~ BenQ W5000 DLP 1080p Projector

~ Sony Bravia SXRD KDS-60A3000

~ Sony STR DE845 - 5.1 AVR

~ Sony Ps3 (HDMI)

~ Xbox 360 (HDMI)

~ Polk Csi A6 -Center

~ Polk Rti6 -Rears

~ NatP's Main L/R

~ Dish Network HD Satellite service (Components)

~ Behringer ep2500 (for new sub set up)

~ 10" DIY Sub Ported, tuned to 29hz(soon to be upgraded)

I am not in a hurry, but my receiver is acting up(Clicking) and needs to be replace.
Budget: Under $600 (would be nice to stay in this area)

I need it to be able to do a 4ohm load.

I would Like to have room to grow.

Any Suggestions ?

I would like to here opinions as well as places to keep an eye out for good deals on your suggestions.
~ ~ E D I T ~ ~
I ORDERED The Onkyo 805s From eCost for $448 and it was 'Dead On Arrival' !!!

So, I am Still Looking for an AVR....

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think you will find that most avr's in your price range will handle 4 ohms just fine. They may not say it but they can certainly do it. My Harman Kardon 347 has handled my BAMTM speakers (4 ohm) like a champ. I also second the recommendation of an onkyo 805/806 but if that is too much you should check out the hk 347/354

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just check slickdeals.net and search for onkyo 806 or 805 and you should find something in your price range before too long. in less than 5 minutes i found 806 for $634 shipped. i've seen better deals than that, and deals are constantly posted for onkyo on slickdeals. its worth the price (even if you have to keep checking back for a better deal) to get the product that you really want.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Most of the AVR's mentioned thus far will do a very mediocre job, IMO, with 4 ohm loads. The Marantz may be an exception. There is no point in buying 4 ohm speakers if your receiver is only limiting itself to drive them so that it will not trigger the protection mode failsafe. If you need to modify the settings in any way, or flick a switch, for the AVR to accept a 4 ohm load, then it does not really have the balls to get the job done properly. You would be far better advised to buy 8 ohm speakers than use an AVR that limits its output to avoid damage from the demanding 4 ohm load and/or get all hot and sweaty around the edges in its attempt to do so. In a best case scenario, you will not be getting the full potential from the speakers and will have wasted your money buying them. To ignore this is to risk damaging your tweeters and/or AVR. This damage will not be covered under any warranty since you will not have used the product in an appropriate manner.

If you want something that will actually EXCEL with 4 ohm speakers, not just avoid damaging itself, one of the very few affordable, truly 4 ohm capable receivers today, and also highly recommended in my experience for 8 ohm loads, is NAD. They are even stable at 2 ohms, and can sometimes give separate amplifiers a run for their money also, in terms of real world listening power output and dynamics. One of the best online sources is Spearit Sound, currently shipping for free. When looking for a NAD receiver, you should watch for the T7xx model numbers, the T7x5 being the most recent models, with HDMI capability. They are pricey, but refurbished models start at $400 (T744 and T754 up, without HDMI) and $900 (T755 and T765 up, with HDMI). Availability varies. YMMV.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers
http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
The Onkyo 805 is really your only choice. It is the only sub $600 AVR that can actually handle 4 ohm speakers. Others may say they can, even the 806 but on the test bench the 805 is the only one that does it without any concern.

I did extensive research before I bought my 805 and I couldn't be happier. I ended up getting it as a refurb for under $500 (from shoponkyo.com)

My intentions are to go with separate amps later but I needed an AVR that could handle my Vienna Acoustic speakers without a problem.

Good luck. I hope you can find an 805 still. If an AVR isn't rated at 4 ohm do not buy it. The stresses a 4 ohm load put on an AVR will destroy it if you drive them hard for periods of time.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Kudos to both Kex and mbyrnes! Excellent information clearly presented. What more could one ask for? Nice job, guys.

williak

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah thanx for the advice...

as far as why my speakers are 4ohm...

I am a DIY'er and I chose a John Marsh Design.

the Natalie P's and I love them...

I will be building more in the future,

and don't want to limit what I can build to only 6/8ohms...

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
If you persist (and you should) in building 4 ohm speakers you may want to look into a separate amp to handle the load. There are few separate amps that won't handle a 4 ohm load with ease. It is what they are designed to do.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Do you use ThX loundspeakers?Most of them are 4 ohms.So you should pick a reciever/amp.that THX certfied,My choices;Denon AVC A1-HD,Pioneer SC-LX 09.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Great, and all this for 600 bucks (see 1st post) ? Wow !

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu /forum/post/15592264

Do you use ThX loundspeakers?Most of them are 4 ohms.So you should pick a reciever/amp.that THX certfied,My choices;Denon AVC A1-HD,Pioneer SC-LX 09.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Onkyo 805 has my attention

The thought of a 50lb AV receiver(ahr.ahr.ahr, in my best Tim Allen voice)

But it is a long shot finding one( I will continue to look)

the Nad/marants/denon also seem good...

Lots to ponder, Lot of searching...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I have been skimming around through some Official "-----" threads,

and It has brought up some more questions...

~ What Brands are the best/easiest to deal with, when/if it comes time send it back for replacement/warranty issues ?

~ what brand is going to pay/re embers to have it shipped back to them ?

Onkyo doesn't seem to be all that good, based on the 805 thread(no, I didn't read all 18k+ posts)...

~ what about Nad/Marants/Denon/etc... ?

~ are they all the same ?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
No.

They are not the same... but *very* similar in this respect.

Customer services are costing money (people to be trained and paid for) and everyone tries to cut down on "unnecessary" cost, which usually hits call- and support centers first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousuredo /forum/post/15610566

So I have been skimming around through some Official "-----" threads,

and It has brought up some more questions...

~ What Brands are the best/easiest to deal with, when/if it comes time send it back for replacement/warranty issues ?

~ what brand is going to pay/re embers to have it shipped back to them ?

Onkyo doesn't seem to be all that good, based on the 805 thread(no, I didn't read all 18k+ posts)...

~ what about Nad/Marants/Denon/etc... ?

~ are they all the same ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sony str dg1100 is another avr I saw today at a local HHgregg...

is it any good ? ...pros/cons ? are sony's worthy...?

Its label on the back had 4/6/8ohm, Front L/R...

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousuredo /forum/post/15614735

Sony str dg1100 is another avr I saw today at a local HHgregg...

is it any good ? ...pros/cons ? are sony's worthy...?

Its label on the back had 4/6/8ohm, Front L/R...

Sony's last receiver that test benched well at 4 ohm was an ES 777 that I am

aware of .

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kex, The Nad T7** are Very tempting, as are a few others...

Is there a price point where the Big Box Store brands are better left alone ?

What Can I expect from brands like Nad, Marantz, etc...

that are Not the Big Box Store Brands

Would Raising My Price Point a Little Yield A lot more...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am Starting to realize I may need to go PRE/PRO

What is a Good AVR With PreOut for my setup

and any recommendations on amps

I am Currently looking at emotiva UPA7

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousuredo /forum/post/15640400

I am Starting to realize I may need to go PRE/PRO

What is a Good AVR With PreOut for my setup

and any recommendations on amps

I am Currently looking at emotiva UPA7

Marantz for pre/pro

I've started looking at those amps too

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do some reading up on the Onkyo 805's amplifier, it's an animal. If you plan to power your 4 ohm speakers with just a receiver the 805 should be at or near the top of your list. Nad is great but you'll pay much more. If you are going to go with a dedicated amp than anything with pre-outs will work, probably the cheaper the better on your receiver since at the end of the day you'll come close to doubling your initial pricepoint.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts