AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Finland!

First some info about me
I have been aware of tapped horns about six months now and have read some(quite many) topics like LilWrecker, anarchyHorn and so on. Home-diy-sub experience I have only from couple of vented enclosures so this is going to be a bit more complicated built.
Oh, I almost forget: At the moment my sub is TL, 120liter and goes little bit below 30Hz.

WinISD is familiar but I don't use it anymore because of Hornresp. As an engineer, I fell love in that gorgeous program:p With Hornresp and Lilmike's tutorials I have been able to model few options for my first tapped horn.

The Horn
It is going to use Ground Zero GZRW30SPL (I happen to have two of those and they come with good price/quality factor)
Diameter 300 mm / 12“
Mounting diameter 281 mm / 11.06“
Mounting depth 150mm / 5.91“
Re 3,7 Ohm
Res 84,9 Ohm
FS 33 Hz
Qms 5.97
Qes 0.38
Qts 0.36
Rms 5,6 kg/s
Cms 0.14mm/N
Mms 161 gr
BL 18 N/A
Le 1.95 mH
SPL 92 dB
VAS 52 L / 1.82 cu.ft
Linear excursion(one direction) 8,5mm / 0.335“
EffectiveXmax 20mm / 0.787“

Goals:
It must go to 20Hz wiht great force
some quality in sound perhaps
Not too big since my wife doesn't like it big.
Louder than my TL with same 420w amp

This is what I have been planning:
Text Line Font Design Plot

Horn's volume is 330 liter and other input parameters you can see below:
Text Font Screenshot Number

After three foldings it looks like this:
Text Line Automotive design Vehicle Car

Horn's length is 4mm longer than unfolded model, measured from horn's centerline. Volume is 30 liter bigger than in unfolded:confused: Overall volume is 559L so its quite big though... Width 570mm, height 1810mm and depth 542mm

Building started today by cutting some 25mm birch plywood for back, front and sides. All the biggest pieces made:) Pictures coming some day...

So, how it looks?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite similar response and sensitivity with SI. But I don't care:p

Some reasons for TH:
1. I have never heard one so I want to test it
2. I know what to expect with ported box. It is something I don't fully like. Ported doesn't integrate to mains as well as TL or hopefully TH. Reason for that may also be driver/box combination...
3. So much great reviews about TH. Lower distortion, faster response, better sensitivity, less phase problems.

I also like the fundamentals of horns: Air in the horn is part of the sound making device rather than just spring pushed by driver like in sealed and ported boxes.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
2) is nonsense, 3) is borderline nonsense.

Can you quantify "faster response" ?

To clarify,
TH have an ugly top end, as you can see in your graph. This is harder to integrate with mains. Ported has a nice smooth response that will be easily blended with a proper crossover.

Lots of the stuff you're trying to gain, sensitivity, distortion, etc, becomes irrelevant when you can use a larger higher sensitivity driver, and do it in an even smaller enclosure.

I'm not saying not to build a horn, 1) is a great reason, but the rest is nonsensical.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can not quantify faster response yet and I think that it isn't the best phrase to use at all. I'm beginner in hifi, just about a year spend with car audio...
So let's see how this turn out. I haven't heard this big ported sub so it is unfear to compare by listening. But if I like this, then I'm satisfied and might try big ported also.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I can not quantify faster response yet and I think that it isn't the best phrase to use at all. I'm beginner in hifi, just about a year spend with car audio...
So let's see how this turn out. I haven't heard this big ported sub so it is unfear to compare by listening. But if I like this, then I'm satisfied and might try big ported also.
I actually just finished modeling a 16hz tuned UM18-22 or SI 18 HT box for someone... posting so you can see how it compares.

15 cubic feet internal, completely massive, but had depth constraints..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did also some modeling before responded to you and it doesn't look bad at all. Might be constructing one of those some day just to compare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Horn is working! Just test assembly; no glue or any kind of sealing, only screws. Goes to 16Hz and there's no peaks 70hz or 120hz. I set LPF to 150hz without any problems.
40Hz comes quite loud but it can be because of the room.

Image shows what I managed to to with 300watts and 24Hz :grin:

Next thing is to disassemble that 150kg thing and use some glue(probably sikabond or similar) and do the bracings.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts