AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that one things THX (Select too) claims is that its receivers will do timbre matching? Is this true? If I get a THX certified receiver, do I not have to worry as much about timbre matching?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Where do you see that the receiver will do timbre matching? And just what kind of timbre matching are you referring to. THX receivers provide some basic automatic timbre matching between front and surround speakers, but I don't think that is what you are thinking about.

In another sense THX timbre matching means that the front and surround speakers from a THX certified speaker line are timbre matched. But if you mix and match products from different lines and manufacturers you still have to deal with timbre matching.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Timbre Matching alters the timbre of the surround channels to more closely align with that of the front channels. Due to the surround channel speakers’ position on the wall above the seated position their timbre or specific sound quality aspects are changed versus the main speakers requiring adjustment to more closely match all the speakers in the system."

Thats from a THX info page

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Timbre Matching is one of the standard THX electronics' technologies that all THX certified pre-pros/receivers have. Once properly set up, it does this with any speakers, not just THX certified speakers. What this does is help to make front-to back and left-to-right sound pans have a more seamless quality.

It's not a miracle cure for using loudspeakers that aren't well matched to each other in your system!

Eric

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it helps, but is no replacement for properly matched speakers... still sounds pretty cool :)

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I'm sceptical. Proper timbre matching comes from careful selection of speakers with near identical drivers properly positioned in the room. Electronic correction to compensate for this is not "timbre matching" but good marketing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.