AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pioneer/Onkyo SC-1223> VSX-516?? Is it time yet?

X2100, NR626, or SC-1223?

P363 fronts, Polk Tsx110B front highs and ES250P for Sub along with crapp Sherwood center.

Movies TV 60%, music 40%.

Have currently VSX-516 so was just looking for a step up with only $300 to work with.

Also don't/won't need 4K 60P etc, just basic HDMI compliance will suffice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So it's unanimous it appears. My 516 shall be the winner when compared to new AVR's, well good to know it was a good investment 10 years ago. :cool:

I decided why not, At least will change the fact my TV is my source selector option hahaha

The SC-1223 while a couple years old keep decent enough compliance's that for my use will work fine. I'll only do 4k for my PC for a good few years. I think sticking in the ~300 range the 1223 compared to Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha, thought I was going to move away from Pioneer but am interested in their D3.

Will find out soon enough.

Edit: Well it's here, guess I'll see how it does.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I'll have to admit I am liking the SC-1223. I knew that this years models will be coming but I just didn't see me really needing what they would be offering and get the sound I am thinking I want in this rabbit hole.

So I did toss my current center channel speaker out as it woefully under performed, it was just an old early Sherwood SP-200 center. For now went with the decently priced Polk CS-10, hoping that will balance the sound stage a bit. It gets pretty loud and I kind of immediately knew it made my speakers outgrow my sub as well but I just got the sub so oh well, should have went with SVS SB-1000 I guess, but the JBL was so cheap, and it still keeps up very well at lower volume.

Getting through initial setup was a bit different for me as I'm not versed in all the automated calibration options found on all these new ones and I never did use the 516's oddly enough. It doesn't seem I can adjust some of the more basic manual settings but I may not have dug deep enough in the menus yet.

So far though I will have to say for the mid to high ~$300 range the SC-1223 seems to be a good bang for you buck scenario. The sound difference is noticeable as well, even the wife mention how she could understand dialog better, which it does, just a bit more clarity and crispness. I did learn that in order to run my Fire stick though with no issue I did have to turn V.conv to off, I was losing sound otherwise and HDMI would drop and come back.

Other than that all I had to do was reset the unit and learn a bit about MCACC. Since about a year ago when I ditched my old cumbersome 12" loudspeakers I think for now I am actually a tidbit satisfied with my sound.

The unit does still tend to warm up a bit but I can't say I blame it since I have it in a HT nook 3 sided, one thing I did like about the 516 was it's active cooling. I'll prob run a small 120mm fan inside if I feel it's going to be a worry.

Just thought I'd toss out a newbs experience with a smallish budget AVR. Saw there was a thread for the SC-1223 but doesn't seem to be frequented much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts