AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post here, I have been reading here for sometime and find this is great site for info, thanks to everyone.

Well I have narrowed it down to two sets, the Mits 55413 or the Hitachi 51s500. It's a coin toss at this point and I'm wanting to settle this before the weekend.

I watch mostly DirectTV and DVD, all my local channels come from the dish also. I don't have HD on the dish yet, it will be down the road (spring). I have tried to compare these sets side by side in the stores, but can't find one in my area that has both, wonder why that is. I'm mostly concerned about the stretch modes. I have not seen much difference between the two sets as far as stretch goes, anyway this is driving me nuts on which one to choose.

I'm looking for you votes and any comments you my have on these two sets.

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
603 Posts
My vote would be for the Mits just because it's bigger.

But you said it - it's basically a toss up. I was deciding between the 65s500 and the WS-65413. I went with the Mits because it was $100 cheaper at Sears.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just purchased the Mitsubishi 55413 and I personally think that the stretch modes on the Mitsubishi are better. I had previously owned the 51S500 and though I think Hitachi has the better looking cabinet, so far I am happier with the Mitsubishi. I have only had it a few days and have not done any tweaking except for lowering contrast and brightness. I also think the the Mits has a brighter picture and maybe that's because the screen's anti glare isn't as dark as the Hitachi's. This is just my opinion, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Does the Mits handle 720p? I know the Hitachi does. If the Mits doesn't, I would get the Hitachi for its ability to handle 720p. I have a 57S500, and I am not disappointed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's guy's.

I went to the store again and ran the mits through all the things I could think of and I think this is going to be the one for me. The only problem I have heard of with the mits is the dvi input seems to have a shift problem which I understand is being worked on.

Thanks Again for all your input.

Dan

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I vote for the Mits 55413.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The Mits doesn't do 720p at all. Not upscaled, nothing on screen with a 720p input on the component input. This makes a difference for things like HD gaming with the xbox. That is why I have to suggest the Hitachi instead.

Sorny

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Guys, I did it.

I went out tonight and purchased the Mits 55413 and will have it Friday. I went back and looked and played with the Hitachi 57s500 on the dish in 4.3 stretched with av input for awhile then went to the other store and did the same with the Mits and the Mits won, no questions asked. That was enough for me, also I don't play games so the no 720P up-convert is not a problem.

Thanks again for all the replies and I will wright back after I have a week with it to let you know what I think.

One more question, where is the cheapest place on the net to order the Avia disk?

Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought the Mits 55413, all plugged in and ready for my viewing pleasure and.... nothing but green screen. New TV replacement coming this Sat. Through a little negotiation with Sears mgt, getting the new for a little under $1700. Not bad for the aggrevation. Hopefully the picture will be worth it

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Beware. Mits (orHitachi) does not factory authorize online retailers and will not honor warranty if purchased from one. I advise buying from B&M only.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Maybe i dont understand the technology because I am kind of new to this but i dont understand why you would want a T.V. that doesnt disply 720p. Isnt that what HDTV will broadcast in soon? Meaning that is what the native picture will be broadcast in and even though you can upconvert and downconvert, it just seems to me you would want a T.V. that could handle the signal that HDTV uses. Am I wrong here?

·
Registered
603 Posts
HDTV is broadcast is both 720p and 1080i and will be for the forseeable future. There are no displays that I know of that display both - at least in my price range. DLP's and LCD's display 720p while CRT RPTV's display 1080i. This doesn't present a problem though, as your cable or satellite box can convert all incoming signals to the one your TV handles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
From the specs it says (Hitachi) 1080i,720p,540p,480p,480i input processing - That means it can convert a 720p signal to 1080i?

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blakeas
Maybe i dont understand the technology because I am kind of new to this but i dont understand why you would want a T.V. that doesnt disply 720p. Isnt that what HDTV will broadcast in soon? Meaning that is what the native picture will be broadcast in and even though you can upconvert and downconvert, it just seems to me you would want a T.V. that could handle the signal that HDTV uses. Am I wrong here?
You need to look at it from a real world user perspective. If you have 720p programming and it is converted to 1080i by a stb or other device it is no issue. If you have a 720p source such as XBox then you may want to either get a set that can handle 720p natively/convert or get a device that can convert it. It is not as big a deal as it seems. It is a non-issue for many. ABC does broadcast 720p to my 55613 and the internal tuner just converts it to 1080i. It is like anything else you have to consider when purchasing a set, there things some sets will do that others don't, you have to choose what is best to suit your individual needs. That is it.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Any HDTV tuner or Cable TV box will convert 720p to 1080i, but as for playing 720p X-Box games there's not any convenient device I can think of that will accept a 720p signal from the X-Box's component outputs, and convert it to 1080i. Cable boxes and HDTV tuners do not have a 720p capable component input, so it's unclear to me how one would play an 720p X-Box game on a Mitsubishi HDTV at all.

If you want to use your TV to play X-Box titles at 720p you probably need to get a TV that can accept a 720p signal in some way shape or form.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blakeas
From the specs it says (Hitachi) 1080i,720p,540p,480p,480i input processing - That means it can convert a 720p signal to 1080i?
Yes, 720p is converted to 540p or 1080i (user selectable).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.