AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 7.1 Ascend Acoustic system (obviously timbre matched). I am thinking of upgrading my mains to Def Tech BP 7200 and my Center to Def Tech CLR2500.

My question is, do I need to buy Def Tech surrounds as well to timbre match or can I get away with timbre matching my Mains and Center? I really do not want to change my surrounds if I don't have to but I don't want it to sound "funny" either.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Timbre matching the surrounds are not as crucial as matching the L/C/R. Unless you of course listen to multi-channel music most of the time. For HT it will work just fine.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/15570128

Timbre matching the surrounds are not as crucial as matching the L/C/R. Unless you of course listen to multi-channel music most of the time. For HT it will work just fine.

Thanks for your speedy response. Yes, my system is mostly for HT. It is good to know I do not need to change my surrounds, as I am happy with them and they are placed in the wall.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 /forum/post/15570170

Thanks for your speedy response. Yes, my system is mostly for HT. It is good to know I do not need to change my surrounds, as I am happy with them and they are placed in the wall.

Should be no problem at all, have fun listening to your new speakers!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/15570128

Buzzackly right.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perfect!

I am also going to replace my Ascend Rears with my Ascend Mains, so I am sure the overall sound quality will boom.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 /forum/post/15570627

Perfect!

I am also going to replace my Ascend Rears with my Ascend Mains, so I am sure the overall sound quality will boom.

If the room allows it then go nuts. To me i find there is no advantage but only take more rooms and WAF. I would only do that if i have timbre match all the speakers to hear multi channel music.

·
Premium Member
14,209 Posts
The bigger question is why are you considering the Def Tech's? You'll be using a monopolar CC with bipolar L/R's. That can't possibly be a good timbre-match. The reflected sound of the bipoles will be timber "adjusted" by the room reflections *much* differently than the CC.

Personally, I don't care for bipoles for the L/R's. They don't present a precise enough image. They're harder to set up and more impacted by room acoustics. For proper imaging of the front soundstage, I prefer all monopoles across the front. Then I treat the first reflection points to minimize the impact of the room. You can't really do that with bipoles.

Just my $0.02.

Craig

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john /forum/post/15570918

The bigger question is why are you considering the Def Tech's? You'll be using a monopolar CC with bipolar L/R's. That can't possibly be a good timbre-match. The reflected sound of the bipoles will be timber "adjusted" by the room reflections *much* differently than the CC.

Personally, I don't care for bipoles for the L/R's. They don't present a precise enough image. They're harder to set up and more impacted by room acoustics. For proper imaging of the front soundstage, I prefer all monopoles across the front. Then I treat the first reflection points to minimize the impact of the room. You can't really do that with bipoles.

Just my $0.02.

Craig

I am going to replace my L/R's with DefTech BP 7002 as well as my CC with CLR 2500. I was under the assumption that both these models were timbre matched?

·
Premium Member
14,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 /forum/post/15571134

I am going to replace my L/R's with DefTech BP 7002 as well as my CC with CLR 2500. I was under the assumption that both these models were timbre matched?

They may be "timbre-matched" in that they use similar drivers and the front-radiated sound may be similar. (Timbre-matched means that the tonality of the speakers is the same; they emphasize and mask the same frequencies. The treble will sound the same from each speaker, as will the midrange, as will the bass.) However, in a bipolar speaker the rear speakers add a different set of issues because they are so influenced by the environment. The reflected sound from the rear-facing speakers will be "changed" by the materials it reflects off of. Whether that is glass or drywall or draperies or a cabinet or a picture or a tapestry, these will impact the reflected sound. When the back radiated sound combines with the front radiated sound, this will change the timbre of the sound you actually *hear*, whether it originated from the speaker timbre-matched or not. The monopolar CC won't have this influence and the final sound from the CC will be different than the final sound from the L/R's. (If the L and R are in different acoustic environments, they'll be different as well. This is why bipoles are harder to set up and get *right*.)

This also affects the imaging, especially for sounds that move, (pan) from one speaker to another. They'll go from being large, diffuse sounds with one tonality on one side, to pinpoint sounds with a different tonality in the center, and then to large diffuse sounds with yet another tonality on the other side. I (personally) find this distracting. This is why I prefer all the front speakers to be the same, and all monopolar. I am using 3 of the exact same monopoles across the front soundstage. This provides the best chance for a perfect timbre-match. Of course the room will still impact the final timbre-match, but I deal with that through acoustic treatments at the reflection points.

Many people seem to like the large diffuse nature of bipolar speakers, as evidenced by the success of Def Tech and other bipole manufacturers. I enjoy them for music. Their large, imprecise soundstage can be very convincing for orchestral music or music recorded in large concert halls, where pinpoint localization of instruments is lacking. However, for HT, where I *prefer* pinpoint localization of sounds, I *prefer* the direct sound of monopoles for HT.

I think, if timbre-matching is important to you, you should listen carefully to those Def Tech bipoles with a monopole CC to be sure you like it.

Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts