AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....I am finally considering the upgrade from 720p to 1080p. I currently have a Mitsubishi HC3000 DLP in an 18x12 dedicated theater with a 104 inch screen. I have been nothing but happy with the HC3000 but am tempted by the opportunity to upgrade to the HC6500 LCD and 1080p which I can get at a great price at BB with three years interest free financing plus a rebate from Mitsubishi. If I sell my HC3000 (less than 500 bulb hours), my net cost to upgrade will be very reasonable - probably not much more than $1000.

Just looking for some thoughts from this knowledable group. Any reason NOT to make the move? My biggest concern is probably the move from DLP to LCD.

Thanks for the feedback - I need to make a decision by tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojos960 /forum/post/15414711

Ok....I am finally considering the upgrade from 720p to 1080p. I currently have a Mitsubishi HC3000 DLP in an 18x12 dedicated theater with a 104 inch screen. I have been nothing but happy with the HC3000 but am tempted by the opportunity to upgrade to the HC6500 LCD and 1080p which I can get at a great price at BB with three years interest free financing plus a rebate from Mitsubishi. If I sell my HC3000 (less than 500 bulb hours), my net cost to upgrade will be very reasonable - probably not much more than $1000.

Just looking for some thoughts from this knowledable group. Any reason NOT to make the move? My biggest concern is probably the move from DLP to LCD.

Thanks for the feedback - I need to make a decision by tomorrow.

I also have an HC3000 plus a Marantz VP15S1. Both are DLP projectors. Both are terrific projectors. If you browse around the AVS forum you will discover moving from a DLP projector to an LCD projector can be disappointing due to lack of intensity, sharpness, and "pop" from an LCD projector. If you can manage a trial period for the HC6500 go for it otherwise you may be taking a chance at being disappointed.

·
Registered
16,924 Posts
Having owned an HC3000 for a couple years and recently seeing the Mitsu 6500 I would say that unless you need the added resolution you are not getting a huge leap in performance . The 6500 image is somewhat flat compared to the HC3000 IMO ( which is fairly common for a DLP/LCD comparison ) . The 6500 is a nice unit however and does deliver a good image , just don't set your expectations too high and you should be happy if you make the swap

- Jason

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
^ Amen, bro

I'm a VP4001 owner and after helping my friend set up his new AE2000 several months ago, I was surprised to find that apart from better or rather no SDE, my VP4001 still throws a better image (better blacks, overall sharpness and more 3d pop) than the AE2000. Of course, I didn't say anything to my friend though as that's his first PJ.

At one point, I was about to bite the 1080p upgrade bug but then one night while watching a BR movie, I asked myself apart from more pixels, can I justify spending another $2k on a LCD based PJ and deal with dust blobs, lag, convergence, banding and such issues and less long term reliability than DLP's. Now I'm hanging onto my VP4001 till it dies or the bulb blows.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/15415204

The 6500 image is somewhat flat compared to the HC3000 IMO ( which is fairly common for a DLP/LCD comparison ) . The 6500 is a nice unit however and does deliver a good image , just don't set your expectations too high

hehe, ok I guess I'll keep my HC3100 a little longer then(just got a new lamp exchanged under warranty so the PQ is awesome
)

hopefully some cheap 1080p DC4 will show up at the CES

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.