AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a lot of research before I start building some high end 3-way mains and one thing I started to wonder is how do I make sure its all timbre matched.

It just seems that as long as I keep all my drivers and crossover settings the same for all 3 speakers, then sonically that is timbre matching, correct?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14230140

I have been doing a lot of research before I start building some high end 3-way mains and one thing I started to wonder is how do I make sure its all timbre matched.

It just seems that as long as I keep all my drivers and crossover settings the same for all 3 speakers, then sonically that is timbre matching, correct?

More to it than that. How are the speakers loaded, i.e., size of cabinet, dampening material and amount of dampening material, placement and alignment of drivers, etc etc etc. Ideally, you want to have the exact same 3 speakers across the front sound stage. If you can't accomplish this, then get them as close to the same as possible.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
size of cabinet, dampening material and amount of dampening material, placement and alignment of drivers, etc etc etc. Ideally, you want to have the exact same 3 speakers across the front sound stage.

so timbre matching is more or less making sure all specs, measurements and so on are exact for each of the speakers?

So with that definition in mind, when manufactures change the center channel to a horizontal alignment can we conclude that timbre matching is less then perfect?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14230208

so timbre matching is more or less making sure all specs, measurements and so on are exact for each of the speakers?

So with that definition in mind, when manufactures change the center channel to a horizontal alignment can we conclude that timbre matching is less then perfect?

Yup, and is one of the reasons that most suggest that a vertically aligned center that mimics your mains is more desirable.

When manufacturers create a horizontal aligned center, it is a compromise to exchange a bit of audio performance for ease of placement, but it IS a compromise.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!

I will be designing my Center Channel a little bit different then my mains because I do have restrictions but it wont be that bad besides I have been married for 14 years so I live in a world of compromise!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14230255

Thanks!!

I will be designing my Center Channel a little bit different then my mains because I do have restrictions but it wont be that bad besides I have been married for 14 years so I live in a world of compromise!

Believe me, I understand

1 - 6 of 6 Posts