AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 2 years now and I have never setup my Plasma for anything else other then watching DVD movies. Now I think it's time for setting up it for HD. What HD receiver do you guy's recommend? I have the HD dish from DirecTV already but no receiver.

Thanks

·
Registered
33,791 Posts
For pure PQ the Zenith DTV1080 can't be beat. It also has the best upconversion of any STB on the market. The downside is it may be a bit diffucult to find now since it just got discontinued. The new version will be equipped with DVI.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There's a group buy going for this on the *************** (is it ok to mention that forum?). Looking, however, at some of the posts for the 1080 (I'm in exactly the same situation you're in, looking to add HD asap), it appears that there are several glitches with the Zenith (loss of menus, software incompatibility with DirecTV that may or may not be resolved, and having to push buttons on the back of the unit in the course of normal operations). I also have read on this forum that the Panasonic is real good for upconverting and PQ. Then, a lot of people also seem to like the Toshiba. Then, there's the fact that both Samsung and Zenith are coming out with new units this June and August, respectively, with at least DVI connections among a whole lot of other enhancements.

At this point, I'm clueless as to which way to go--buy now, and what? or wait another three or four months (which I don't really want to do).

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The Hughes/Tosh/Mits receiver is really nice. It has a great guide and updated software which fixes some of the earlier bugs. The output is always 1080i however. I don't know how big of a difference this is. I have the Toshiba and have never regretted it.

The guide in the Panny has a bad reputation for being slow and ugly. I don't know anything about the guide in the Zenith. I do think its questionable whther there will ever be an update to fix the Zenith problems.

There are lots of posts and opinions on the HTDV Hardware forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.