AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My couch is about 1 ft away from the back wall, so once I'm seated my head is about 1.5 ft away from the back wall. Right now, I have my surround back speakers flush mounted in the back wall about 3 ft above my head facing straight towards the screen, and about 3ft apart from each other.

I'm thinking about tilting them both down a little towards my ears. Is that a bad idea? Should I keep them facing straight front, or is there a better position for them? BTW, the speakers are M&K K-5 direct radiating.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Point them toward the listener. Or as a compromise each one about a third of the way along its end of the couch. Most speakers have very poor high frequency output at 90' off the tweeter axis, where you are now.

Alternatively, if you find that they're too close to your ears, try bouncing the sound off the ceiling.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
Or as a compromise each one about a third of the way along its end of the couch. Most speakers have very poor high frequency output at 90' off the tweeter axis, where you are now.
Sorry DMF, What do you mean by "each one about a third of the way along its end of the couch"? Do you mean point them slightly away from the listener towards the end of the couch? (pointing away from each other as well)

But pointing them towards the listener is still the best right?

thanks for the input.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Yeah. The thing is, a couch can have more the one listener. So I was suggesting pointing them between the seats, which would actually be to either side of the central seat.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Interesting site, thanks!

marius, one thing that hasn't been said is that with a listening position against the back wall, 7.1 can cause more problems than it provides thrills. Your best setup may be a 5.1 arrangement.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jermy4
There is some good info on this site about speaker placement.
Thanks for the article, but it seems to apply to 5.1 setup only though. I have surround backs as well as surround sides, which are already above ear level pointing at each other. I'm wondering about the existing surround backs which I'd like to optimize in terms of placement.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
my setup sounds the same as yours and i tilted my back surrounds and they sounded way better, I tryed the 5.1 thing but decieded on 7.1 because it really does sound better fills in the back spot which to me was always lacking a bit in 5.1 . Now all they need to do is make 7.4 and i will be very happy!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by N8DOGG
my setup sounds the same as yours and i tilted my back surrounds and they sounded way better, I tryed the 5.1 thing but decieded on 7.1 because it really does sound better fills in the back spot which to me was always lacking a bit in 5.1 . Now all they need to do is make 7.4 and i will be very happy!!!
So you tilted them towards the listener(s)? I'll have to try it i guess, but it does take a bit of an effort to try different placements.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marius
Do you mean point them slightly away from the listener towards the end of the couch? (pointing away from each other as well)
Just noticed this. How close together do you have them? How wide is the wall?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DMF
Just noticed this. How close together do you have them? How wide is the wall?
The back speakers are about 2.5 ft apart from each other. The left one is about 3 ft from the side wall, but the right side of the room opens into the kitchen/nook so pretty far from the right side wall.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Surround sound speaker type (monopole, dipole, etc.) and surround speaker placement is very subjective, so no single approach is best. Try the Dolby site for good recommendations.

Having said that, IMO, your room with the coach back up against the wall is not optimal for 7.1. I would argue that a properly setup 5.1 configuration would sound better in your room. For Example, you could take the money you spend on the 2 extra surround back speakers and upgrade the surround sides.

Too often I see people fall under the impressions that more is better, and why not use the 7.1 feature on their AVRs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit07
Surround sound speaker type (monopole, dipole, etc.) and surround speaker placement is very subjective, so no single approach is best. Try the Dolby site for good recommendations.

Having said that, IMO, your room with the coach back up against the wall is not optimal for 7.1. I would argue that a properly setup 5.1 configuration would sound better in your room. For Example, you could take the money you spend on the 2 extra surround back speakers and upgrade the surround sides.

Too often I see people fall under the impressions that more is better, and why not use the 7.1 feature on their AVRs.
Thanks Mit, but I'm one of those guys who is determined to take advantage of the 7.1 features of my new receiver (Yammy 1400). The articles I've been reading on the internet (although conflicting at times) seem to suggest toe'ing in the direct radiating speakers so I'll give that a try once I get the proper mounts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.