AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to thank all the forum members for providing enough information in their posts (past and present) for me to make a more informed decision on my first DVD recorder.

And, the winner is ........ Pioneer DVR-533H-S

My primary concern is transferring my laserdisc collection and hundreds of high quality S-VHS camera tapes for preservation, tv viewing, and computer editing.

Source equipment for these transfers will be:

Panasonic AG 1980P's

Pioneer CLD-D703 Laserdisc

JVC GR-SZ9 S-VHS-C camera

Panasonic PV-S445D S-VHS camera

No EP tapes around here, so I anticipate pretty good transfers. The Panasonic camera has that somewhat over saturated video that they are well known for, so I may test running it's tapes through my Panasonic WJ-AVE7 digital AV mixer and 'cool down' those tapes. I'll run some tests transferring directly from the original cameras, and then from the AG 1980's with their excellent Y/C separation and TBC.

Should keep me busy for the rest of this year, and maybe the next !!!!

In case you're wondering, the EPG issues were deemed meaningless to me. There's absolutely no OTA or Cable in this canyon, which is why I have a low two-digit Directv customer number.

Anyway, thanks again, and I'll probably hang around this forum as I catch up on the joys of making coasters that I can launch into the air to keep my shotgun skills honed to a keen edge :)

Paul

·
Registered
580 Posts
he he, got mine today and have set it up. Will play with it tonight. So far, I miss my Panny E100 because I mastered the controls etc. This one will take a little getting used to.

·
Registered
795 Posts
unwillyn, keep us up to date with how your project goes identifying any bumps in the road and the results of your tests particularly for setting selections you make for optimum recording. Some people think you shouldn't have to use all those parameter choices Pioneer makes available, but if a tweak here and there produces better results, then rock on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnycrest
unwillyn, keep us up to date with how your project goes identifying any bumps in the road and the results of your tests particularly for setting selections you make for optimum recording.
Sunnycrest,

I expect I'll uncover some interesting issues as I dig into this, and I'll be happy to share my frustration with others who like perching on the 'bleeding edge" of a new technology !

I've delayed this project until I felt the hardware was over it's initial birth pangs. Seems that may not quite be the case yet, but I'm in the mood for something new to sink my teeth into, and it was either DVD recorders or nude hang gliding.

We'll see if I made the right decision .....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.