AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after months of thought, measuring, shopping, searching and research I now have custom quality "real wood" CD cabinets. (I even stopped in here with inquiries)

Not having the facilities or where with all to build my own, I thought I was going to be forced into paying $400+ for a particle board CD cabinet at the capacity I needed. I did not relish the idea of laying out that kind of money for RTA crap. I've also owned enough of that RTA stuff to have formed a bitter taste in my mouth for it.

I had also gone to the place that built my Entertainment center, but they wanted $1700+ for something 1/4 of the size of my center and extremely simple. $1700 for a CD cabinet (essentially a shallow bookcase with glass doors), I think not.

Then someone made the suggestion of finding a cabinet maker who would be willing to do it. So I started looking and found one. His name is Randy and his company is CC Fine Furniture. This guy is a master woodworker and no job is too small or big. He builds everything himself and his stuff is top quality. I told him that I just wanted a simple shallow bookcase-like unit with glass doors and black to match my entertainment center. Then he asked me to draw it up, that's the block wall for me, I can't draw anything. He then told me to send him pictures of my entertainment center with a written description of what I wanted, so I did. I only wanted something simple, but this guy came up with "Obelisk CD cabinets"!! He saw many Egyptian items in the room including one of my DVD cabinets I fabricated from Ikea stuff. So he said let's make something to go with the theme. This guy is either crazy or really good. Well, it turned out to be the challenge of the decade. He even had a math professor come in to double check angles and everything.

He then offered to save me a ton of money and teach me something valuable at the same time. He taught me how to finish the cabinets properly! The whole thing was only double the cost of one of those particle board jobs! I feel I got much more value than that.

I have to credit Randy with the original idea of doing these and the building of the structures. We worked on design together and the finishing I did all by myself after my lessons. (The finishing alone took 2 weeks of 4 to 5 hours everyday).

They are made from Russian Birch by the way.

Anyway, my cabinets are now nicely featured on his website so you can see them there as well: http://www.ccfinefurniture.com/custom.html

He is located in Anaheim, CA for those of you in the area who might be interested.

I'll now post some pics here. Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple more pics:

Yes, I had glass cut for doors and did all the mounting myself. Also notice that the doors butterfly open which is very unusual. Yes, I also did the lighting. The lighting is cool. It's LED and is remote control with all kinds of colors and tricks you can do. Also fully customizable.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/19649668

Those look great. Did you go to a glasshouse and get dimensions cut or have someone else install those panels?

Yes, I had a template and took it to a glass place and they cut the doors, then I installed.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
When you bought your hinges, do they make any that you can set in like normal but result in the glass panel being flush with the outside wall/enclosure etc? Not sure if I know how to explain it other than wanting my glass to be flush with my wall...

I'm going to try and find some hinges like that for my AV rack enclosure...obviously you have to have the hinges set in the bottom and top so far in they are anchored....

I like those though! Great idea to let them blend into their surroundings.....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/19649706

When you bought your hinges, do they make any that you can set in like normal but result in the glass panel being flush with the outside wall/enclosure etc? Not sure if I know how to explain it other than wanting my glass to be flush with my wall...

I'm going to try and find some hinges like that for my AV rack enclosure...obviously you have to have the hinges set in the bottom and top so far in they are anchored....

I like those though! Great idea to let them blend into their surroundings.....

Yes, do you remember the type of hinges that used to be on those stereo cabinets in the late 70s with the glass doors? I forget what the exact name of them are, but you can still get those although they are hard to find. It took some looking, but I found them They are basically channels that hold the glass with set screws and you just put the metal plates on the glass where it goes into the channel and then you adjust the glass by sliding it until you have it where you like, then tighten the screws to hold it.

Here's where I got mine:
http://www.cdmcabinethardware.com/ac...inges_361.html

·
Registered
151 Posts
I love it. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.
I have quite a bit invested in them. In fact, it's funny, the woodmaster whom I worked with said that you make it yours the moment you injure yourself on it at some point in the process causing just the tiniest spec of blood to be applied someplace on it. Well, we both now have ownership since we both had that happen during the project. Don't worry, no biggie mind you, just ironic. It was good for laughs.

No part of this was easy, but much was learned and I am very grateful he took the time to teach me, that's rare especially at his prices. He is very reasonable.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack /forum/post/19654605

Wow those are very nice! The finish turned out great. I don't see many that are hand finished in black that look that good. *thumbs up*

Thank you! That's quite a compliment considering it was my first finishing job I've ever done!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts