AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the whole set of energy encore speakers, and they are supposed to be timbre matched. So how come when I play the spl calibration pink noise, the satellites don't sound the same as the center channel? At first I thought it might be because the center was above me on top of the tv while the satellites are at ear level, but I walked to each speaker as the pink noise moved and stood with my ear right in front of each one. The center doesn't sound exactly the same. It's not a volume difference either, it seems like it's a different speaker.

So my question is, when it is timbre matched, does that mean in general, when playing music or watching a movie, that the voice or sound won't change? But when playing pink noise, maybe the frequency response isn't exactly the same so it can't sound exactly the same?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
1. Pink noise has equal energy in each octave. If a speaker plays lower, the tonal character will be different.

2. Identical speakers will only sound the same when placed identically with respect to walls and large objects. On top of the TV, your center speaker will have much more bass/mid-bass output than if it was on a normal speaker stand.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Actually,

The only way for the speakers to be timbre matched is that all of the speakers should be totally identical. I am assuming that your center channel uses two woofers instead of one to reproduce the midrange. When this is used, the off axis response is totally different from a speaker that only uses one woofer. So what should you do?

I suggest that you change the center speaker to be the same exact model as your front speakers. Make sure you get the sheiled one if sheilding affects your video display.

James

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the center speaker has two woofers instead of the one in the satellites. The documentation and advertising claim they are timbre matched. Do all center speakers that claim to be timbre matched to a surround in the same line, actually sound slightly different? I don't notice any difference playing regular program material, the difference does seem to only occur with the pink noise.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
They may still actually sound very similar, if they are sent the same frequency (and the frequency is in the range of the speaker).

The pink noise is sending a wide frequency range, so the speakers will sound different since one of the speakers can handle more bass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.