Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short Version:

Will any 'budget' speakers [Primus] match up with 'premium' speakers [Vifa,Axiom]

Long Version:

I'm still trying to make decisions on pieceing together my first real system. I want amazing stereo, as it will mainly be used for music (including recording in my bedroom studio) meaning I want |accuracy and imaging| that just submerges you.

My question is this... If I bite the bullet and get fronts along the lines of

- Parts-Express' Vifa Kit

- Axiom M3ti

- Athena AS-B2

- or Paradigms (dont know what line I can afford as I can never find prices/a place to buy them)

...do i have a chance at a decent 5.1 system? I can't afford any more than 2 really nice speakers. Are there any options around this where it won't sound cheesy, like 2 Infinity Primus backs + center? I know my All-In-One solution probably sounds silly to a lot of you, but I'm paying my way through school right now and I dont want to play the waiting game. I'm ready for a nice setup now. Put it like this, I almost just bought 4 Primus 160s, c25, dayton 12 and called it a day, but stopped at the last minute to re-evaluate. Thanks you guys for all the opinions so far. I hate living where I can't listen myself.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You need to match the front 3 based on manufaturer and series. Not price. You can have 3 $400 speakers up front, but if they all different, what's the point they will never be voice matched?

Surrounds won't mater NEAR as much as the front 3 match.

buy the front 2 of your choice, run phantom while saving for it's matching center.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Have you considered looking at used speakers ? Somtimes you can save significantly over original retail and possibly end up with better speakers.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Ideally, you match on drivers, not brand/series. Note that I said "not," as opposed to "not only."

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Takes more then drivers to be matched. Xover,etc plays big part in it. Since series is USUALLY voicematched, that is the way to do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wouldnt mind going the used route, but i never really see much of the beforementioned on ebay or audiogon.... but if i did go that way what would you suggest? Which do you think has the best imaging?

Athenas seem to be priced well on ebay. Maybe (4) B1s + C1 ? looks like it would be in the $400 range which would be perfect, that's how much my original Primus plan was going to cost me. the audiophile in me kicks in though and imagines getting the speakers with a hole in one of the woofers. but if the athenas vs primus would be like night and day, i'll probably do that for sure.

how much do the rear speakers matter then? what kind of difference is it? as in, is it only noticable if you're listening for it, and just -all- matched speakers would be more transparent? or is it a huge matter?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Unless you know that different speakers sound the same, it's usually a safe bet that they don't.

Seth

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.