AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old home theater system is getting to the point where I'm ready to upgrade...I've extended it quite a bit with different hdmi and optical audio switches but I think I'm ready to just replace it.

I'm wondering what to upgrade to without spending a ton of money and without it being a downgrade in sound.

The current system I have isn't real high end though, Kenwood HTB-503 which is about 15 years old or so...I forget exactly...was around $500-600 I think.

I'm looking for something that is going to support all the new dolby and hdmi stuff I have now. As stated above, I don't really want to downgrade sound quality...so the question becomes which system should I look at?

I was looking at the Denon DHT-391XP and the DHT-591BA as possibly replacements...however, I also wonder if the current speakers are better than what I would be getting, in which case maybe I just need to replace the receiver.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Don't get the Denon 391xp it was built for idiots and not worth it

Spend the extra money for the DENON DHT-591ba its a great entry to the home theater wor;d with more features than you get with the Onkyo or Yamaha's

Though if the speakers you have are good enough for you right now you could always buy just a new receiver, Denon AVR-591 with those features.

My 2.0 speakers are from 1991 and they are still going strong

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check all the specs on my speakers tomorrow to see how they compare.

I have a few friends that said I really need to take a look at onkyo, but I'm sure they were impressed with the higher end receivers and I'm not looking to spend $1000

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
after reading a bunch of threads on the forum, I think I may buy just the receiver now and upgrade the speakers later

so have to shift gears and look for a decent receiver in the $300-400 range

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.