AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 year old HK AVR 65 dropped the CC last night. I could have it repaired, but think it is time for a new AVR. I will move the 65 downstairs to but used for 2 ch sound.

I have narrowed it down to either the Denon 1910 or the HK 254. Any thoughts on how these receivers compare? Any preferences or items I should look for to help me decide?

I am a bit gun shy about all the issues the HK has had, but I really like the sound. It mates up with my B&W 602s well.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I owned an HK receiver years ago and it was an excellent sounding and very reliable piece. It was subsequently replaced by an Onkyo 705 and I couldn't be more pleased. Their whole product line offers a lot of bank for the buck and with the new models just released, you can find a lot of bargains in the ##6 and, in some cases the ##5 series.

Cheers,

Jack

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Any brand of receiver may have "issues" at one time or another, in which the big question is how does their customer service handle it? From my experience with them, H/K CS is by far the best of all the mass market manufacturers. Consider a refurbished H/K with full warranty and you will likely get a unit with all the "issues" already addressed, and save a bundle - enough to move up in the model line to the 354 and still save over the 254 at retail. Buy direct from H/K at harmanaudio.com or the H/K eBay store.

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/16999396

Any brand of receiver may have "issues" at one time or another, in which the big question is how does their customer service handle it? From my experience with them, H/K CS is by far the best of all the mass market manufacturers. Consider a refurbished H/K with full warranty and you will likely get a unit with all the "issues" already addressed, and save a bundle - enough to move up in the model line to the 354 and still save over the 254 at retail. Buy direct from H/K at harmanaudio.com or the H/K eBay store.

+1

If there is a better deal available than the HK 254/354 will someone please tell me? Prices range from $240/254 to $375/354.

Oh yeah, then there is the HK 247/347 if video processing isn't so important. The 247 can be had under $200 and the 347 for just over $200. The 247 has the same amp as the 254 - the 347 has only 5wpc more than the 247.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright then. Just bought a 254 on the 'bay.

·
The Village Idiot
9,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowe /forum/post/17002820

Alright then. Just bought a 254 on the 'bay.

Nice.

The 254 will be a big change from the old AVR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.