AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for me to move up from a 42" Mitz HDRPTV. I've had it for two years now and I've been trying to decide which way to go. The Mitz is in an amoire and I would have to cut it up to get a bigger display to fit and of course that won't work with the wife :) I really want that BIG theater experience and after reading all day on this forum and looking at my setup, I've decided that is the way to go. I'm a newbie to PJ so please bear with me, I'm a fast learner. Anyhow I have two couches facing the set now, which is where I would have to put a screen. The first couch has a viewing distance of 10', while the second has a viewing distance of 15'. Of course I have it raised to have stadium seating. A coffee table is in front of the first couch where a projector could be placed from 6'-7' feet from the screen, which I believe you call the "throw distance". How large of a picture would that get me? I really only watch DVD's and HD on my current set. Now on to the PJ questions. My budget can go up to $2500 or so. I've read about many of the budget PJ's from the Infocus 4805 to the Optoma H27 which give you alot of bang for the buck, but alas are not 1280x720. So how about a short list of 5 or so PJs, given my budget to look at? Thanks for your time with a newcomer to PJ. Blasst

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A good place to start to get an idea of what might and might not work in your setup is Projector Central it should help you decide on some projectors that are in your price range and can be work for your situation. After finding a few projectors there, come back here and we should be able to help you better narrow down your choices.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
You can't put the projector in front of the first couch and get any decent kind of screen size, even with a short throw unit. With the first row at 10' from the screen, you should be looking at a 92" to 96" diagonal screen. This requires that the projector be around 12' from the screen. At 6', the best you could do would be a 62" diagonal screen, that's RPTV sized.

It sounds like you need to figure out how to put the projector between the two rows of seating. If you want two rows of seats, you will probably have to go with a ceiling mounted PJ.

Keven is right, you need to look at projector central, pick a projector and then go to their projection calculator to see how far back the projector has to be for various screen sizes.

Your first row should be at least 1.4x screen width from the screen (some PJs require more distance). You need to do a lot of thread reading too.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Follow Claus and Kevins advice. In order to ger a good FP HT experience you will need a ceiling mount for decent screen size. Fortunately your budget allows for Hi-Def, so you need to research all the possibilities. When your eyes dry out and burn from reading web sites & threads, come back for specific questions.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys Kevin, Claus, and Jeff. My eyes are already worn out Jeff : :D Anyhow I can move the first couch out of the way if I have too, or put the projector on the back couch. Both are very long so I'll only lose one spot for sitting. I have a very high vaulted ceiling and would only mount it there as a last resort. With the new throw distance of 11' to 14' or so, I should be able to improve on the size as you guys have mentioned. I've looked at the projection calculator. For High Def LCD, DLP, can you give me a few to look at in my price range of $2500 or so......can go more if it is worth it. Blasst

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Blaast. Could you place your pj on a shelf on the back wall? PJs have cooling fans and having your pj on or very near your back couch would be distracting to anyone sitting there, IMO. As i'm sure you know, both LCD and DLP technolgies have advantages and disadvantages. Have you been able to see both types? Deciding on either LCD or DLP may help narrow down your search.

A quick glance thru Projector Central looks like the following may fill the bill:

BenQ 7700, 1280x720, DLP

Pan AE700, 1280x720, LCD

Sanyo Z3, 1280x720, LCD

InFocus X3, 1024x768, DLP

I like DLPs, that's what i have, altho it's like computers, once you buy one it's obsolete -- both technologies are getting better every day!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aces-n-eights: Thanks for the reply. After many more hours of reading I think my $2500 or so budget might just go up to $3500. The Sony HS51 has caught my attention :) I have one question? Other than the FAQ, is there a tutorial anywhere on this forum to help a newcomer to PJ understand setup, throw distance, does zoom degrade the picture, etc, etc? Do the projectors keep the same resolution while zooming in to fit your screen? The projector calculator doesn't tell you all of this. I've searched and could read all day. Maybe a basic tutorial for inept newcomers such as myself could be put together to cover this area of how the projector should really be set up in regards to the basics of how a projector works and what you need to know. Blasst

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Blasst, Check with the guys here at AVS that provide our forum. They will give you good recommendations as well as provide a good price on the makes they carry. You may be surprised at how far your budget will go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.