AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be getting cranky in my old age, but, wading through 3 pages of posts each day, looking for clues on building the ultimate HTPC, does anyone else think this forum could also be split into "Nothing much to do with HTPC", and "Too busy to use the search function", forums.

I feel better already.

Miso

·
Registered
112 Posts
How about splitting it into to HTPC software and HTPC Hardware forum.

That would be great

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
This has been discussed to death repeatedly...

OK so what about drivers ??? HW / SW / Both ??

Video stutters... My CPU or my SW ??

Apps tied to hardware ??

Some things just fail to break cleanly...

I for one was against breaking the forums before... Now I recognise something needs to happen, but its finding the right way forward (this is an important forum here.. .messing it up would really be a pain)...

Perhaps...

HTPC Software

HTPC Hardware

HTPC Troubleshooting & Setup

·
Administrator
21,728 Posts
In my experience, the more you split up a forum, more people will post in the wrong area. Then you get more people complaining that the forum should be better organized...full circle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe the search box could be more prominent on the page, contrasting colors, and very close to the reading area to encourage people to search first and read a bit before posting.

Also, I think you cannot search 2 letter terms on this board like the words PC or TV which screws people like me who want to find topics concerning "PC to TV", "HD", and such. I spens alot of time trying to figure out what to search for. Probably miss alot of good info due to this limitation.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Since there are other ways to limit the number of hits the 3 char limitation of search terms is probably not a good idea, especially if the short terms are combined with logical operators.

- Tom

·
Registered
474 Posts
I agree with (edit - removing) the 3-letter restriction. I don't think too many people use "at", "to" etc. ,which would generate too many hits. I have been looking for info on the Sanyo PLV-Z1, but most refer to it simply as "Z1"

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I agree the forum finally needs to splinter....

HTPC Audio....all things audio, HW, SW, drivers, etc

HTPC Video...all things video, HW, SW, drivers, displays, etc

HTPC General...OS, front ends, automation, cases, tech talk, etc

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phat Phreddy,

I have the utmost respect for the job you and other moderators do here.

I agree this is one of the most important forums on the internet (I may be biased).

Building a HTPC is like solving a Rubik's Cube with some of the colour stickers missing. Personally I'm searching for the ideal combination of PC hardware and software that will feed my setup with a "perfect" DVD picture and sound.

Perhaps another way is to split the forum into: HTPC DVD, HTPC Audio , HTPC Satellite, HTPC HDTV, HTPC Network, etc. Maybe if the word "computer" or "HTPC" was incorporated into the titles of some of the forums that already exist on this site posts would be redirected.

Miso

P.S. Karnis you posted while I was ruminating http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/smilies/smile.gif .

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I don't know of a perfect way to split this excellent forum, but here are some ideas, which make sense to me:

1. Cases, cooling, silencing (and LCDs/VFDs)

2. Video adapters, drivers and displays

3. Front ends, automation and remote controls

4. HDTV (hard and soft)

5. DVD

6. Audio

7. General

It should theoretically be possible to reduce the mumber of threads (for instance we now have 3-4 on the Fusion HDTV... and quite a few on interlaced resolutions with ATI cards), but I don't know how this can be done without manual intervention. Maybe beefing up the FAQ could help...

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
OK. my 2 cents:

Leave this forum alone! :eek:

Part of what makes is forum great is not just that you get answers to your questions, but that you get answers to questions you did not even know to ask! By having 'All HTPC" in one place, I find myself running across ideas that caused me to do some upgrade or get into some new area of the hobby that I never considered before. And that is what this is: A Hobby. It is meant to soak up all available time and then more. :D Having all this richness in one area nurtures this concept.

I do agree that, in general, people are VERY LAZY about using the search function. That causes a lot of useless posts. But if that is the price I must pay to have such a great all-in-one-place forum, I accept it.

Please, leave it alone!

Bob

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I do agree though that it gets kinda crazy and prohibitive almost to have pages of new posts in one forum on one single day. Is it that the forum covers too many topics and needs to be split, or is it simply the fact that this is a very very very popular forum?? (Like most things, it's probably a nice blend of the two...)

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Quote:
Part of what makes is forum great is not just that you get answers to your questions, but that you get answers to questions you did not even know to ask! By having 'All HTPC" in one place, I find myself running across ideas that caused me to do some upgrade or get into some new area of the hobby that I never considered before.
That's pretty much the way I feel also. If I didn't happen to stumble onto "NetRemote", I may have never known of its existence, and splitting the HTPC forum makes the possibility of missing new ideas and equipment much more likely. I used to be a regular in the "audio" forum, but now that it has been split into 3 different forums, I find that I visit it (oops, I mean them) much less frequently. I know that this forum probably generates more posts than any other forum, but I still like the fact that so many topics relating to HTPC are all being discussed.

What I would like to see (maybe) is a section dedicated to non - HTPC topics, as I feel that there are far too many of these kinds of threads being started these days.

So what's new in the Linux section these days? :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kriilin
I agree with the 3-letter restriction. I don't think too many people use "at", "to" etc. ,which would generate too many hits.
What about XP, 5.1, DTS, DD, etc.? I've been stymied a few times by the three character limit.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see we basically have two schools of though. Those that read reference books from cover to cover and those that use chapter headings and the index to research subjects. However, all reference books have chapters and index(s), which you can choose to ignore if you want to.

What if AVSForum was just one posting board?

"Home Theater Computer" forum is growing because computers are more and more integral to audio/video systems - so that in the near future, it will be justifiable, to post almost entirely to this one forum. I suggest we find a way to maintain the "chapters" of AVS Forum. Anyone who wants to, can read it from cover to cover,by reading all the forums.

(Warning this post contains at least one exaggeration).

Miso

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
It is definitely going too fast. I posted something late last night (like midnight'ish) and it was 4 pages back by this morning. I'm not sure what would be the best split. There do seem to be major themes, but the split needs to be such that it won't be impossible to have a discussion that won't straddle them. Hard/soft is the obvious major split, but I'm not sure if it passes the test of being things that can be discussed meaningfully in isolation.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My attempt at splitting up the discussions into several main themes:

1. "The Basics"

Anything related to setting up and configuring a HTPC, from hardware to OS and drivers. This includes discussions about what types of hardware are preferred, which piece of hardware is better etc. This would also cover some preferred types of software to install and how to set 'm up initially, such as PowerStrip. So this section would cover pretty much anything you need to know to set up a basic PC for use in a home theater environment. When you use the info in this forum, you can set up a "baseline" HTPC.

2. "Every day use"

Things dealing with the actual use of the HTPC in a "normal" HT environment. This talks about how to configure the different software DVD players or other pieces of software that are "common" (tricky: what is "common"?). What are the best tweaks, what are alternatives, how can you integrate some of this software and functionality. Same about dScaler, or PVR functionality. I'm thinking this deals with anything that a HTPC can "normally" do, how it replaces the everyday objects such as VCRs, CD player, DVD players and TV tuners.

3. "Advanced"

Anything beyond the stuff mentioned above. Anything that deals with home automation, or with how to pipe video and audio from your HTPC throughout your entire house for example. This should cover anything beyond the "basic" use of a HTPC as a TV tuner / VCR / DVD player / CD&MP3 player.

You could also (in addition to all that, or instead of it) subdivide the forum into functional areas as they relate to HTPC. One for movie playback, one for TV tuner related stuff (meaning HDTV as well), one for VCR-like capabilities, one dealing with audio ...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I think one forum is better, because if you split it up into multiple forums then some forums won't get as much exposure and it limits discussion, With multiple forums, you either end up just keeping up with a subset of them which means you might miss interesting topics. Altnerately, you have to keep up with several separate forums, which is just as big of a pain as keeping up with a single high-traffic forum.

I especially think the idea of "Basics" and "Advanced" forums is a bad idea, because the more experienced members won't visit the "Basics" forum as often, and newbie questions won't get answered as quickly.

Frankly, I don't see what the problem is, if you check the board several times a day like I do, the scroll rate isn't really a problem. :D

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.