AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my current build uses the Asus P5N7A-VM for video and audio, and it's all running through my Sony STR-DG510 and a bookshelf set-up. I'm pretty pleased with the sound (I know, it's not an audiophile's receiver, but it's nice for a beginner), what's bugging me is some sound compatibility issues I'd like to iron out, by moving from SPDIF to HDMI for my audio. So, my question is, will I really have a decent increase in compatibility? Further, will I get a decent increase in quality without having to upgrade my speakers?

We can discuss the fact that for some reason I can't get my computer and my receiver to communicate nicely with anything DTS, later. For now, what do you all think? New receiver? If so, which in the less than $500 range? What about less than $300?

Jason

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
+1 Servicetech.

Speakers - speakers - speakers.

I would also invest in a subwoofer if u don't already have one. Lots of people think SW are there to go boom-boom, not so. Sure u can use it for that purpose, but for Sound Quality, it really rounds out the low end by which it's its real purpose. And I don't mean those portable, dingy SW, an honest-to-God SW should be no less than 8" in diameter, and a little awkward for u to lift it up. A good receiver will have the option to let u route the low frequency info to the SW even with 2-channels signals.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tno /forum/post/17007073

So, my current build uses the Asus P5N7A-VM for video and audio, and it's all running through my Sony STR-DG510 and a bookshelf set-up. I'm pretty pleased with the sound (I know, it's not an audiophile's receiver, but it's nice for a beginner), what's bugging me is some sound compatibility issues I'd like to iron out, by moving from SPDIF to HDMI for my audio.

We can discuss the fact that for some reason I can't get my computer and my receiver to communicate nicely with anything DTS, later. For now, what do you all think? New receiver? If so, which in the less than $500 range? What about less than $300?

Jason

There is no compatibility issue because STR-DG510 does not support HDMI audio at all.

Quote:
Powerful HDMI connectivity allows for uncompressed 1080i video to pass through directly to your HDMI capable television. [A separate cable would be needed for audio.]

Just connect the optical S/PDIF connector of your mb to the receiver and you will be fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/17008663

+1 Servicetech.

Speakers - speakers - speakers.

I would also invest in a subwoofer if u don't already have one. Lots of people think SW are there to go boom-boom, not so. Sure u can use it for that purpose, but for Sound Quality, it really rounds out the low end by which it's its real purpose. And I don't mean those portable, dingy SW, an honest-to-God SW should be no less than 8" in diameter, and a little awkward for u to lift it up. A good receiver will have the option to let u route the low frequency info to the SW even with 2-channels signals.

The only reason I haven't picked up a nice sub is because I'm in a small apartment and wanted to be nice to my downstairs neighbors. They, however, have no problem blasting their crappy Russian techno as loud as possible (I'm not picking on Russian techno, I am picking on crappy Russian techno), so I've decided to go ahead and find a decent sub to fill out my sound. The DG510 does have a number of crossover points available and I will definitely play with that, most likely putting it around 120Hz since my speakers aren't the best. As to the speakers, the reason I haven't filled those out is the SOF (significant other factor). My wife sees the tangible benefit of having an HDTV (better picture), a receiver (ease of use), and surround sound (better sound). She, however, would not see the tangible benefit of replacing our crappy speakers with nicer speakers, she wouldn't be able to tell the difference. So, I'll deal with these speakers till we're both out of school and I have a big boy sized toys budget.

As far as HDMI audio through the dg510, Ren. Yeah, I'm using SPDIF, mentioned it in my post. Indeed, the question was, would I see an appreciable bump in sound quality by switching to a receiver that does use HDMI audio to pump out TrueHD/DTS-MA? Thanks for the help though.

I guess I'll keep my eye out for some decent speaker deals. It also doesn't help that the room this is in is L-shaped with the TV at the outside corner. Cheers!

Jason

·
Registered
336 Posts
I doubt you would see a difference in SQ. After all the sound would still be coming out of cheap speakers. When the wife and I got our Yamaha RX-V463 we had Philips speakers from a HTiB set we had. We then got a set 6 1/2" Pioneer bookshelfs for the front and 5 1/4" ones for the rear. She was able to hear a difference, she heard a real big difference when we changed the Pioneers to Klipsch.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Sorry to tell ya. Switching the receiver alone probly not gonna give u a noticeable bump on SQ. But ppl change receiver for reasons other than SQ. In your case is not providing u the switching capability that u seem to be lacking, and that maybe good enuff reason.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
You'll hear absolutely no difference in sound quality going from SPDIF to HDMI - they're the exact same audio technology. TrueHD and DTS-HD are a mute point unless you buy an Asus Xonar HDAV. Without this hardware, TrueHD and DTS-HD will be downsampled to the same audio quality you can get now with your SPDIF.

In addition, as others have said, without decent speakers, even if you met the above requirements and got TrueHD and DTS-HD working, you'd still not hear much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/17013673

You'll hear absolutely no difference in sound quality going from SPDIF to HDMI - they're the exact same audio technology. TrueHD and DTS-HD are a mute point unless you buy an Asus Xonar HDAV. Without this hardware, TrueHD and DTS-HD will be downsampled to the same audio quality you can get now with your SPDIF.

In addition, as others have said, without decent speakers, even if you met the above requirements and got TrueHD and DTS-HD working, you'd still not hear much of a difference.

Better buy an amp with 5.1 analog input and hook your soundcard to those input. This way you can listen to some great BR rip with 5.1 lossless flac audio

Work great for AC3 and DTS with the right codec too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you have your heart set on a new receiver, just get a new receiver. Moving up from most Sony equipment doesn't take much money. Nonetheless, it'd be wise to spend some money if you're going to upgrade. Do it once, do it right. I do recommend buying new speakers though. What type of speakers do you have now?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:

So much misinformation its not even funny....

1) Dolby TrueHD/DTS-MA are only downsampled to 16-bits. They are not COMPRESSED and are still LOSSLESS, unlike regular DD and DTS.

2) Getting full-bit, lossless audio from Blu-ray and HD DVD does NOT require you to have the Asus Xonar. There are ways around it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You dont know what your talking about dont give bad advice...

There is a significant difference between SPDIF and HDMI technically, which is why TrueHD and DTS-MA require HDMI. TrueHD and DTS-MA are significantly better in audio fidelity. Even though the bit depth and sampling rate are the same there is far more data being sent to the receiver - thus the result of much higher quality sound. If you dont care about audio and can live with DD or DTS then that is fine... If your into unmatched audio quality then think twice - until you hear the difference talking about it is a mute point.

Quote:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/17016366

So much misinformation its not even funny....

1) Dolby TrueHD/DTS-MA are only downsampled to 16-bits. They are not COMPRESSED and are still LOSSLESS, unlike regular DD and DTS.

2) Getting full-bit, lossless audio from Blu-ray and HD DVD does NOT require you to have the Asus Xonar. There are ways around it.

I do understand that, and that's why I'm struggling with my current set-up. To simplify implementation for my SO I rip my HD DVDs to the computer with FLAC and DD+ intact. The DD+ tracks play through perfectly but the FLAC refuse to be played back as LPCM, I suspect the limitation is the spdif, if I could output by HDMI the bandwidth might help. Would it be best then for me to have the TrueHD track ripped to DD+ or to have the DTS-MA track ripped to DTS 96/24?

And as to all of the speaker reccs, I hear you guys, and will keep my eyes peeled for great deals. My current set is from a RCA HTIB that I picked up for $20. Indeed, I put my whole set-up together for $250 (Sony Wega 34HS510, Sony STR-DG510, Speakers). Thanks for all the help guys.

jason

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/17013795

Until you can sell the SO on better speakers just keep your cash. Speakers don't have to cost a lot of money if you can buy them used or build them yourself.

Yeah, this is probably what's going to happen. Will try and borrow some really wicked speakers from a friend and preview them for the wife. Thanks.

Jason

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track on the ripping side...

FLAC will not play through SPDIF because there is not enough bandwidth. FLAC renders the audio as a high bit rate LPCM stream and will only play through HDMI.

My recommendation is to keep with your strategy (I assume your using the MKV container) - keep FLAC and DD in the same container. When you upgrade your receiver to one that has HDMI, FLAC will play - and you will hear a SIGNIFICANT difference AND one thing you will like is that the bit depth and sampling rate will be the same as the original - and I do hear a difference as I have tested this. Why I dont recommend keeping the original DTS-MA/TrueHD track is yes the bit depth and/or sampling rate will be decreased AND you will need to purchase a 3rd party player - which will introduce other headaces.. FLAC is the best alternative to having the HDAV sound card (no reduction in sampling/bit depth), it is light weight and ensures a bit exact copy of the original HD sound track (of course there could be factors but conceptually the same)

The net net is either upgrade your receiver or wait... keep to your strategy as it is sound if your going to stay with a HTPC.

If you want good deal on speakers see here:
http://www.thespeakercompany.com

They get very good reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tno /forum/post/17018546

I do understand that, and that's why I'm struggling with my current set-up. To simplify implementation for my SO I rip my HD DVDs to the computer with FLAC and DD+ intact. The DD+ tracks play through perfectly but the FLAC refuse to be played back as LPCM, I suspect the limitation is the spdif, if I could output by HDMI the bandwidth might help. Would it be best then for me to have the TrueHD track ripped to DD+ or to have the DTS-MA track ripped to DTS 96/24?

And as to all of the speaker reccs, I hear you guys, and will keep my eyes peeled for great deals. My current set is from a RCA HTIB that I picked up for $20. Indeed, I put my whole set-up together for $250 (Sony Wega 34HS510, Sony STR-DG510, Speakers). Thanks for all the help guys.

jason

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tno /forum/post/17018546

jason

You cannot send multi-channel FLAC over SPDIF. If you are not going to upgarde to HDMI, or you don't have access to analog, then you're only option is AC3 (DD) for TrueHD and DTS for DTS-MA.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx /forum/post/17018717

Sounds like your on the right track on the ripping side...

FLAC will not play through SPDIF because there is not enough bandwidth. FLAC renders the audio as a high bit rate LPCM stream and will only play through HDMI.

My recommendation is to keep with your strategy (I assume your using the MKV container) - keep FLAC and DD in the same container. When you upgrade your receiver to one that has HDMI, FLAC will play - and you will hear a SIGNIFICANT difference AND one thing you will like is that the bit depth and sampling rate will be the same as the original - and I do hear a difference as I have tested this. Why I dont recommend keeping the original DTS-MA/TrueHD track is yes the bit depth and/or sampling rate will be decreased AND you will need to purchase a 3rd party player - which will introduce other headaces.. FLAC is the best alternative to having the HDAV sound card (no reduction in sampling/bit depth), it is light weight and ensures a bit exact copy of the original HD sound track (of course there could be factors but conceptually the same)

The net net is either upgrade your receiver or wait... keep to your strategy as it is sound if your going to stay with a HTPC.

If you want good deal on speakers see here:
http://www.thespeakercompany.com

They get very good reviews.

This +1.

Perfect advice. Rip all your stuff now with FLAC AND DD or DTS. Enjoy the DD and DTS now and when it comes time to get an HDMI receiver, you are all set with content, ready to rip!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.