AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 /forum/post/0

Is there such a thing as Timbre matching a sub? I would think sub brand wouldn't make a difference. I have an all polk set up, but I was looking to buy a Velodyne 10'' sub.

You don't really need to timbre match a sub to your mains or center. Is not as critical, as say, matching the timbre of your mains and your center, (or backs if you used them for music in a 5.1 configuration). I have been told, however, that you do want to stay away from matching huge sub driver sizes with woofer sizes on mains that are way too small. You can do it, but the sound quality is not the best. Something having to do with a disparity in dynamic ranges, impact, and in some extreme circumstances, overall timbre quality along the mids/low mids. The sub is forced to serve as both a subwoofer and as a mid or woofer driver for the system for these mids/low mids ranges. And this is not supposed to be the job of even the most capable of subs. Their job is supposed to be conveying the lowest frequencies and dynamic impact that is encoded in the source material.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by set2374 /forum/post/0

Is there such a thing as Timbre matching a sub? I would think sub brand wouldn't make a difference. I have an all polk set up, but I was looking to buy a Velodyne 10'' sub.

Most definately go with the Velodyne over the Polk (I have both, so speaking from experience).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.