AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the time-shifting of the Replay, but I hardly have time to watch what I've shifted because of HDTV. By the time I have a chance to sit and watch something, all the HD shows come on, and it's unbelievably hard to watch SD content when there's HD on.

What I really, really, really need is to be able to time-shift HD or SD. What can I do or how long will I have to wait?

Tim

·
Registered
339 Posts
your options as of now are

a pc based hdtv recorder, i.e. hipix, myhd, accesdtv, pcdtv, etc.. (check out the hdtv recorders forum in avsforum)

or the 169-time "hack/upgrade" of the dtc-100 and a dvhs deck, also see the hdtv recorders forum for more info

else

the dish network pvr-921 vaporware to arrive anywhere from 2003 q1-q3 or the newly annouced sony hdtv pvr with no arrival date

also the panasonic version of the dish pvr921 later this year, maybe

-jeff

·
Registered
286 Posts
I believe there is a PCI card that can record HD and play back later. Otherwise it will be years before you see HD-DVR. However I understand there is a HD tape recorder somewhere you can buy now. There should be some discussion in the HDTV section on it.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Jeff hit it all. There are really not any other options at this time.

I too am waiting for the first HD replay!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good luck. Once they force all HDTV content to go through the DVI port and use High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), there won't be a legal way to record HD content.

Thanks DMCA!

(Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), that makes it illegal to distribute "circumvention technology", such as systems that break copyright protection schemes)

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want one of those HD recorders that bad, as they run $1000 and up and I think they require firewire or 1394 interface which my HD receiver (Hughes E86) and Mits 55819 don't have.

Some kind of hard disk recording would be my preference. Ideally, HD receivers will be available with hard disks for buffering. I've seen the Panasonic DVD recorder that has a hard disk for time-shifting. Maybe it's not that big a stretch to add a hard disk to the HD receiver?

Perhaps Sonicblue should get into the HD receiver business. In the meantime, I think I'll take a look at some kind of HDPC card.

scottamus,

Why did you say "it will be years before you see HD-DVR"? Do you really think so? Why?

dfedders,

I'm hopeful that reality will set in soon, and the powers that be will recognize HDTV the same way they consider "regular" TV today. There was a time when the jump from B&W TV to Color TV was just as significant as the jump from SD to HD TV. When HD becomes commonplace it might not be held up as the same "sacred cow" it seems to be today.

Maybe when HDTV becomes obsolete by 3D hologram or whatever's next technology, they'll finally figure out that they can't lock up any one technology. I hope it doesn't take that long!

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
>>your options as of now are

Well, there's one other option: time-shift HDTV material at 480i. Granted, it's not HD, but it's a lot better than SD material, time-shifted or not.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It will be years before we can do anything thing with HD content that is very useful. It will take years for DMCA to erode enough for the average person, who doesn't live in Russia or China to be able to record their shows.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The pace at which HDTV is emerging implies that it will be awhile before one comes out. The percentage of people with HDTVs is still small. The percentage of people with DVRs is still small. The percentage of HDTV shows is small. I have 100+ channels and 9 of them have HDTV. That number hasn't changed much in a long time. So the market for an HDDVR seems pretty tiny right now. So the cost of such a device, if it did come out soon would be more than most would be willing to pay. Until more sat/cable channels step up to the plate and start dishing out the HD, it will remain mearly a novelty.

I suppose next xmas we might get lucky.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acourvil
>>your options as of now are

Well, there's one other option: time-shift HDTV material at 480i. Granted, it's not HD, but it's a lot better than SD material, time-shifted or not.
Any way to take the component out from my HDTV cable box and down-convert it to s-video?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Unfortunately, while there are cheap, or at least reasonable, format converters for s-video to composite, VGA to Component and vice versa, and VGA to s-vdeo, I think that the solutions for converting component to s-video are very expensive.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Stewart
Any way to take the component out from my HDTV cable box and down-convert it to s-video?
You could always buy a small television with component inputs and seal it in a box with a decent camcorder aimed at it, focused and zoomed precisely. Run component cables in to the TV, and an S-Video cable out from the camcorder. ;)

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
At last week's western cable show (well, it has a new name but I can't remember it), Sony announced a new line of cable set top boxes, along with some technology that (if adopted by cable providers) would open up the digital STB market to end-user competition.

Their press release ( http://www.sonypassage.com/news.htm ) isn't very clear, but at least one and maybe two of the four announced models is HD + PVR, including the ability to record HD. For the one that's definitely HD + PVR, it's not clear who's providing the PVR technology or if it's something of their own; the other one (whose description doesn't mention HD, but which is listed earlier and therefore according to the press release higher end) is a Moxie unit.

The press release gives an URL for pictures and more information, but as of yesterday I still couldn't find anything there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.