AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Channel Master 4228 that seems to be doing a decently good job right now. The antenna is at least 10 years old (it was there when I moved in). Do you think I could get a better picture if I bought a new one? Or better yet a better OTA signal? I figured 10 years could do something to an antenna, although it doesn't look that bad.

·
Registered
22,273 Posts
Unless it's VERY corroded or bent up... it's probably fine. Just may need a little 'tune up'.

(reaiming, replace connectors, balun, contacts, etc.)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
What do you mean by "decently good"? Are you not satisfied with the signal you are getting now? If not, maybe a different antenna would be in order.

·
Registered
22,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmansid
If not, maybe a different antenna would be in order.
Suggestions?

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I agree, that unless you have some contact corrosion, you wont notice any difference buying a new 4228. Then again, you haven’t put out any money, so if it gives you piece of mind, it will only cost you $50 or so to buy a new one.

I’ve used the 4228 and the 4248, and both are very good antennas, but I opted to spend the extra $s and got the AntennasDirect DB8. It is better built, but I honestly couldn’t tell you whether the 4228 would have worked just as good or not. My towers run between 60-70 miles from me, and I register 85-100 on the DVR-942 signal meter with all 4 major networks. Yes, I'm pleased. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By decently good i mean that I get a picture good enough to watch on analog and on digital I get the same stations but 2 of those. Also now that I look at the antenna (it is about 50 ft. up) the back of it looks kind of bent around and the bow ties are all turned and crooked. It also looks kind of rusted in areas. Most stations are 60-90 miles from where I live and i figured the 4228 was the best for that without a rotor. Any idea of what a new antenna would do better than the antenna being in the condition I described?

·
Registered
22,273 Posts
Bent, all rusted, turned and crooked?

Get a new 4228... approx.$50.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would any of you suggest that I stick with the 4228 or is there a better antenna that I should consider? keep in mind the broadcast towers are 60-90 miles away and I don't want to have to mess with a rotor, unless it comes to that.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The 4228 is an excellent antenna. You might do a fraction better with an AntennasDirect 91XG, but if you're getting close to satisfactory reception with a beat-up 4228, I'd stick with that model. Because OTA reception is something of a black art, you never know for sure if getting a "technically" better antenna will really help you. Switching designs (from bowtie stacks to yagis or vice versa) can improve or degrade performance, and there's no way to know for sure until you try.

Some have said that the bowties don't perform outdoors as well as the yagis, and the yagis perform worse in attics.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I live in a difficult OTA area. I had a 4248 with a 7775 preamp installed at the same time as a Winegard 8200 with a Winegard 8275 preamp. The 4248/7775 got only half ot the local stations. The 8200/8275 got all local stations. Sold the 4248/7775. The 8200 is big and not particularly cheap but good. (17' and $167)

Rick R

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
Just replaceing the coax and matching transformer could work wonders especially if the cable is RG-59 (which is probably is).

It's a good antenna. Same design for I believe 20+ years.

Something better, maybe. Something as good, probably.

It's still made in the US! ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.