AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Lowe's today shopping around and ran across a 4x8 sheet of Aquatile tileboard.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...605&lpage=none


Could it be useable as a screen? It seems like there is some reflectivity to it, but will need a closer look. Input anyone?


edit: I searched a found a couple month old thread on this, anyone care to update with any new info?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, well I am sure that this is posted somewhere, but whats the paint formula for a screen in a light controlled room?


good to know abou the lowes discount!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Yea, i just put my screen together today using it. Really great stuff ot use IF you paint it.


If not it is way too glossy, i cant paint mine till Sunday and im using it anyway till then but you can easily easily see the reflection from the projector on the screen (very distracting).


I have seen many people use this but they paint it, otherwise it is like Clarence said - way too glossy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper /forum/post/0


Yea, i just put my screen together today using it. Really great stuff ot use IF you paint it.


If not it is way too glossy, i cant paint mine till Sunday and im using it anyway till then but you can easily easily see the reflection from the projector on the screen (very distracting).


I have seen many people use this but they paint it, otherwise it is like Clarence said - way too glossy

What paint are you using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet1 /forum/post/0


I use it to paint on... no problems. I look for sheets with slight damage which I can still cut down to desired size. Lowe's knocks them down to $5 with a little damage.

Can Lowe's cut it or what did you use to cut yours?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper /forum/post/0


Lowes and HD both will cut it for you for free (Only 2 cuts).


The Paint im going to use is Sherwin Williams "Grey Screen"

If you dont mind me asking, why did you choose that color? I have a light controlled room and want to be sure I would pick the right shade. Kinda new at all this DIY Home Theater stuff. Thanks for all your help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
The room i have my PJ in is my bedroom, and i can have it dark during the day if i want but i would rather have a little ambient light, and i have the HD70 Projector so it needs a little help with contrast which is why i went for a light grey instead of white.


The Sherwin Williams Grey Screen is very close to neutral gray which means it will add the contrast without causing discoloration to some colors
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
I'm using tileboard from Home Depot as a temporary cheap screen for testing purposes right now. Like previously stated, it's way too glossy. The light just reflects right off it. Especially annoying when you have a crt and you can see the red, green, and blue guns on the screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grae /forum/post/0


I'm using tileboard from Home Depot as a temporary cheap screen for testing purposes right now. Like previously stated, it's way too glossy. The light just reflects right off it. Especially annoying when you have a crt and you can see the red, green, and blue guns on the screen.

If you have a CRT projector you really should take a look at Designer White...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper /forum/post/0


The room i have my PJ in is my bedroom, and i can have it dark during the day if i want but i would rather have a little ambient light, and i have the HD70 Projector so it needs a little help with contrast which is why i went for a light grey instead of white.


The Sherwin Williams Grey Screen is very close to neutral gray which means it will add the contrast without causing discoloration to some colors

I am going to get the exact same projector. Sounds like a good thing to try at least. If it doesn't work, I'm not out that much $
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Just an update on the tileboard - Put 2 base primer coats on it and they are drying currently, but the glare has been COMPLETLY removed so thats a good thing.


Tomorrow i will put on two coats of True-Value "Winter Frost" aka Winter Mountain


And then maybe a bit later i will put on some flat poly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsiViper /forum/post/0


Note to self -- Dont wear a nice black work shirt when using white paint

ROTFLMAO



when doing something like painting with a roller (Indoors) I often strip down to just the jockey shorts....


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Oh well, ruined one shirt but the screen sure turned out nice


All the glare is gone and i found out the Winter Frost isnt the same as Winter mountain. Its alot lighter, but it gave me quite a bit more contrast with heavy ambient light.


Also when painted the glare was completely removed, so all in all the tileboard seemed to work out well..
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top