AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pretty much a noob on the audio side of things. I was researching about timbre matching l/c/r and was puzzled by the the thought of a tower speaker being tonaly matched to a much smaller center channel. At least half the speaker families I see include a center with a different size (smaller) driver then the l/r speakers. Now, wouldn't a smaller driver in a much smaller enclosure produce a sound that is tonaly different then the tower speakers or am I just not understanding the absolute definition of timbre matching.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
True, the different enclosure, driver layout, and even different driver sizes can affect the timbre. And the different locations and placement of the L/R and center speakers within the room will also affect their relative timbres.

But the speakers' tweeters play a big role (and perhaps the biggest) in timbre matching and matched L/R and center speakers will (almost) always have the same tweeter. For 3-way (and more) speakers, the midrange driver can also play a large role in timbre matching.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim  /t/1473108/timbre-matching-questions#post_23325442

True, the different enclosure, driver layout, and even different driver sizes can affect the timbre. And the different locations and placement of the L/R and center speakers within the room will also affect their relative timbres.

But the speakers' tweeters play a big role (and perhaps the biggest) in timbre matching and matched L/R and center speakers will (almost) always have the same tweeter. For 3-way (and more) speakers, the midrange driver can also play a large role in timbre matching.

Gotcha. The tweeters, as you stated, are almost always the same size from what I have seen so that makes sense. The other thing I noticed is often the l/r will have a dedicated midrange driver as well as a low frequency driver and of course the tweeter. Most center channels I see look to be a 2-way design. I would believe that would make impact on the front stage audio.

The reason I am asking these questions is I really want a great sounding system. I'm working out the details of either purchasing the standard style center channel or making modifications to incorporate another vertical speaker. I have also thought about a bookshelf speaker with at least the same size driver and tweeter as the l/r speakers. Of course all speakers would be from the same family.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts