AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 863 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #742
Terry: What is the approximate width and length of your room?

Chuck,

It's exactly 23'9" L ..... 19'7" W ..... 9' Ceiling for the Flat-Area where the 6-in-ceiling Triad Atmos speakers are located.
Approximately 4,200 Cubic Feet.

Terry

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
Thanks. I guessed the width as it is very close (within 4") to the width in my room. But in the FWIW category, your cubic footage may be very slightly larger than 4200cf - at least as far as your subs are concerned since they "see" the space that is occupied by the stairwell that goes downstairs. Nice sized room!

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #744
Guys,

Something I have decided to look into is a Full-Cover for the Ekornes Ottoman that sits right in front of the Ekornes Love-seat we sit on.
That Custom-Leather-Furniture is NOT Black it's a Gray color UN-Fortunately. :eek: :( :rolleyes:

And why is that an issue ???
Simple the RS4500 Laser Projector is so BRIGHT shining against the New Stewart Filmscreen ST130 G4 Material.
It's causing the Top of that Ekornes Shiny-Gray Ottoman to SHINE-on-TOP and that's somewhat annoying.
Easy solution is to simply get an appropriate Black-Cover for it that will absorb light and problem solved.
I've actually been so Concerned/Overly-Worried about the RS4500 I've UN-Intentionally put the Ekornes Ottoman situation on the Back-Burner.
This afternoon after hearing, well actually, the E-Mail from Mike Garrett regarding the RS4500 has gotten me once again All-Fired-Up on getting that cover.

I have found two (2) Companies that have Ottoman-Black-Covers that will work.
The one I think I prefer happens to be three (3) times more expensive than the other that's made in China.
But ............
The one (1) I think I want is made in the View attachment 3026180 View attachment 3026180 View attachment 3026180 and as silly as that might seem to some I prefer that if it's especially the much-much-better product.
(It ^^^ is a Custom-made-Cover)

Below is a general picture of what I'm seeking.
Of course this is NOT the exact one (1) I hope turns-out to be the one (1) made in the View attachment 3026180

I sent in my request for a Patch of the Exact material and that Request has been acknowledged and will soon be on it's way.
I want to try to make sure the Black material doesn't appear to be Shiny.

Terry
Guys,

Gave some additional thought on the two companies and the ottoman black covers they offer.
One company in China has the "Stretch" type with "Elastic" at the bottom to hold it in place.
I have decided it ^^^ would be to me a PAIN to put on and off to get into the Ekornes ottoman's contents.
So, I have now "Eliminated" it ...........

I have as of late last night (Friday) actually placed my order with the Company that's located here in the USA and the Black-Ottoman-Cover is actually made by them.
It is a "Custom-Ottoman-Cover" with No-Stretch material or Elastic at it's bottom.
You simply lay it on the Ottoman and when there is a need to get anything out of it simply pick the Black-Cover-Up.
I have already received Confirmation of them receiving my order and payment.

They require three (3) pictures so for 1 of my three I sent this one below so there will be No-Doubt about Size/Dimensions.

MADE IN THE USA

Complete "Measuring Guide" is available upon clicking on "Price or Order" Button

• Custom ottoman covers are made in square, rectangular, round, oval or made from template provided by you. We understand that repeated use of your favorite ottoman may cause it to wear out prematurely and become frayed at the edges, looking worn out and old before its time. And although your ottoman may not be the main feature in your room’s design, it will surely attract negative attention if it looks worn or torn. Why replace a perfectly good piece of furniture when you can have a custom made ottoman slipcover crafted to your specific piece.
  • 7 business days.
  • This product is made to order and is Not returnable.
  • Prices includes our fabric and labor. We do not offer piping or trimmings.
  • Cushion Covers, Pillow Covers, Fabric, Swatches etc. See Related Products below.
Now the wait begins but I think this is going to be a 1ST Class cover and get rid of the Shine from the top of the Ekornes Ottoman.

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #745
Thanks. I guessed the width as it is very close (within 4") to the width in my room. But in the FWIW category, your cubic footage may be very slightly larger than 4200cf - at least as far as your subs are concerned since they "see" the space that is occupied by the stairwell that goes downstairs.
Nice sized room!
Chuck,

Your exactly correct those measurements are of the room and not that Open-Staircase leading up to it.
So, as you say it's actually greater than the 4,200 Cubic Feet.
(Nice catch buddy) (y)
You know I have walked up and actually stood at the very back of it and just looked at it's size overall.
(While waiting for the JVC RS4500 to return and of course those 4-SVS PB-16 ULTRA subs to be installed)
It's a pretty doggone nice size H/T as you said.

Terry

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Terry,
Nice that you could find a black cover for your shiny ottoman and one made in the USA.
Your bat cave will be even more batty.
It shouldn't be long and you will have your projector back and then Charles can complete the install before Chad B comes out for the calibration of everything.

I'm really looking forward to your report once everything is done.
My guess is you will be thrilled with the results.
Cheers,
Tom

Reactions: tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #747
Hi Terry,
Nice that you could find a black cover for your shiny ottoman and one made in the USA.
Your bat cave will be even more batty.
It shouldn't be long and you will have your projector back and then Charles can complete the install before Chad B comes out for the calibration of everything.

I'm really looking forward to your report once everything is done.
My guess is you will be thrilled with the results.
Cheers,
Tom
Bro Tom,

Rest assured I will be posting my thoughts on the completed H/T once it gets there. (y)

You know unless JVC in CA keeps it for Long-Term-Testing they might be sending/shipping it to me this coming week. 🚐

And if that's so and I know ahead of time with an E-Mail with the Tracking information I can Forward that to Charles at

And he could then make a time for Jason & Tucker to come do the installs. 🎶 🎵 🎶

Now I'm allowing myself to get "EXCITED". ✅
Terry

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #748 (Edited)
Some thoughts on how very-very-very far my H/T has changed from 2012 until what's coming soon in 2020.
Below is 2012 pictures guys ............
You will see the Mirage BPS 400 subs, Runco 1080p projector, Integra Audio Processor, Blue-Ray player, Stewart Filmscreen (Firehawk) as well as the Leather Furniture we had on hand back then and other things.
Not to mention the Maroon color interior.
I should also mention if you look closely we were then sitting way-way back in the H/T almost to where the Rails to the Staircase are.
Take notice that the JML Utopia rear speakers were sitting on stands NOT as you see them years and years later on Custom Wall-Stands.
Also notice where that Stewart Filmscreen is mounted on the Front-Wall ???
It's actually touch the sloped ceiling on the Top-Left-Corner !!!
Also I am adding to the text here after I actually posted this but I think some additions are necessary.
The Heat & Air conditioning back then was from what is/was referred to as a Split/HVAC System.
It Majorly "SUCKED" and in the Mid summer the H/T would get as high as mid 80's !!!
Of course now the H/T has it's own dedicated HVAC Samsung Split-Unit.

Notice if you look closely at the very bottom of the Media-Rack back then I still had a VHS tapes and a player. LOL !!!

And this last picture is my Long-Term Car and H/T buddy Tom Cochran from San Antonio, TEXAS.
He has flown up and drove up many times since back in 2008 to visit.
Below is him back in 2012 in the then H/T he liked it even then guys. (y)

This is what was just installed and are now gone the 4 SVS PB-4000 Subs.

Chad B. getting ready to do the Custom Calibrating and standing in front of the just installed the 123" 16x9 Stewart Filmscreen Studio Tech ST130 G4 material.

And of course the recently installed in-ceiling 6 Triad Atmos speakers Chad will be Calibrating.

Next comes the newly delivered 4 SVS PB-16 ULTRA Subs.

You know it's amazing all the things that have come and gone over all the years we have lived in this house since it was built New back in 1987.
The H/T guys has come so very-very-very far over all the years.
I sometimes just sit back and think how very "Fortunate & Lucky" I am to 1st be Married to Cathy for over 37-years and then having this Truly Awesome H/T.

Lastly, I want to share with you guys the below Video I just now watched and I actually loved it.
I'm a 75 year old guy and believe me when I say I'm NOT a very Trusting-Sole that's an "Under-Statement" !!!
But you know once I got into this subwoofer thing I really-really am totally impressed with the SVS subwoofers.
Some of you saw and read what Chad B. had to say in his post here on this thread after he did his Custom Calibrating.
And that was with the 4 SVS PB-4000 subs.
In the near future he will be returning and then not only Custom Calibrating the Audio but also the Video as the JVC RS4500 will be back from JVC in CA.
But .................
I want to share the videos below with you as I'm so impressed with this guy.
He might be the biggest {Fraud} that ever lived but from my experience with hearing my H/T with the 4 SVS PB-4000 subs I don't think he is.
I'm glad I have chosen SVS and soon I'll be listening to the Custom Calibrated 4 SVS PB-16 ULTRA subwoofers and that's going to be AWESOME I'm thinking.

Premiered Jun 3, 2020
Gary Yacoubian of SVS Audio: Conversations From The Listening Room

Terry

·
Registered
71 Posts
Terry,
That was a nice trip down Memory Lane for me.
I remember well that long-ago visit and how much fun we had.
For those wondering, I was bowing down to Terry's Home Theater as it was a fantastic experience to be in a dedicated room full of the toys we who love music and movies must have: Everything from a big screen to popcorn and drinks.

The quality of the sound and video was really very good for that time.
Now, with all your new equipment, I would imagine words like excellent and superb would be more appropriate.

Cheers my friend,
Tom

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #750
Terry,
That was a nice trip down Memory Lane for me.
I remember well that long-ago visit and how much fun we had.
For those wondering, I was bowing down to Terry's Home Theater as it was a fantastic experience to be in a dedicated room full of the toys we who love music and movies must have: Everything from a big screen to popcorn and drinks.

The quality of the sound and video was really very good for that time.
Now, with all your new equipment, I would imagine words like excellent and superb would be more appropriate.

Cheers my friend,
Tom
Hi Tom,

Well just maybe I will hear from JVC and or Mike Garrett that JVC in CA is shipping the JVC RS4500 laser projector back this coming week. :unsure:
That could happen .............

Yes way back in 2012 when you made that visit we both thought the H/T was pretty Kick-Ass.
My-my how things have changed for the H/T over the now 8 years since 2012.

I'm so looking forward to getting it completed and me just going up to it and Cranking up some of the now generous pile of 4K HDR movies with some having Atmos.

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #751
Guys,

Friday 8/14/2020

Okay I was going to wait to post these next up-dates but due to my most recent news on the JVC RS4500 laser projector.
I have changed my mind ............

I just received the below Up-Date from Mike Garrett here on AVS.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/14/20 3:26 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: tigerhonaker <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Your RS4500 question Mike Garrett on 8/14/2020 ... (tigerhonaker)

From JVC:

"Service is still working on it.
Isolated to a problem in the main processor board.
They are actually working on it right now as we speak.
Hoping to have a further update next week.
I appreciate everyone’s patience."

JVC must have found another issue, when checking everything out.

Thank you,
Mike Garrett
So due to the above information as of this afternoon below is what else I have been doing in preparation to it's (RS4500) return.

I received these disc and looking forward to enjoying them.

... ... ... ...

I have been recently more active over on the dedicated thread for Bass Calibrating.
Mike that is the Author of that Thread shared the below information with me.
This will get passed on to Chad B. when he returns to do the Audio & Video Custom Calibrating.
I have really-really received some outstanding information from that thread guys.
If you haven't been on it and you have a Subwoofer/Subwoofers it's well worth your time to visit it.

I received some "Suggestions" about the Light-Gray-Shiny Ekornes H/T furniture recently from some AVS members.
They said I should do something about those Shiny-Top-Leather-Surfaces as the Super-BRIGHT RS4500 Laser projector was Shining/Glaring off those.
It took me sometime but I found a perfect Company here in the USA that does Custom Covers out of New York in the good ole USA.
I actually ended up calling the Company as I wanted to make absolutely sure I placed my 2nd order correctly.
The 1st order was for the rectangle Ottoman which was pretty darn straight-forward if you can read and follow simple instructions.
After that order I took another much closer look at the H/T and then realized that the two Ekornes Foot Stools were also up-front like the Ottoman.
So, I called and found out exactly how to place that order correctly.
Today I received both of those orders VIA Fed Ex.
Guys, they not only fit perfect but the Black close-knit, tightly-woven material looks great and the other major benefit it has No-Shine guys !!!

I thought some of you would maybe also like to at least see what it looks like so I did take some pictures to share.
The cover for the Ottoman simply slips on with No-Elastic at the bottom edges.
The reason I ordered it that way was for Super-Fast On & Off as I store all sorts of items in the Ottoman.
I did order the two Ekornes Foot-Stools with the Elastic Bottoms to hold those in place.
Luckily I was able to order the exact same Black material for all three pieces of furniture.
The end result is No-More-Shine off any of those three Ekornes Light-Gray-Shiny surfaces.

Below is the 1st invoice for those that might also like to use this company as they do excellent work and a Super-Fast turnaround.

As you can see they ship the covers in these Clear-Plastic Bags with Zippers.
(Everything 1st Class guys)

Below are the actual pictures of the Ekornes furniture that will at least give you a rough idea of the Glossy-Top Surfaces I think.
(I have on a 500-Watt Halogen work-light it's Super BRIGHT)

Well guys that's what I have been up to recently.
I Highly recommend the Slipcover Shop if you have the need.

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #753
You're getting a backlog of great movies !
I always have a backlog myself.
Craig,

I do have a really nice Starter Assortment of 4K movies now for sure. (y)
I actually choose not to watch those really-really frequently.
I like to save and watch them over a Long-Period-of-Time as that way to me they are more enjoyable.
Something I have tried to do and stay up on is Subscribing to the Dedicated Threads for the Best Atmos 4K movies and the Best Bass in 4K movies.

Terry

·
Premium Member
10,912 Posts
Craig,

I do have a really nice Starter Assortment of 4K movies now for sure. (y)
I actually choose not to watch those really-really frequently.
I like to save and watch them over a Long-Period-of-Time as that way to me they are more enjoyable.
Something I have tried to do and stay up on is Subscribing to the Dedicated Threads for the Best Atmos 4K movies and the Best Bass in 4K movies.

Terry
Based upon my experience in choosing movies for great sound (Atmos and Bass) it is really easy to come up with some real dogs in the "movie quality" category. Some of the Transformer movies come to mind. There was recently a "deal" on buying all of them for a seriously low price in 4K/HDR. I gave up watching them after I had seen two of them. Is the sound track good? Yes. But the actual quality of the movies? Not so much. Unfortunately, those are not the only movies I have purchased for reasons other than the quality of the movie itself.

On the other end of the spectrum is the new 4K/HDR release of "Mr Smith Goes To Washington" Two channel mono; black and white; 4:3 aspect ratio. I'd rather watch that multiple times than way too many of the movies I have purchased that JUST had great soundtracks.

Bu that's just me.

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #755
Based upon my experience in choosing movies for great sound (Atmos and Bass) it is really easy to come up with some real dogs in the "movie quality" category. Some of the Transformer movies come to mind. There was recently a "deal" on buying all of them for a seriously low price in 4K/HDR. I gave up watching them after I had seen two of them. Is the sound track good? Yes. But the actual quality of the movies? Not so much. Unfortunately, those are not the only movies I have purchased for reasons other than the quality of the movie itself.

On the other end of the spectrum is the new 4K/HDR release of "Mr Smith Goes To Washington" Two channel mono; black and white; 4:3 aspect ratio. I'd rather watch that multiple times than way too many of the movies I have purchased that JUST had great soundtracks.

Bu that's just me.
Hi Chuck,

Well we are of the same mind-set on some of the suppose to be "Awesome" 4K movies that's for sure.
Some to me and certainly just my opinion ..... (Majorly-Suck) for content other than the audio that is.

I do happen to have the movie of "Mr Smith Goes To Washington" and have seen it multiple times.
I have the New/Latest version that I haven't seen yet.

Terry

·
Registered
327 Posts
Boy, they sure are taking their time getting your projector fixed Terry! Your patience is to be admired ;))

I've made a few upgrades myself, see Atmos Speaker Hunt

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #757 (Edited)
Boy, they sure are taking their time getting your projector fixed Terry! Your patience is to be admired ;))

I've made a few upgrades myself, see Atmos Speaker Hunt
Chrislee,

Oh it's the guy from Chicago with the 2-SVS PB-16 ULTRA Subs. ✅

Well speaking of the RS4500 projector situation and me with patience.
I have made myself as I have gotten a lot older (75) to stay calm if at all possible.
My thinking on this projector thing is ..............
I'll stay calm as what I really want is for the guy/guys techs working on it at JVC in CA to (Make 100% sure it's Right) before shipping it back to me.
If that takes longer for more in-depth testing so be it.
When it gets back here then it will get reinstalled along with the New SVS 4 PB-16 ULTRA Subs.
Then I'll place the call to Chad B to come do Both the Custom-Tuning for the Audio & Video.
It's not going to break me for what Chad B cost, and Not the cost of Labor to have it installed, but I sure don't want to have to "Repeat-the-Process" !!!

Chrislee said,
I decided to go big and upgraded to the HTP-1, which then unfort. encouraged me to go big on my Atmos speakers, so I ordered 4-Triad's In Ceiling Silver/SAT6. I picked it b/c I love the angled placement of the two drivers, same fabric dome tweeters and same 6" mids used in my Tidal speakers. Installers all backlogged so I'm looking at Oct. for install. Which is fine b/c I don't have amplification worked out yet for these 4 channels.
Those Triad Atmos speakers are going to Rock Pal.🎵 🎶 🗽

I should know I'm somewhat familiar with Triad in-ceiling Atmos speakers see below Signature. 🎼

Terry

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well I very much look forward to seeing it all put together with your impressions ;) I love watching it all come together!

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #759
Well I very much look forward to seeing it all put together with your impressions ;) I love watching it all come together!
Chrislee,

Well buddy that makes at a minimum at least two of us ^^^
I'm really-really anxious to See and Hear both and hopefully that will ........ maybe take place at least sometime in September. ✅
I think the 4 SVS PB16 ULTRA subs are going to not only Sound-Awesome but also look Great in my H/T.
I have the 4 places for them now all set with Dedicated 20-Amp separate services and also the feeds for the audio.
All that is left now is placing those in their places on the New .................

And also under All 4 will be the SVS .............

Good times are coming,
Terry

·
Registered
327 Posts
hehe....your elec. panel must be Huge!! And I actually have used the SVS sub feet on an older REL sub. And it was a very audible improvement (used on a floor with unfinished/open sub basement...flimsy floor)

741 - 760 of 863 Posts