AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the upgrade bug has bitten me once again, and now it is time to get new speakers for my 2-Channel music system. Right now I am using PSB T45's that came from my HT system, which is now using what were the rears (B25's) as mains, and for rears a new pair of B15's was added.

Well, even though I like the B25's very much, I miss the T45's as mains in the HT system. So, I will be returning the T45's to the family room, and the B25's will be given to my sister, who wants to put together a decent HT system in her family room (9' x 12' open layout).

So, now I need recommendations on main speaker (bookshelves or towers) for my music system, and recommendations for rears for my sister HT system.

1. Because my music system is anchored by a Heathkit SA-2 Integrated Tube Amp, I need highly efficient speakers (90dB minimum).

2. My main speakers must be kept at $800.00 to $1K, and they have to be new. If you are going to post a statement like: "If you up your budget you can buy..." Then you are not paying attention.

3. Again, they can be bookshelf or tower designs.

4. My sister's family room is rectangular, covers an area of aprox. 9' Wide x 12' Long and it only has a frontwall, and a left sidewall. To the right side there is the kichen area, and to the back it is open to the dining room and living room. Between the kitchen area and the family room there is the kitchen counter, and between the family room and the dining room there is the family room sitting area sofa (L-shapped runs along the sidewall and between family/dining rooms). Therefore, the surround speakers have to be ceiling mounted with brackets (in-ceiling is not an option, as it is concrete).

5. For the rears what speakers would you recommend that are no more than $250.00/pair? They have to be aesthetically pleasant. Maybe Monitor Audio Radius 45 or 90?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mayhem,

Thanks, but I believe you are going with the flow, as lots of people here like to recommend the Sierra's just because they read they were good, when their are better options. I have heard the Sierra's they are a good buy at thier price point, but not very impressed. IMO they have done a great job marketing them and making them available for reviewers. Also, what you call a highly efficient speaker it is not at 87 dB. If you read my post you will notice that I clearly said 90dB+, and still 92 dB+ would be a better alternative. Might be efficient for solid state, but not for tubes.

Regarding your recommendations on rears, you hit the nail in the head, but just found out that SA has a sale on Monitor Audio Radius, and the Radius 45 is in the budget, has beautiful finishes, and I have auditioned them in the past and liked them for rears in a small area.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio /forum/post/15538377

Mayhem,

Thanks, but I believe you are going with the flow, as lots of people here like to recommend the Sierra's just because they read they were good, when their are better options. I have heard the Sierra's they are a good buy at thier price point, but not very impressed. IMO they have done a great job marketing them and making them available for reviewers. Also, what you call a highly efficient speaker it is not at 87 dB. If you read my post you will notice that I clearly said 90dB+, and still 92 dB+ would be a better alternative. Might be efficient for solid state, but not for tubes.

PR Audio, I think you too quickly dismiss the Sierra's as they are difficult to beat at the price you identify in your request for help. Perhaps you heard them in a poor room or setup. They are probably worth another listen, and this is coming from someone who did 2 entire months of research and auditioning before settling on the Sierra 1s. Understandably, if you feel that their sensitivity does not fit your setup, you're entitled to dismiss any suggestions. [edited by me for purposes of forum decorum]

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaplace /forum/post/15538450

PR Audio, I think you too quickly dismiss the Sierra's as they are difficult to beat at the price you identify in your request for help. Perhaps you heard them in a poor room or setup. They are probably worth another listen, and this is coming from someone who did 2 entire months of research and auditioning before settling on the Sierra 1s. Understandably, if you feel that their sensitivity does not fit your setup, you're entitled to dismiss any suggestions. Regardless, you should probably dial-down the obnoxious tone, as mayhem13 clearly "read your post", and was simply trying to be helpful in light of the myriad of options for your request above.

1. Dismissed because right from the start I can tell you they don't have the sensitivity I am looking for.

2. You are right, the room setup might not have been the best.

3. Against which ones you compared the Sierra 1's? Where they setup similarly?

4. Yes, they don't fit my setup.

5. I was thankful to Mayhem regarding the rear speakers suggestions. You can read the PM I sent you.

6. Personally, I like to read the post and stick with what the OP needs and requests. If I deviate from his request I usually explain why I am suggesting something else. Don't find my answer obnoxious, just different styles. No need to discuss any further, but Mayhem can feel free to PM me and in very politically correct terms I will explain to him why the Sierra is not the best choice for this case, and take time to teach him regarding the basic difference between tube amps and solid state amps, and why something that is a good product for one, might not be the best for the other.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I thought i read somewhere that the Sierra's were offered with a different XO and impedance flatening circuit. I believe it was on the Forums section. As a DIY builder, i suggested it because of the characteristics of the drivers used.....low distortion and low freq playback for the tweeter. I can offer you some DIY examples that easily fit your requirements if you're willing to do some work. IMO any commercial speaker with such high sensitivity is going to compromise fidelity at the price point.....something i believe you want to avoid. Achieving those levels of sensitivity will require 2 mid woofers, and in the commercial realm at the price point indicated from a profitability standpoint, it's not possible to offer a mid woofer with the level of fidelity you desire. One of the DIY systems that i've built and have enjoyed very much and meets your needs can be found here.

http://zaphaudio.com/Waveguidetmm.html

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15539214

I thought i read somewhere that the Sierra's were offered with a different XO and impedance flatening circuit. I believe it was on the Forums section. As a DIY builder, i suggested it because of the characteristics of the drivers used.....low distortion and low freq playback for the tweeter. I can offer you some DIY examples that easily fit your requirements if you're willing to do some work. IMO any commercial speaker with such high sensitivity is going to compromise fidelity at the price point.....something i believe you want to avoid. Achieving those levels of sensitivity will require 2 mid woofers, and in the commercial realm at the price point indicated from a profitability standpoint, it's not possible to offer a mid woofer with the level of fidelity you desire. One of the DIY systems that i've built and have enjoyed very much and meets your needs can be found here.

http://zaphaudio.com/Waveguidetmm.html

Now we are getting somewhere with documented info...Thanks, will check your suggestions.

I just ordered the necessary products to build my own high quality speaker cables (Vampire Wire 10AWG, conductive braid, shrink tubes, etc.). So, getting into DIY speakers might be fun, and I have all kind of tools that I inherited many years ago from my grandfather.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
PR....I heard the Monitor Audio RS6 today. I am not exactly sure of its price point, but believe it is right around the $1K mark....at least in the CONUS. Otherwise, I think it fits in your requirements and worth a listen.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I will suggest Axiomaudio M60s or M22s, I know they are 1 db below your 90db min, anehoic they are both 89db, but I thought I would mention them anyway, as I know a number of people on Axiom's forum run tube amps with them and seem to love them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts