AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't change gear often, but I've blown my very old and very crappy subwoofer, so it's time to go down the rabbit hole. This is for a dedicated HT space, usage being 50/50 movies and games.

Room plan view is attached (or can be seen here), but the basics are: 12x22x8. It's a bonus room, so completely closed off, but has stairs heading down in the rear of the room - the door at the bottom of the stairs stays can be assumed to be closed.

Sub is located in the back corner, and it pretty much needs to stay along the back wall. However, and this is my issue, I don't have a lot of space in the "depth" dimension. Accounting for a bit of space behind the sub, 20" is pretty much my max depth in its current location.

This being a HT, I'm thinking ported; however, it's difficult to find a ported sub that's a decent size, but around 20" deep.

As I see it, I've got several options; which I placed in green on my plan:

1) "small" (like a PB1000 Pro) sub in the same spot and orientation as I have currently.
2) bigger sub (PB2000 Pro, FVX12, VTF-3, or something similar) in the same position, but oriented sideways.
3) bigger sub (as above) moved closer to middle of the back wall and facing forward.

Whatever I buy, it'll be an upgrade from what I have. I do like, however, to buy and not regret for at least a few years. Would love to hear some opinions on whether there'd be any downside to keeping my same sub position, but rotating it 90 degrees to better fit the room. Similarly about repositioning the sub along the back wall.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I don't change gear often, but I've blown my very old and very crappy subwoofer, so it's time to go down the rabbit hole. This is for a dedicated HT space, usage being 50/50 movies and games.

Room plan view is attached (or can be seen here), but the basics are: 12x22x8. It's a bonus room, so completely closed off, but has stairs heading down in the rear of the room - the door at the bottom of the stairs stays can be assumed to be closed.

Sub is located in the back corner, and it pretty much needs to stay along the back wall. However, and this is my issue, I don't have a lot of space in the "depth" dimension. Accounting for a bit of space behind the sub, 20" is pretty much my max depth in its current location.

This being a HT, I'm thinking ported; however, it's difficult to find a ported sub that's a decent size, but around 20" deep.

1) "small" (like a PB1000 Pro) sub in the same spot and orientation as I have currently.
2) bigger sub (PB2000 Pro, FVX12, VTF-3, or something similar) in the same position, but oriented sideways.
3) bigger sub (as above) moved closer to middle of the back wall and facing forward.

Whatever I buy, it'll be an upgrade from what I have. I do like, however, to buy and not regret for at least a few years. Would love to hear some opinions on whether there'd be any downside to keeping my same sub position, but rotating it 90 degrees to better fit the room. Similarly about repositioning the sub along the back wall.

Thanks.
Not sure budget but I would buy 2 of whatever you decide. If budget constraints then 2 pb1000 pros or lv12f's over one of the others larger subs. You will be amazed at the difference with 2.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
3,553 Posts
Get your UMIK out and see what changes when you rotate the current sub. Things will change. What you want to know is, is it a lot or a little, and gooder or badder?

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
3,553 Posts
Bruh! He said he blew his sub. Gosh… :devilish:
DOH!!

Well then, the only answer is, "only the shadow knows".... :p

Order and find out is the only way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure budget but I would buy 2 of whatever you decide. If budget constraints then 2 pb1000 pros or lv12f's over one of the others larger subs. You will be amazed at the difference with 2.
Budget isn't a major consideration, other than being reasonable. Placement is, though. With 2 subs, they'd both end up on the back wall... So it'd be 2 subs on a 9' wall... not sure I'm that into bass.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Your on track with option B configuration. You can open up a "LOT" more options by just turning whatever sub you choose sideways. You dont need to limit sub depth to 20",,,,,, going sub width of 20", then turn sideways will give you Way more options and performance in that configuration.

Reactions: derekmoore

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Your on track with option B configuration. You can open up a "LOT" more options by just turning whatever sub you choose sideways. You dont need to limit sub depth to 20",,,,,, going sub width of 20", then turn sideways will give you Way more options and performance in that configuration.
Yep. And as @Soulburner has often suggested, orienting the driver so it fires parallel to a wall often produces a better response than the same sub firing forward.

OP: feel free to open up your options to include these possibilities.

Reactions: Soulburner

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Budget isn't a major consideration, other than being reasonable. Placement is, though. With 2 subs, they'd both end up on the back wall... So it'd be 2 subs on a 9' wall... not sure I'm that into bass.
Common misconception. Its about more headroom, more even distribution of bass. Its not louder at any given volume then a single subis there no room on either end of screen or behind screen?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Budget isn't a major consideration, other than being reasonable. Placement is, though.
A statement like this makes me inclined to have you call Nathan Funk. He can make a cabinet to suit your needs.

That said, I'd want to know how things perform (read measure) in room, before I'd go this route if you are limiting yourself locations for the sub.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep. And as @Soulburner has often suggested, orienting the driver so it fires parallel to a wall often produces a better response than the same sub firing forward.

OP: feel free to open up your options to include these possibilities.
In my case (option 2), I'd be switching from a corner position which fires along my long wall (22'), to the same position, but firing along a short wall (9’) into the half wall the prevents people falling down the stairs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Common misconception. Its about more headroom, more even distribution of bass. Its not louder at any given volume then a single subis there no room on either end of screen or behind screen?
Good to know; I guess my remaining concern with multiples would be setup complexity, although not sure if that significantly increases when going from 1 to 2.

That said, the front wall is almost entirely screen... can't measure at this very moment, but the screen lower edge is only about 18-20 inches off the floor. Basically, moving off the back wall gets me into reconfiguring the entire room, which is not in the cards at the moment.

·
Registered
10,034 Posts

Thanks.
Pair of PC2000Pros.

·
Registered
607 Posts
"Reasonable" gives us nothing to go on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Reasonable" gives us nothing to go on.
Fair point. As is usual with these things, the more reading I do, the higher "reasonable" extends. I started looking at <$1k, then $1k, now I'm thinking "maybe the internet is right, I might need 2x $1k subs". We'll see, based on the rest of the components, I think reasonable is in the $.5k -$2k range; but I'm not big on spending 2x to get 1.1x performance - excessive research tends to suck me into chasing the dragon.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Based on your room size, I suggest you start with 1 15" sub from any of the mostly mentioned companies that get the most mentions. Funk makes a beautiful sub that looks like all of the others in the dark while watching a movie...no really, they have a great reputation on this forum. HSU, SVS, PSA all have very good 15" subs at about your price range; these subs are known to get the job done but have some small differences that make them unique.
Ported subs are usually advised in your price range for movies/tv with some music listening.
Sealed subs are usually advised in your price range for music with some movies/tv watching.
If you find you want more even bass across the entire room, you can buy a second sub later to match.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Based on your room size, I suggest you start with 1 15" sub from any of the mostly mentioned companies that get the most mentions. Funk makes a beautiful sub that looks like all of the others in the dark while watching a movie...no really, they have a great reputation on this forum. HSU, SVS, PSA all have very good 15" subs at about your price range; these subs are known to get the job done but have some small differences that make them unique.
Ported subs are usually advised in your price range for movies/tv with some music listening.
Sealed subs are usually advised in your price range for music with some movies/tv watching.
If you find you want more even bass across the entire room, you can buy a second sub later to match.
Really? 2000 cu ft + the stairwell, so somewhere around a 2.5k cubic feet sealed room and you're thinking 15" to start? 15" (at least the ported versions) haven't been in too serious consideration; because a) I'm coming from a craptastic 10" and b) one of my primary limiting factors is size (hence the orientation question).

But yeah, this is primarily movies/tv/games; music use is incidental.

·
Registered
172 Posts
In my case (option 2), I'd be switching from a corner position which fires along my long wall (22'), to the same position, but firing along a short wall (9’) into the half wall the prevents people falling down the stairs.
IF you decide on option 2 there is nothing on there that will compete with the VTF3...But...if budget isn't an option, I would most definitely suggest going with @derekmoore and contacting Nathan to build you a sub, because ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on this list will compete with what Funk has to offer. They are in the top 1% of sub makers, and offer probably the best craftsmanship out of anything available next to Salk Sounds. Definitely a wife pleaser if that is a concern. Hell...it's just a pleaser all the way around. Lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts