AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Happy Holidays! I just got a Panasonic 54inch plasma (tc-p54g20) and am looking for a audio/video setup. Unfortunately my budget is tight, maybe $500-600 max, and I am looking for a receiver that can upconvert to 1080p in hdmi with several hdmi connectors and some speakers and a sub woofer.

After reading this forum and the HTiB forum, I've come to realize anything I get in a full HTIB will be very very low end and kinda crappy. My uses are 80% movies, 20% entertainment (birthdays, holiday parties). I have a living room with 3 walls and the 4th wall opens into a kitchen so there is some pretty big room there. I also have tile floors (florida)..

I saw that newegg was doing a $250 deal for the Polk RM-95, but I see this requires a sub woofer and then I'd need a receiver. Honestly, I am ok with 2 fronts, a center, and a subwoofer + receiver if I can get something above the Htib quality? Originally I was looking at the Denon DHT-591BA which has boston acoustic speakers, a sub, and a receiver that can do 1080p video upconverting + some HDMI channels but Im worried about the music aspect of my needs. I'd like to bounce my needs off of you guys to see what you would suggest? You guys are like libraries of knowledge, I read all of these threads and am pulled into so many directions that I am back to being decidedly undecided

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy /forum/post/19521453

I read all of these threads and am pulled into so many directions that I am back to being decidedly undecided

Thanks!

Some times a ball of confusion can be interesting.

You have a hard budget and will have to make comprimises. Have

you started to look on Ebay. Have you checked your local Craig

list. A new or refurbish receiver will run around $300, and you may

have to go with 2 towers and a center to start. A small sub/sat

system will require a high crossover to the sats.

There are some budget minded people on this forum who may chime

in with some good ideas. For now go to www.ac4l.com and look at

the Onkyo 608 refurbish receiver. Then look at the Celestion tower

and center speakers. My favorite budget system, is the new Pioneer

speakers at Best Buy. You can get the towers and center speaker

for $280.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My viewing room is 22x17 and the back of the viewing opens (no wall) into a kitchen which is 17x17 with 18foot vaulted ceiling. We aren't enthusists and I kind of need the speakers for the NY Eve party I will be having, so skipping on the sub probably wouldn't be the best idea, right (no idea here)? I'm not broke but I'm sure I won't be able to convince the wife that $800 for a speaker system is necessary (women!), if I told my wife we'd be getting 2 speakers and a receiver for $600 she'd probably shoot me *IF* it didn't sound like it played music well so if I go that route, I'd probably have to know for sure that 2 fronts and the receiver would do well for both parties and movies.

A little background.. We have never ever owned a speaker system for music or movies, we had some beat up old crap $100 stereo for years and never listened to music because of it and for TVs we just used the TV speaker. I'd like to change that as she does love music and maybe our being cheap on this issue has been long over due to be addressed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I will definitely look into your suggestions! Rob, I noticed the receiver you mentioned does not have up conversion to 1080p abilities, or at least it didn't mention it in the website I checked out. Did you not like the refurbished Onyx that was mentioned in this thread or are you generally wary of refurbished receivers?

Again, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok Rob, if you endorse it better than your original suggestion, I'll bite.. I know your original suggestion was a build up over time, but is this just as good?

Yay or Nay?!

Honestly this is in my price range and would solve my complete system problem if you feel this could do the job with good home theatre sound and have a dual use for music in my unusual family room opened to the kitchen?

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
Not quite sure why you need a receiver that upconverts to 1080p when you TV probably does a better job of it. All you really need is a receiver that'll convert analog inputs to HDMI and then let the TV do the rest.

The 591BA would be a good system but your room is rather large.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well my wife nixxed the New Egg deal.. In her words "They are hideous looking!". Women are so difficult.. I actually think they look powerful and masculine which is probably why she doesn't like em.

She might like the HT-S7100 though since they look sleek and come with 2 stands. I dunno, I just assumed you needed a 1080p upconverting receiver to be able to watch stuff in 1080p with a tv that can handle it? Guess I was wrong there.. How do these speakers sound? I dunno how I'd use the last 2 speakers in the back considering I have no back wall..

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
If you don't need the extra two speakers for 7.1 just store them in a closet or the garage. You can easily setup the system as 5.1. The 9300 also comes with 7 speakers and a sub.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy /forum/post/19537421

She might like the HT-S7100 though since they look sleek and come with 2 stands. I dunno, I just assumed you needed a 1080p upconverting receiver to be able to watch stuff in 1080p with a tv that can handle it? Guess I was wrong there.

The only device you'll have that is actually 1080p will be a blu ray player. That doesn't need any upconverting. The onkyo receiver will let it pass as is. HDTV is 720p or 1080i and your TV will upconvert it to its native resolution.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
They stopped selling this model because Onkyo replaces their systems every year. there is a 7300 this year, a 7200 last year and a 7100 the year before. Same thing with with their receivers. 608 this year, 607 last year, 606 the year before.

If you're uncomfortable with refurbished products be advised they come with a 1 yr mfrs warranty. Also most people who have purchased from shoponkyo say everythiing looks brand new when they receive their systems. Could just be leftover inventory. But if you still are uncomfortable then skip it and look elsewhere. It is your money.

The 5300 is a current model but doesn't have analog to HDMI conversion. If you have all HDMI devices then it doesn't matter.

Maybe the Denon 591BA will do the trick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts