AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been that interested in DVD recorders before so I'm unsure of what to buy.But my wife is a huge Roseanne fan and with Nick about to start showing all episodes I thought a nice surprise might be a HD-recorder like the panny E80.With my little knowledge it seems to have the best bang for the buck currently...am I right?Also, one question-the current SV says the E80H playbacks DVD-A,but theres no mention of that on the Panasonic website.Can someone confirm whether it does or not?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I too have been waiting for a year and a half to buy. Finally, Pionner is coming out with the 510h model next month. It will cost around $600 delivered and I think it offers the best bang for the buck. It has firewire and thumbnail menus. Traditionally, Pionner has had a better picture conversion than the Panasonic. I think this one is a winner and would hold off unitl Nov-03 to see. Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
I might offer that I've been very satisfied with the E80H I bought. Using it to archive extended family VHS tapes. Have done maybe 100 DVD-Rs so far. The only problem is that occasionally, when switching from DVD-RAM to DVD-R the machine will reboot itself. Doesn't create a coaster though, and it seems to happen on a large number of the devices. I did contact panny and they said to bring it in for repair (although they didn't suggest they knew what the problem was or could fix it).

·
Registered
15 Posts
With this being explosive, emerging market, we'll see vendors leap-frog each other daily. In Nov there will be even newer models on the horizon that we will lust after. Buy then or wait? The tyranny never ends. Personally I wouldn't miss an opportunity to surprise the little lady unless the missing feature was a deal breaker for her or the both of you. If you need firewire, pass on the E80H. Either get the pioneer or probably pay more than $600 for the E100H.

BTW, I paid $555 for my E80H and I've seen others quote prices in the low $500s. I didn't need firewire.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
The E80 does play DVD-A, but only in 2-channel. That, to me, kinda defeats the purpose of DVD-A.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.