AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to buy a new tuner/capture card... since they all cost under $100, picture quality is what will drive my decision. Only option, other than buying all three and comparing them myself, is to ask here where all the knowlegeable people roam!

Prolink XCapture has only capture no tuner, but is the cheapest. There is a whole thread devoted to this card, and I read it. I wanted to start a new thread to compare 881 cards.

MSI is the mid priced one, coolest looking in my opinion... but what about the picture?
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/[email protected]

Asus TV Tuner is the most expensive, I have read at least one comment about this card...

http://www.asus.com.tw/vga/tvtuner/overview.htm

Leadtek http://www.leadtek.com.tw/www/Web_Le...-XP-deluxe.asp

I don't know if this has the 881 chip, goes for the same price as the MSI card.

Which one would you buy, knowing that 881 will soon be supported by DScaler?

Thanks

Gireesh

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have an Asus 880 on the way. I wanted a tuner, on

the XCapture is out, and there seems to be some doubt

as to whether the [email protected] supports stereo.

I'll let you know how it looks when it gets here...

Other capture cards I own:

WinTV dbx

WinTV HD

WinTV D

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Well DScaler doesn't really use the WDM drivers so I wouldn't worry about that.

I understand there are issues with the latest DScaler alpha version and the Asus card. Support for the XCapture card is pretty good since John Adcock has one.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Btwn these cards, do any of them support sending the (PCM Stereo hopefully) Audio over the PCI bus? Suffice it to say that some of us out here have our reasons for wanting this. All too many of these Tuner cards simply send the Audio out a Stereo Jack which is intended to either connect to an Amplifier directly or to the Line-In of a PC's Sound Card.

From what I can see on the MSI site, they include the Audio Loop-back cable. I've found that on other cards this is a dead giveaway that Audio over the PCI is not supported.

What about the ASUS card? I did see an Audio Out jack but it didn't look like the loop-back cable was included....

Could any MSI/ASUS TV Tuner/Capture Card owners please comment?

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi,

I got the ProLink PlayTV HD for around $50 in a local shop. The quality is very good. Though I heard great comment about the Asus and may get it too. I also got a FlyVideo 2000 using the Philips SAA7130 chip. Will try to compare them tonight.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
50 Posts
The MSI [email protected] uses the Audio LoopBack Cable at least with the supplied Interideo Software, its not clear if Audio over PCI is supprted (but I'm guessing its not).

There is also some doubts as wether Stereo output us supported by the Card in US standard

Dscaler support in the lettest Alpha has the card working with the tunner (no audio), Image looks good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
what are the chances that any of these cards will have VFW drivers at any point (for those of us who prefer to use vdub)?

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gireesh
I have to buy a new tuner/capture card... since they all cost under $100, picture quality is what will drive my decision. Only option, other than buying all three and comparing them myself, is to ask here where all the knowlegeable people roam!

Prolink XCapture has only capture no tuner, but is the cheapest. There is a whole thread devoted to this card, and I read it. I wanted to start a new thread to compare 881 cards.
I think your decision will depend on what your intended use is. In my case I was only interested in deinterlacing the output from my satellite receiver.

Therefore, I was interested in a card without a tuner to pick up noise. Any audio features again were not needed in my case.

I've just upgraded to an XCapture card and I am very pleased with the very low noise, excellent picture quality, and reasonable price.

I may eventually consider the Holo3D card when the prices comes down and SDI sources, i.e., satellite receivers, DVD players, etc. are available at more reasonable prices.

Larry

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 879 based capture card with no tuner, it did have the least noise at the time it came out, but for KBK modified cards.

Since the XCapture does not have a tuner, I am looking at the MSI and ASUS card. Both companies manufacture video cards and motherboards and I would expect these cards to have low noise levels. Someone who has the ASUS card has been saying that its noise levels are lower than the XCapture.

I sure would like to findout what chipset is on the Leadtek card. The video cards that Leadtek makes have outstanding quality.

Gireesh

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Well my X-capture still has strobing/flickering at the very top of the screen on all channels (with all Dscaler versions 4.1.0 to 4.1.4). But my WinTV works perfectly in the same set-up... so, hardware problem or software problem? any guesses?

Has anyone tried/reviewed the FlyVideo 2000 card???? I'm very curious about this card... Li On mentioned it in an earlier post. It sells for $65 on one website.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.