AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a six y/o Sony STR-DE925 receiver. It has 5.1, Dolby Digital, DTS and some form of THX and Pro Logic that I never use. As we are remodeling the house I have an excuse to upgrade the home theater. I am looking at getting a Pioneer or Phillips 42" HD plasma or LCD (w/HDMI), HDTV cable, and an upscaling or progressive scan DVD player.

My receiver only has the old RCA red/white audio and yellow video connectors, as well as optical connectors that I've never used. No component connections. I'd like to move up to an HDMI equipped receiver, but cannot justify spending the multiple thousands for it on top of the TV and DVD expenses. At the same time, I'd hate to spend $400-$600 on a component connection equipped receiver just to upgrade again when HDMI prices come down.

Can I get solid HD performance by connecting the video feed directly from the DVD player and cable box to the TV (HDMI or component) and the audio to the receiver via the RCA or optical connectors?

Other info: 70% of the receiver use is for HT and the rest for music. Second round upgrade will be Orb Audio Mod2's speakers with a Sunfire sub.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1001
Can I get solid HD performance by connecting the video feed directly from the DVD player and cable box to the TV (HDMI or component) and the audio to the receiver via the RCA or optical connectors?
Since HDMI receivers are relatively new/expensive, that's what most people are doing now anyway. Assuming you're ok with the sound, I'd keep the receiver and spend the $$ on speakers. And, use optical or digital coax connections when possible if you want 5.1 sound. I'd recommend upgrading only if you: 1) hated the sound/features of your current receiver; 2) couldn't live without 7.1 (for PLIIx, DD EX, etc); 3) wanted SACD/DVD-audio (assuming your current receiver wasn't capable of playing these; you cared for hi-res music; and your CD/DVD player was cable of SACD/DVD-audio). $.02.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1001
I have a six y/o Sony STR-DE925 receiver. It has 5.1, Dolby Digital, DTS and some form of THX and Pro Logic that I never use. As we are remodeling the house I have an excuse to upgrade the home theater. I am looking at getting a Pioneer or Phillips 42" HD plasma or LCD (w/HDMI), HDTV cable, and an upscaling or progressive scan DVD player.

My receiver only has the old RCA red/white audio and yellow video connectors, as well as optical connectors that I've never used. No component connections. I'd like to move up to an HDMI equipped receiver, but cannot justify spending the multiple thousands for it on top of the TV and DVD expenses. At the same time, I'd hate to spend $400-$600 on a component connection equipped receiver just to upgrade again when HDMI prices come down.

Other info: 70% of the receiver use is for HT and the rest for music. Second round upgrade will be Orb Audio Mod2's speakers with a Sunfire sub.
I'd keep the Sony for now. With HDMI switching receivers being relatively new and since you have something that should work decently, IMO it'd be better to hold off on upgrading the receiver just yet. Get some good speakers first, then give yourself time to upgrade to a kickbutt receiver, rather than being an early adopter and paying a premium for it.

Just make sure you use digital inputs whenever possible (e.g. optical or digital coax) for the best sound. RCAs won't pass digital sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.