AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks - somewhat resurrecting my profile here, but I'm looking to upgrade. I currently have a Denon AVR-887 receiver. We just recently got carpeting and being my current room configuration, my wife forced me to dismantle my rear Advent speakers. So I have the two Paradigm Studio 20 on stands, Polk Audio CS1 center and Velodyne DPS-10 sub. PS3 as my blu-ray player. Just a few questions because my research yielded very little answers. My budget is probably no more than $500 - $550 max. thanks!

1. I am looking at either a Pioneer Elite SC-40/50, Marantz SR5005/SR6005 or a Pioneer vsx-821/921-k receiver. Keeping in mind with my 3.1 setup and current Denon receiver (lacking all of today's true high-def sound modes; TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc.) - would I notice any significant differences in sound quality; mainly for movies, gaming and very occasionally music?

2. I notice a lot of entry-level high-end brand/series receivers have either 80wpc - 85wpc; whereas my current Denon is 100wpc. Would I need to get a pre-amp to drive any of my speakers?

Thank you very, very much for anyone who answers.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
First things the AVR is THE pre-amp, so no pre-amp needed. What you would/should be looking into if its needed in the future would be an amp. Doubtful though that it would be of use with your current set-up. The AVR should drive those speakers easily. As for an AVR in that price range one of the ones I would seriously consider would be the Yamaha 867 or one of the Aventage A700/800 from Yamaha also. The 867 is a networking AVR with pre-outs and analogs in for use for future upgrades if you should decide you would like to try that. Check for the best price available with google. Newegg does put these on sale on weekends if they have any left. Haven't checked in a while. Another thing I would definitely consider ASAP is a center speaker to match those Paradigms, Reference center as soon as you can afford one. It is IMO the most important of the front three. The Marantz 5005 would also be a good choice. I don't feel that any of the Pioneers are in the same category as either the 867 or the 5005/6005. JMHO. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52
First things the AVR is THE pre-amp, so no pre-amp needed. What you would/should be looking into if its needed in the future would be an amp. Doubtful though that it would be of use with your current set-up. The AVR should drive those speakers easily. As for an AVR in that price range one of the ones I would seriously consider would be the Yamaha 867 or one of the Aventage A700/800 from Yamaha also. The 867 is a networking AVR with pre-outs and analogs in for use for future upgrades if you should decide you would like to try that. Check for the best price available with google. Newegg does put these on sale on weekends if they have any left. Haven't checked in a while. Another thing I would definitely consider ASAP is a center speaker to match those Paradigms, Reference center as soon as you can afford one. It is IMO the most important of the front three. The Marantz 5005 would also be a good choice. I don't feel that any of the Pioneers are in the same category as either the 867 or the 5005/6005. JMHO. Good luck and enjoy.

Thank you for your quick response phantom! I will indeed take a look at those suggestions, compare, contrast and see what fits my needs. I've also decided to somewhat maybe go a little more - and look at something like a Denon AVR-2112CI @ $649 and AVR-1912 @ $549. Amazon has them at reasonable prices. I'm leaving all options on the table

EDIT: You know I was looking at a replacement center channel speaker - but the prices on Paradigm's centers are outrageous lol. I got the Paradigm Studio 20s' free from my father. If we take this into consideration - are you saying I would probably notice a more reasonable boost in sound quality going for a matching Paradigm Reference center channel speaker; as opposed to upgrading my receiver first to obtain TrueHD/DTS-HD, etc.?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I've done a little more researching and digging around. A few things, and I brought the following question in mind. Considering that currently I'm running a 3.1 setup (two surround speakers had to be disconnected due to new carpeting) would upgrading my receiver actually make any difference right now? Or would I benefit more greatly by upgrading my center channel speaker to a Paradigm reference center channel?

I came across and almost came close to buying the Onkyo TX-NR609 for $399 on sale at Amazon. I also have a $40 gift credit to Amazon so $359.99 is quite a deal. It has TrueHD/DTS-HD, THX Certified, 2 subwoofer inputs, and uses the new Marvell 4K upscaler. The only thing is - it uses the Audessey 2EQ, not the MultiEQ. I know the 2EQ doesn't configure the subwoofer. Would I have any issue setting this thing up using Audessey with a 3.1 setup?

So I'm in the middle here - purchase a new center channel speaker, or future proof myself and buy a nice receiver which has gotten rave reviews? Decisions...decisions..

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
When considering Denon AVRs, you can generally get at least a 20% discount off MSRP by "calling" one of several authorized resellers to include Electronics Expo and AV Science as well. Although Audyssey will work just as well with a 3.1 setup, you could also consider a wireless package to use your side surround speakers again. Also, upgrading your center speaker first would be your best solution as you can get decoded HD audio from Blu Ray DVDs simply by having the BDP decode it and send it as PCM over HDMI to the 887.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/20808061

When considering Denon AVRs, you can generally get at least a 20% discount off MSRP by "calling" one of several authorized resellers to include Electronics Expo and AV Science as well.

Yea, I hear ya. It just stinks because I live in the middle of nowhere and cannot go out anywhere to listen to any of these

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
I'll say that upgrading that center speaker should be the first thing to do. As for an AVR look into the Yamaha 867, should serve you well. Upgradable to add an amp in the future should you want to try that. Analog inputs, networking, and other good features. Will work well with those Reference speakers. YPAO in this AVR does not calibrate the sub. However that should be easy enough to do yourself. Check out Newegg on weekends for the best deal on one of the 867's if they have any left. Another option is one of the Marantz units (5005) are real bargains at this time. But if it were me I would spend my money first on that reference center and keep your current AVR in use until I could get the AVR I really want. It should work quite well and the biggest difference maker IMO is that center speaker. More so than the new codecs. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just an update - I went ahead, bit the bullet and bought the Onkyo TX-NR609. The features, performance and what you get for a sale price of $399 is just to hard to let go of. Hopefully it arrives tomorrow or Monday, I will report back with how it sounds.
Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20808179

I'll say that upgrading that center speaker should be the first thing to do. As for an AVR look into the Yamaha 867, should serve you well. Upgradable to add an amp in the future should you want to try that. Analog inputs, networking, and other good features. Will work well with those Reference speakers. YPAO in this AVR does not calibrate the sub. However that should be easy enough to do yourself. Check out Newegg on weekends for the best deal on one of the 867's if they have any left. Another option is one of the Marantz units (5005) are real bargains at this time. But if it were me I would spend my money first on that reference center and keep your current AVR in use until I could get the AVR I really want. It should work quite well and the biggest difference maker IMO is that center speaker. More so than the new codecs. Good luck and enjoy.

I would definitely do that, however I am not quite sure how long I would be keeping my Paradigm's. I wouldn't want to spend a few hundred dollars getting a center channel speaker for me in a year or two to upgrade my whole speaker set. My father got a set of Def Techs and they blew my mind; even surpassing that of my Paradigm's. Don't get me wrong I love the Paradigm's, but I may soon have to part with them especially once I move to our new house.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombatommy /forum/post/20808189

I would definitely do that, however I am not quite sure how long I would be keeping my Paradigm's. I wouldn't want to spend a few hundred dollars getting a center channel speaker for me in a year or two to upgrade my whole speaker set. My father got a set of Def Techs and they blew my mind; even surpassing that of my Paradigm's. Don't get me wrong I love the Paradigm's, but I may soon have to part with them especially once I move to our new house.

Then I would wait until the move is made to decide on anything. Especially for the purchase of the AVR. If the Deftechs are the ones you may go to get a good AVR to match. Also you may want to audition some Ascend Acoutics Sierra 1 in your new domain. These are also very impressive. A set of those along with the Rythmic subs at their website is an impressive package. Go to that website and build a package you may like to try. Awesome setups for the money IMO. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20808220

Then I would wait until the move is made to decide on anything. Especially for the purchase of the AVR. If the Deftechs are the ones you may go to get a good AVR to match. Also you may want to audition some Ascend Acoutics Sierra 1 in your new domain. These are also very impressive. A set of those along with the Rythmic subs at their website is an impressive package. Go to that website and build a package you may like to try. Awesome setups for the money IMO. Good luck and enjoy.

I heard some pretty good things about the Ascend Acoustics Sierra's. Once I move I'll be more closer to civilization and I already know of two local speaker dealers I can contact. Thanks for your help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.