AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd have yet to void my warranty, and I'm getting pretty anxious. I like the idea of the switch that will turn on the fan once it reaches a certain temperature. What is the specific name for this device? I also want to install a fan. What size fan can I put in there? Also, is there a certain brand of fan I should look for? Obviously, noise is a concern, so I think that means I want a ball bearing fan. And as far as powering a fan, I should just be able to go to radio shack and ask one of the knowledgeable employees for a Y-cable and that should be all I need.

I’m debating between 2 80GB hard drives or 1 100GB hard drive. Has anyone gotten 2 100GB hard drives to work?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've gotten 1 100Gb (7200rpm) working fine. 2- 100Gb drives should also work.

I installed a Panaflo 92mm fan. It works very well but blows so much air out that it is somewhat noisy. I also would be interested in knowing about the thermostat switch. How much $$. How to hook it up?

Greg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
I installed a Panaflo 92mm fan. It works very well but blows so much air out that it is somewhat noisy.
You can cut the fan speed by wiring a resistor to one of the leads. 2 or 3 Ohms would probably be sufficient. You'll have to check your fan specs to see what power rating you'd need. Secure it somewhere within the fan draft so the heat is dissipated. I've done this with computer fans and it works great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Heyl
You can cut the fan speed by wiring a resistor to one of the leads. 2 or 3 Ohms would probably be sufficient. You'll have to check your fan specs to see what power rating you'd need. Secure it somewhere within the fan draft so the heat is dissipated. I've done this with computer fans and it works great.
The other thing that you can do is to run the fan at 7V by changing the wiring so that the 5V is used instead of the ground for the fan. Directron sells the adapters here , or you could wire it yourself. I'm going to go the do-it-yourself route when my Panaflo fans come in.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shutrbug

The other thing that you can do is to run the fan at 7V by changing the wiring so that the 5V is used instead of the ground for the fan. Directron sells the adapters here , or you could wire it yourself. I'm going to go the do-it-yourself route when my Panaflo fans come in.
I did that for a while until some of the engineer types on this forum warned that that could be a very dangerous idea (something about the internal workings of the power supply and the fact that, if the 5v and 12v supply aren't linked in a certain way internally, tapping into both of them to take the difference can create a fire hazard). But you can certainly tap into the 5v directly (5v and ground), although you may find that the fan slows down too much and doesn't give you as much power as you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.