AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been slowly putting together a media room and I'm ready to pick a screen. I had originally set my mind on going with Wilson Art - but the issues about mounting it are worrisome for me. I'm not very good with right angles and my attempts at frame mock-ups have been ugly.


After reading about Sintra, that seems to be a solid choice. However, I'm not clear on where you can get it.


I'm also undecided on painting.


I own a chicago electric hvlp electric that i've use to spray water based stains with some success, so I see no reason why I couldn't use it for painting a screen.


I'll post some pics of the room later (can't find my camera at the moment), but it is approx. 10 1/4 ft wide x 21 1/2 ft long x 8ft high.


I'm debating between the Epson 8350, Mitsubishi HC4000. I'm targeting about 100 in. for the screen size.


The room is fairly well light controlled, but certainly not a black or very dark room.


I'm leaning toward the Sintra because of the "ready" state the product is in. Painting seems to just be something to make it better (it's already ready to use as is as I understand it).


Any thoughts on a solution for the screen?


Thanks,

~Whip


BTW - thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. I've learned so much already that I would never have known without all the good information here.
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
25,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipdancer /forum/post/20766426


I've been slowly putting together a media room and I'm ready to pick a screen. I had originally set my mind on going with Wilson Art - but the issues about mounting it are worrisome for me. I'm not very good with right angles and my attempts at frame mock-ups have been ugly.


After reading about Sintra, that seems to be a solid choice. However, I'm not clear on where you can get it.

Where do you live?

Quote:
I'm also undecided on painting.


I own a chicago electric hvlp electric that i've use to spray water based stains with some success, so I see no reason why I couldn't use it for painting a screen.

Make the RIGHT choice. Painting the Sintra allows you to get the performance you'll need.

Quote:
I'll post some pics of the room later (can't find my camera at the moment), but it is approx. 10 1/4 ft wide x 21 1/2 ft long x 8ft high.


I'm debating between the Epson 8350
, Mitsubishi HC4000.

Quote:
I'm targeting about 100 in. for the screen size.


The room is fairly well light controlled, but certainly not a black or very dark room.


I'm leaning toward the Sintra because of the "ready" state the product is in. Painting seems to just be something to make it better (it's already ready to use as is as I understand it).

It can be used as a white screen....but it's a world of difference when effectively painted.

Quote:
Any thoughts on a solution for the screen?

Thinkin's dun. So Get'ter dun. BTW.... "Whip it.....whip it good!"

Quote:
Thanks,

~Whip


BTW - thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. I've learned so much already that I would never have known without all the good information here.

Always good to see some appreciation posted. Thank you too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipdancer /forum/post/20766426


I've been slowly putting together a media room and I'm ready to pick a screen. I had originally set my mind on going with Wilson Art - but the issues about mounting it are worrisome for me. I'm not very good with right angles and my attempts at frame mock-ups have been ugly.


After reading about Sintra, that seems to be a solid choice. However, I'm not clear on where you can get it.


I'm also undecided on painting.


I own a chicago electric hvlp electric that i've use to spray water based stains with some success, so I see no reason why I couldn't use it for painting a screen.


I'll post some pics of the room later (can't find my camera at the moment), but it is approx. 10 1/4 ft wide x 21 1/2 ft long x 8ft high.


I'm debating between the Epson 8350, Mitsubishi HC4000. I'm targeting about 100 in. for the screen size.


The room is fairly well light controlled, but certainly not a black or very dark room.


I'm leaning toward the Sintra because of the "ready" state the product is in. Painting seems to just be something to make it better (it's already ready to use as is as I understand it).


Any thoughts on a solution for the screen?


Thanks,

~Whip


BTW - thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. I've learned so much already that I would never have known without all the good information here.

I bought a piece of Sintra from a plastics supply company. I had to do some research to find them. My piece had some nicks and scratches on both sides but some drywall mud and some sanding took care of them. I will be painting it this week with MMLLv2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/20766551


Where do you live?

Sorry, I didn't realize I had left that out of my profile - I'm in Houston, TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/20766551


Make the RIGHT choice. Painting the Sintra allows you to get the performance you'll need.

That's my understanding - and why I volunteered about using a sprayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/20766551


It can be used as a white screen....but it's a world of difference when effectively painted.

That's what I was hoping would be the case.


~Whip
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
25,006 Posts
Your best price would come from having a sheet shipped to you from El Paso.

Piedmont Plastics


Sintra - $93.00 for 5' x 10' x 6"" cut to order. Shipping is $80.00


I'd have to place the order for you to get those terms, but you pay for it directly.


If you can scale back to 98" you can save at least an additional $30.00 by getting a 4' x 8' x 6mm sheet and having it cut to 4' x 85".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that was a quick reply. And I'm all for it. Can you PM me the details (assuming it would not be appropriate to post them here)?


Here are some images of the room in question. Please ignore the "stuff". We are getting rid of the stand up dish/curio cabinet, fixing the grandfather clock (it was my grandfather's clock), and the buffet will become our dry bar:


The ceiling is the same color as the lower half of the walls. The two colors are from the Behr Ultra Premium Plus line, in Matte finish. Just to give you an idea - the room was completely red previously (we bought the house in January). This is the red:
. We are in the process of repainting the entry way, as well (a neutral color that matches the existing wall paper).


We will be adding black out curtain to the windows and the back wall (by the foyer). I'm considering adding a blackout curtain over the pocket door to the kitchen as well, but that may not be necessary.



From the back of the room facing the projection wall. Shows the windows on the right side of the room (2 large windows).



From the back of the room facing the projection wall. Shows the door to the kitchen on left side of the room (pocket door to kitchen). You can also see the wires coming out of the wall in the far corner by the projector wall, and in the nearer corner, where the equipment will go.



From the projection wall facing back. Show the back of the room as it opens up to the foyer/front-door entry area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/20768397


Your best price would come from having a sheet shipped to you from El Paso.

Piedmont Plastics


Sintra - $93.00 for 5' x 10' x 6"" cut to order. Shipping is $80.00


I'd have to place the order for you to get those terms, but you pay for it directly.


If you can scale back to 98" you can save at least an additional $30.00 by getting a 4' x 8' x 6mm sheet and having it cut to 4' x 85".

I'm not particularly worried about $30 - but thanks for pointing that out.


That does bring up a question for me. I'm under the impression that I should go with as big a picture as I can (something about "no one's ever complained about the movie being too big"). I'm limited to 123" width on my projection wall. I need 13" on either side for my L&R mains. That leaves me 97" of width to play with. Should I try to use ALL of that for screen? And just do top and bottom borders?


~Whip
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
25,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipdancer /forum/post/20768503


I'm not particularly worried about $30 - but thanks for pointing that out.


That does bring up a question for me. I'm under the impression that I should go with as big a picture as I can (something about "no one's ever complained about the movie being too big"). I'm limited to 123" on my projection wall. I need 13" on either side for my L&R mains. That leaves me 97" of width to play with. Should I try to use ALL of that for screen? And just do top and bottom borders?


~Whip

122" diagonal = 105" actual width.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipdancer /forum/post/20769200


Sorry, 123" of total width, not diagonal.

Pythagoras won't let you go wider than 106". Your limiting factor will be screen heigth using the 5X10' Sintra if you're doing a 16/9 ratio. If you used the full 60" width you'ld end up with a 106+ wide screen and 122" diagonal. More than likely you'll want to cover the edge so you're talking a bit smaller. I used the 60" Sintra, covered 1 1/4" of the edge with some of the border and ended with 57.25x101.75 for 117" diagonal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobg /forum/post/20769734


Pythagoras won't let you go wider than 106". Your limiting factor will be screen heigth using the 5X10' Sintra if you're doing a 16/9 ratio. If you used the full 60" width you'ld end up with a 106+ wide screen and 122" diagonal. More than likely you'll want to cover the edge so you're talking a bit smaller. I used the 60" Sintra, covered 1 1/4" of the edge with some of the border and ended with 57.25x101.75 for 117" diagonal.

Pythagoras was a jerk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I've settled on 94" x 58.5" for a 108" screen. I think that's as big as I can go.


I am stoked. The biggest TV (video image of any kind) I've ever owned is 43". The hard part now is to take my time and finish things up right. I've narrowed down my A/V-R selection (going down a step or two) and my projector selection (going up a step). Building my HTPC now. Room is wired. Must not rush the painting of the screen.


~Whip
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
25,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipdancer /forum/post/20773838


So I've settled on 94" x 58.5" for a 108" screen. I think that's as big as I can go.


~Whip


Uhhh....a 108" 16:9 screen is 53" x 94"


Where are you getting those crazy figures?



Some kinda typo, hopefully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepyourgameup /forum/post/20769742


Pythagoras was a jerk.

But a smart one



whipdancer,


You know that math we all hated in jr. high. It turns out there is a use for it
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
25,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipdancer /forum/post/20777595


I mis-read my notes.


108*0.495=53.46


So it should be 94x53.5

It never pays to deal in fractions when determining a Screen's dimensions.


When using a screen calculator, often there is a 1" variance between steps. Playing it safe means choosing the smaller figure because you can always use the Black Boarder to mask off .5" difference in width, but you cannot "grow" an image into a too wide or too tall area that is not correctly formatted in size. Trying to that results in the entire edge of the image falling into the masked area.


If doing your project myself, I'd settle in on 94" x 53". Accommodating some overlap onto the sides is a LOT more easier to manage than falling short on the top & bottom edges, and that is what you risk doing if you go any measurement with the .5 - 1 inch variable between 94" x 53" and 95" x 53"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan
It never pays to deal in fractions when determining a Screen's dimensions.


When using a screen calculator, often there is a 1" variance between steps. Playing it safe means choosing the smaller figure because you can always use the Black Boarder to mask off .5" difference in width, but you cannot "grow" an image into a too wide or too tall area that is not correctly formatted in size. Trying to that results in the entire edge of the image falling into the masked area.


If doing your project myself, I'd settle in on 94" x 53". Accommodating some overlap onto the sides is a LOT more easier to manage than falling short on the top & bottom edges, and that is what you risk doing if you go any measurement with the .5 - 1 inch variable between 94" x 53" and 95" x 53"
I assumed as much regarding fractions - although, I figured going 94x54 would be the better choice as it gives me a little extra room vertically and keeps my width (which is really my limiting factor). However, you have far more experience than I do (or will) - so I'll keep following your advice and go with 94x53.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
I just got my 4'x8' sintra yesterday and plopped it on a table against my wall to just see the projected image on it (Mits HC4000). Looks very good. I think I could see the texture a little. Is my only painting option to spray or can I use brush or roller. I don't really want to mask everything in my bedroom but if I have to.....
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
25,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee /forum/post/20780082


I just got my 4'x8' sintra yesterday and plopped it on a table against my wall to just see the projected image on it (Mits HC4000). Looks very good. I think I could see the texture a little. Is my only painting option to spray or can I use brush or roller. I don't really want to mask everything in my bedroom but if I have to.....

The ability to roll is judged by the type Mix you chose. No matter what else, with any application you want to get as smooth a finish as possible.


When you spray Sintra, it smooths out to almost perfection. But in the spraying, the metallic content is put up so the the surface does not consist of too high a ratio of reflective particles lying parallel to the the PJ Lens.


Rolling "always" arranges a much greater percentage of such reflective particles in such an adverse manner. Now you could use a High nap Roller to create "lift", but of course you then have texture....and you most assuredly do NOT want texture.


RS-MaxxMudd LL v2.1 is the highest performance paint mix that still allows for rolling. It has reasonable Ambient light performance. Everything else that is of a Darker Gray and that has significant metallic content requires spraying.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top