AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that this Thursday's episode of ER is listed in my program guide (Insight Cable, Champaign IL) as 8:59 to 10:00 p.m. (C.D.T.). Is this just an error in my cable company's guide, or is it the "official" starting time from NBC?

That extra minute creates a conflict for taping CSI from 8:00 to 9:00 on CBS. If I were the paranoid type, I'd guess that this quirky scheduling was an NBC plot to keep DVR users from taping CSI.

Since my 5160 doesn't offer negative padding (starting a show one minute late or ending it one minute early), do I have to set up two manual records? Or is there an easier way to tape both shows on one Replay?

·
Registered
448 Posts
The time is "correct". NBC has a habit of supersizing shows and starting them at odd times. Is it a plot? Yes. Is it a plot against DVR users? I don't know, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Your best bet is to probably just set up a manual record to get ER from 9:00 to 10:00 and miss the first minute. I'd always rather miss the beginning than the end.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I saw that time glitch, too, and realized that this might be an inducement from NBC to quit watching their network.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The show really starts at 58 after the hour if you care about stuff about the last show. When I start at 59 after I normally come in right about the start of the show. SOme people say that it is againt DVR's, maybe they are trying to get you to buy anther? I have 2 replay 4500's so I rarely have a conflict I cannot deal with.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I don't think it's against DVRs.

I think it's a general strategy to try to keep people locked into the network for the entire prime time. If their shows start/stop at inconvenient times, it makes changing to another network more annoying.

Of course, in my case, it makes me less likely to tune their network.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Years ago TBS (I think) used to start everything 5 minutes late--every show was scheduled 5 minutes late. I always thought it was brilliant. Guess it backfired, but I bet it works pretty well if you only do it every once in a while.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.