AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've had my Pio 433cmx for over 4 years now and it has served me well. I have narrowed my choices down to these 2 plasmas and cannot decide. The Pio 6070 is 60" and is around $1k less than the Panny (Forum vendor prices). While the new Panny is 1080p, I feel like I won't miss the extra resolution if I went with the Pioneer. The 60" size is extremely tempting btw. If and only if these were the two sets to choose from, which one would you go with and why? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus330I /forum/post/0

Well, I've had my Pio 433cmx for over 4 years now and it has served me well. I have narrowed my choices down to these 2 plasmas and cannot decide. The Pio 6070 is 60" and is around $1k less than the Panny (Forum vendor prices). While the new Panny is 1080p, I feel like I won't miss the extra resolution if I went with the Pioneer. The 60" size is extremely tempting btw. If and only if these were the two sets to choose from, which one would you go with and why? Thanks guys!

I went through the same thought process and as a Panny owner, I kept wanting to like the Panny as much as the Pio but it really wasn't close. The Pio is just a cut above. I installed in Saturday and it is just simply AMAZING. I sit 12' from the screen.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBP /forum/post/0

I went through the same thought process and as a Panny owner, I kept wanting to like the Panny as much as the Pio but it really wasn't close. The Pio is just a cut above. I installed in Saturday and it is just simply AMAZING. I sit 12' from the screen.

Congrats! Did you buy it from a forum sponser? If so, please let me know who it was. Thanks so much.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Unfortunately there hasn't been much feedback yet on the th-58pz700u yet, and I think it's now just selling on Panasonics solid reputation. The Pioneer pdp-6070hd you know exactly what you are getting, and that is one of the best 60" displays in the market at a recently reduced price.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm in the same boat but comparing the 58px600u and the 6070hd. I know the PIO is better but how much better for the extra $700 or so? If anyone can PM me the vendor price on the 6070 and 58px600 I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been evaluating both of these myself and while I have not finalized my decision yet, I am leaning heavily toward the Pioneer 6070HD. Originally my intent was to get the Elite PRO-1540HD but I just couldn't justify the extra $$ considering the 6070 can be had for almost half of what the 1540 is selling for. I've looked at both the Panny and the 6070 in a showroom setting on a few occasions and the Pioneer wins in pretty much every area. Granted, both sets were being fed an HD signal through a Coax line that had probably been split 40 times which certainly indicates that both sets are capable of far more than what they suggest in-store. You (and myself) will more than likely be happy with either one.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm currently making the same decision.

I haven't been able to find a dedicated review of the 6070. I recall reading somewhere that the 6070 and 5070 are NOT the same technology, panel generation, etc...

I believe that I had read that the 6070 was a rebadged name placed on the prior panel generation to make it SEEM comparable to the 5070 (which people seem to love)

Please tell me that this is NOT true so that I can just get on with it and buy the panel for substantially less than the new Panny 58. I know that it's not 1080... I'm just not sure that that makes that much difference for me at this time.... would rather pay a LOT less and then in a few years get the latest and greatest

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was in the same situation about a month ago. At the time the 58pz700u was still only preorder, and about $300 more than the 6070. I ordered the 6070 from Cleveland Plasma and experienced immediate buyer's remorse, which vanished as soon as I turned on the set. It's a terrific screen.

FYI, we sit about 10' from the set and it is definitely not too big - after owning it for a couple of weeks my wife and I strolled through the local Best Buy and scoffed at the idea that a 50" set (which we had been considering) could possibly be adequate. How quickly we get spoiled!

·
Vendor
34,047 Posts
Tough market out there. So many great panels to be limited by one choice.

Maybe someone should invent a wall unit that rotates panels. (Like on a Lazy-Plasma-Susan)

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
...I like. A tapas tv assortment to feast ones eyes upon. Now to plan that next bank heist to pay for them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmr15 /forum/post/0

I recall reading somewhere that the 6070 and 5070 are NOT the same technology, panel generation, etc...

I believe that I had read that the 6070 was a rebadged name placed on the prior panel generation to make it SEEM comparable to the 5070 (which people seem to love)

Please tell me that this is NOT true so that I can just get on with it and buy the panel for substantially less than the new Panny 58.

never heard that one before. I wouldn't sweat it. Not many (even one?) 60" plasmas floating around out there from which the 6070 could have been rebadged. Find something new to worry about, my friend. Better yet, please recall your source.. could use a little entertainment right about now. Bygone tales of "plasmas leaking and must be refilled" just don't do it for me anymore.

·
Registered
19,964 Posts

Quote:

I haven't been able to find a dedicated review of the 6070. I recall reading somewhere that the 6070 and 5070 are NOT the same technology, panel generation, etc...

Please tell me that this is NOT true so that I can just get on with it and buy the panel for substantially less than the new Panny 58. I know that it's not 1080... I'm just not sure that that makes that much difference for me at this time.... would rather pay a LOT less and then in a few years get the latest and greatest

You are confusing the Pioneer 6100 with the 6070. The 6100 was a rebadged NEC plasma. The 6070 is based off the same tech and glass as the 6070.

·
Registered
128 Posts
d-nice...

you are absolutely correct.

problem solved.....BUT

i measured the opening in our built in wall unit and the 6070 is one half inch too tall!

looks like i'll wait for the 58 panny prices to take a bit of a plunge and then go for it.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Quote:

d-nice...

you are absolutely correct.

problem solved.....BUT

i measured the opening in our built in wall unit and the 6070 is one half inch too tall!

looks like i'll wait for the 58 panny prices to take a bit of a plunge and then go for it.

Are you measuring with or without speaker?

6070HD without speaker will be really close to 58" panny.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.