AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I want to do. Record HD programs and watch it over the internet (or some other ways remotely). I'll be at overseas. I need to be able to change channels. I think all of these can be accomplished with Slingbox HD if I just watch it live, but I want to be able to record it because of the massive time difference. It doesn't matter if I record it locally or overseas, but I want to be able to time shift. I need to be able to record and change channels remotely, so I don't have to ask somebody here to do those things. Is this doable?

·
Registered
123 Posts
The easiest would probable be to run MediaPortal or whatever TV-client you use and use Windows Remote Desktop. The Windows 7 version is supposed to handle playback of movies as long as you have the bandwith.

Another solution would be some sort of VPN.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a related question. I have a cable-box/DVR attached to my HDTV in my family room. I would like to view "live" HDTV in another room, as well as view previously recored DVR. I have Linksys Powerline (PLS300).

Can I connect a second HDTV via ethernet powerline and receive these transmissions. If so, how? Will SlingboxHD or SageTV accomplish what I want?

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notti /forum/post/17027275

Here's what I want to do. Record HD programs and watch it over the internet (or some other ways remotely). ...

Looking for the same solution.

I already have in the family from an HDTV + DVR connected to HD Cable

My home network is Linksys PowerLine (PLS300)

I would like to also watch my DVR and HD Cable channels in another room.

I do not want to go through a computer

·
Registered
67 Posts
Take a look at a HAVA Titanium HD I have one setup so that my son can watch our local sports teams when he is away at college. They have some refurbished ones at the website for a very good price even a full price they are cheaper than a Slingbox. Their website is myhava dot com.

Tom

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2 /forum/post/17093344

Take a look at a HAVA Titanium HD I have one setup so that my son can watch our local sports teams when he is away at college. They have some refurbished ones at the website for a very good price even a full price they are cheaper than a Slingbox. Their website is myhava dot com.

Tom

Thank you. I had not heard of the product before your post. I looked at various web sites and my impression is that HAVA Titanium HD compares very favorably to Slingbox. Please correct if my impressions are wrong that
  1. while HAVA Titanium HD receives HD, it does not broadcast in full HD. And,
  2. even with a home ethernet PowerLine, a computer must be between the remote PowerLine port and the receiving TV.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't know why it is called HD because it does not do HiDef. It does look pretty good on my local network. Yes you do need a computer on the receiving end. My son uses his laptop at school to watch the local teams when he is away.

Tom

·
Registered
679 Posts
Most of the networks already make a lot of their shows available for viewing from their website, hulu, or some other sites. Do they have restrictions that prevent someone in a foreign country from viewing them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts