AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for ideas on I could get time lapse photos (over about a 8-9 month period) in a remote (far north) cabin location.

I am currently thinking that maybe there is a camera which store photos in its internal memory over a long period of time and which uses very little power and mostly resides in some form of "sleep state".

There is likely no renewable power source at the location.

There is no wireless, telecomm or other services available for over 150 miles.

This is located on a remote island in Canada and the winter temps will often be 30, 40+ below zero.

The camera could be located within the cabin, or self encapsulated and weatherproofed and put elsewhere.

Looking for ideas on "IF" this could be done, and "IDEAS".

Thanks in advance,

Scott

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmm... 30-40 below? I guess the trained monkey and pile of bananas idea is out. Anyway, that's a heck of a project you have there.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, my dad has a solar panel he uses in the summer to charge some 12v car batteries ... but the winter conditions do not allow for use of a solar panel in the winter. In fact, his roof mount got ripped off in last summers snow and it took about 9 3" decking screws with it -- the power of winter freeze. Now the solar panel is mounted off the deck and only in the summer months.

·
Registered
367 Posts
There is a remote location game camera that might be adaptable. Look up "camtrakker" or "cuddeback" on Google. However, capacity on thse is very limited, and it's likely to be unworkable for the time and purpose you've specified.

A more general search on "time lapse photography" or "time lapse cameras" will also give you more information.

The problem with this situation is going to be in keeping it powered for such a long time, and batteries decrease in functionality in the cold. Protecting it from weather extremes will be an issue too.

If you are willing to spend a LOT of money, anything is possible. One interesting solution involves a digital camera (much like the web-based home montering systems, perhaps), attached to a satellite phone. Periodically, it phones home and downloads the pics. Again, reliable power is the main problem.

Have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really, I think I'd be looking to get a decent time lapse sequence of shots over many months, thats all.

I'd say I also want motion, but there would probably be all sorts of false ons that I wouldn't really want, so I think just getting a time lapse would be all I'd be looking for.

I know it wouldn't be exciting to most folks, but to my dad, it would be.

My latest ideas are as follows:

car battery + pda + time lapse software + webcam -- would need to sleep most of the time

and just wake up and take a shot and go back to sleep for another (n) days.

I was thinking of using a pda just because of low power consumption, its ability to run simple programs and the availability of memory based storage (like a gig or so).

My experience with pda(s) is that they go a long time on a set of AAA batteries, so I was wondering how long they might concievably last using a car (or marine) battery and a DC to PDA adaptor of some kind.

Maybe a small solar panel could be added into the mix, to trickle charge the battery on clear days and perhaps from within the cabin or a weatherproof enclosure.

Maybe I need to talk with someone with mars rover/lander experience, since they make stuff to survive mars and certainly this would be less demanding than that.

But my budget would be a LITTLE lower ;-))

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They also have something called an isun, solar powered pda charger. Maybe that would keep it alive?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have seen these before. What you should do is going to your local hunting, sportsman's store. They have these cameras for photographing deer throughout the off-season.

They are "all-weather" cameras, but 40 below might be outside of that realm. Anyway, it's worth a try.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. There seems to be a lot of hunting related cameras out there as you said. I'm not sure about battery live, but its a good start. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
If you're looking to capture images of vandals or users, putting a camera inside the cabin might be a much easier pursuit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.