AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After three years of daily use, my Hitachi 42HDX99 has become increasingly unreliable. Rather than replace the boards that are giving me trouble, I've decided it's time to upgrade (or think about upgrading).

Hitachi does not seem to sell plasmas in the USA anymore. I don't think in Canada either (can someone confirm this).

Ideally, I'd like to replace it with another "top-of-the-line" model from Hitachi. I've had Hitachi Ultravisions for my past 3 TV's. I do not want an LCD, so I think I am stuck going with Panasonic or Pioneer (doesn't one make the other now, anyways?)

At any rate, what's the best offering available right now for 42" or 50" under $2k? ("street" price, not MSRP) So far I'm leaning towards the 50G10 Panny, but the comments regarding poor performance over time (black level and THX mode) put me off a bit.

Maybe I should just wait for a refurbed Directors Series to pop up from Hitachi. Currently, their is only one old model available from them.

I'd appreciate your input. My uses are HD cable, Xbox 360, DVD, and Blu-Ray (in order of usage time).

·
Registered
101 Posts
I came across this website that has several Hitachi models for sale still.
http://salestores.com/hitach71.html

I started a thread about this website because of the odd and diverse collection of plasmas they have. However, I have not ordered from them before, so I would research them 1st if you decide to place an order.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'd recommend going with one of the other brands. There seem to be a ton of refurb Hitachi's that come up, whereas the other brands there's relatively few. Go with Panasonic, Samsung, or Pioneer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Also, I myself am holding out for the new LG 50PK750 model, but Sears has a good closeout price today on a Panasonic 54" G10 for just a hair under $1350.00. I am even tempted by this.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamfitter /forum/post/18177685

WOW..... 3 years of service out of a "top of the line" hatachi product???? and your actually considering another???? lol

It still works, just needed somecleaning. I estimate that it has over 10,000 hours of use from me, and I purchased it for $1200.

I just read cnets review for the TC-P50V10, the note that features AVS Forum is pretty neat. They withdrew their editor's choice award, and recommend not buying it.

Maybe I should just go for a Kuro, or wait for something better (or Panasonic to fix the V10's problem).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts