AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like there are a lot more good options out there now for solid media streaming, and I think I can finally move on from my Boxee Box. The problem is now it seems there are too many options. Right now I use my PS4 for all streaming services (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) but I know it's a power hog and I'm irritated at having to use the controller still. So I'm debating a few options to retire the Boxee Box.

Kodi/Chromebox

I realize this is the most powerful option, and most customizable. I got my start in streaming by hacking my original Xbox and loading up XBMC, so I'm familiar with what a great experience it can be. I also understand it can now handle HD audio formats, which was not previously the case. I also expect it to have the best file support. One question I have is this, how easy is it to find a way to control it? I have a Harmony 650 that ideally I'd like to use. Is there an easy way to do that?

Fire TV and Plex

I've never really used Plex, but it seems like a simple way to stream stuff. I also like the voice search and expect it's a snappy interface. It also leaves the possibility of me side loading Kodi or something in the future. It's also a cheaper option over the Chrome Box.

Plex through the PS4

The cheapest option. Again, I have no experience with Plex. The real pro here is I don't need a new box!

So how do people feel about this different options in comparison to one another?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It looks like there are a lot more good options out there now for solid media streaming, and I think I can finally move on from my Boxee Box. The problem is now it seems there are too many options. Right now I use my PS4 for all streaming services (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) but I know it's a power hog and I'm irritated at having to use the controller still. So I'm debating a few options to retire the Boxee Box.

Kodi/Chromebox

I realize this is the most powerful option, and most customizable. I got my start in streaming by hacking my original Xbox and loading up XBMC, so I'm familiar with what a great experience it can be. I also understand it can now handle HD audio formats, which was not previously the case. I also expect it to have the best file support. One question I have is this, how easy is it to find a way to control it? I have a Harmony 650 that ideally I'd like to use. Is there an easy way to do that?

Fire TV and Plex

I've never really used Plex, but it seems like a simple way to stream stuff. I also like the voice search and expect it's a snappy interface. It also leaves the possibility of me side loading Kodi or something in the future. It's also a cheaper option over the Chrome Box.

Plex through the PS4

The cheapest option. Again, I have no experience with Plex. The real pro here is I don't need a new box!

So how do people feel about this different options in comparison to one another?
Currently going through the same thing. Boxee box is all packed up and listed on craigslist.

I am skipping chromebox/Fire TV setup because I would like to play 4k content (very limited) + blu ray isos or remuxes with HD lossless sound.

I have never tried Plex but as I understand it requires a Plex server and it transcodes the files for delivery.

I am currently using PCH-VTEN (US) model for streaming movies from a NAS to a Vizio P70. I miss the boxee remote and the UI. The PCH is not a complete solution, you can read more about it in its own thread. Next I am looking at Intel NUC(5i5) with Windows or Kodi (HDMI 1.4) or making my own HTPC with GTX 960 (H265 encoding/decoding, VP9 + HDMI 2 with HDCP 2.2)

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You can get the Chromebox and use it for either Kodi or Plex. You will need a server of some sort for the plex backend. It doesn't have to transcode for a Chromebox. I would say that if you just have one box you are playing media on, stick with Kodi as it's the most advanced with the most up to date options and features. It can sync across multiple clients but requires a more complex mySQL based backend.

If you need to support multiple clients across multiple platforms Plex is best suited. It will handle all the transcoding needed for each platform. Also it makes sharing content to other users really easy as well.

Kodi/Chromebox

Fire TV and Plex

Plex through the PS4

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went ahead and just bought a Chromebox from a forum member. It saved me some money and was basically ready to go, so I'm good with that. I think that's the solution I really wanted to go with, it was just a matter of paying extra to get that or go with a cheaper option. Buying it used here solved that problem!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts