AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been running a HTPC since the Win XP days. The current model is a E8400 processor, with a gefroec 9300 card. Running win 7 x64. Its been running pretty much untouched for a few years. Running Win 7 WMC with MCP-HC using media browser, also records cable with a cable card.

I pulled the case out to clean it yesterday and now it wont boot from the SSD. Hopefully its a easy fix. Didnt get to look at it much.

If it not a simple fix should I look at upgrading anything? For the most part its able to do what I want. It took a hell of a long time to get it set up to play everything. Hoping if I have to reload windows there are easier ways to make it work now?

Is there better front end software?
How about win 8? Any point in upgrading?
Anything else the people are adding to their HTPC now a days?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
My guess would be that the drive isn't connected properly to the motherboard.

If you were going to upgrade, you're probably going to be stuck buying a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM - basically a whole new computer. There's just not much benefit to mine from a new video card with that CPU, and the RAM is probably too old to do much with.

But if you did upgrade those three items you would not need a video card and would likely get snappier performance. If you compress movies a new Intel CPU with Quicksync would speed that up even more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I guess I'm looking more if input on the software wised of things. Mine was current about 3-4 years ago. Not sure whats the best software right now. I know this took me forever to get dialed in.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Thanks. I guess I'm looking more if input on the software wised of things. Mine was current about 3-4 years ago. Not sure whats the best software right now. I know this took me forever to get dialed in.
If it makes you feel better, after auditioning a few front-ends, I decided to stick with WMC. If you thought configuring WMC is alot, God mercy on your soul try to configuring the others.

BTW, anybody knows where WMC keeps its configuration files so I can just save and restore? am hopping WMC doesn't save its stuff in ewwww registry.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Personally, I don't plan on upgrading my 1st gen i3-530 with Nvidia GT-430 until I hop on the 4k bandwagon. No real reason to upgrade for 1080p duties.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
If it makes you feel better, after auditioning a few front-ends, I decided to stick with WMC. If you thought configuring WMC is alot, God mercy on your soul try to configuring the others.

BTW, anybody knows where WMC keeps its configuration files so I can just save and restore? am hopping WMC doesn't save its stuff in ewwww registry.
You could check out MCE Reset Toolbox and see if it makes backups of what you are looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ya I tried Media portal for a while many years ago. Could never get it to do everything I wanted.

·
Registered
959 Posts

All depending on who you talk to of course but, MOST people will agree, Windows Media Center is the best and easiest to use, There are other products but, much harder to set up and loaded with so much stuff that they can be hard to navigate.

Right now, if you have premium channels, your only choice is WMC...

Windows 8 offers NO changes in WMC, in fact they removed some features (Always on top and Start WMC with windows) and some compatibility issues with some Extenders.

If you have Windows 7, there is NO advantage to go to Windows 8 for a Home theater PC.

Stick with 7, your not missing anything...

C:\Windows\ehome
C:\Program Data\Microsoft\ehome

and registry :)

Your main DB files are in the Program data but, if your recording cablecard stuff, just do a clone of the C: drive, if you try to do what your thinking, you WILL break DRM and some of your shows might not play back.

I do a basic install on the C: drive with NO CONTENT, everything else is on other drives, I have a scheduled weekly backup of the C: drive, it's about 30gb total used (on a 90gb SSD), with compression it comes to about 11gb for a backup...

It's your best bet anyway, if Windows fails, just restore the OS drive and call it a day...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts