AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! I was browsing the Scientific Atlanta website looking for information on the 3100hd model, and what do I find? On there site it states that there box only outputs a 1080i scanrate. I can prove this. If you have a x1 when you turn from the different hd channel or even to a regular channel it says 1080i signal. So what does this mean? Well for instance, I wonder know what the heck 720p actually looks like. This means that everyone with this box has never seen Progressive HD. I don't really no how good either format looks. I thought I did. I am not sure what the feelings from the members of this forum are, but I will tell you that I am vexed. I mean why would they do this?

Quote:
The Explorer 3100HD does not have the capability to stretch or manipulate the video. It outputs all channels at a 1080i scan rate. So, standard-definition channels will be in a 4:3 mode with pillar bars on the sides. We have been working on new hardware that has several enhancements including the ability for you to stretch and zoom the video or change the scan rate - all controlled from the Explorer. Check with your cable provider shortly to find out about availability.
Am I wrong? Someone help me understand!:confused:

·
Registered
201 Posts
bthorn,

If you were expecting to view 720p on your TV then you bought the wrong type of TV. Your HDTV however can display 480p (from a PS DVD player). Very few (i.e. very expensive) CRT based TV's can display 720p. Either the STB or the TV must convert 720p to 1080i. Since most HD TV's are CRT's and not all of these can convert 720p to 1080i then it only makes sense that the STB output 1080i. The next version of the box will output both however.

Of course both 720p and 1080i are HD.

If you want to display 720p natively you would need an LCD, Plasma or DLP based HDTV.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So my friends Sony 57" he got recently doesnt display 720p? They just say that for fun huh? I mean is HDTV a marketing scam? So only some tvs do all the hdtv formats? So no one has seen 720p on a crt rptv unless they are rich. Exuse my rudeness but im a newbie, and find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Quote:
and the digital output only works on hd channels
I didn't think the 3100HD had a video digital out.

But, yes, it is a very poor excuse for a high def box. Been trying to get TWC to switch to 3250, but if the FCC ever get off their butts, we should be able to buy third party boxes within a few months.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You understand that both 720p and 1080i are HD standards right?

Again, CRT based HDTV's (mostly) only display 1080i natively. Some will advertise that they accept 720p as an input but they must convert that to 1080i. They are however capable of both.

Fixed pixel displays (LCD, Plasma, DLP) can ONLY display 720p. They must convert 1080i to 720p (or have an external box do it). There may be exceptions to this but I don't know of them.

Do you also undestand that only ESPNHD and ABC broadcast 720p (Fox also next year). However CBS, NBC, PBS, WB, Showtime, HBO, DiscoveryHD, Indemand (2 channels ) broadcast 1080i. I've left some out. But the predominate HD broadcast standard is 1080i.

Now there is a raging debate as to which is better (720p or 1080i) but you really don't want to get into that yet.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
jpeter,

Thanks for the tip, but alas, I'm out of the Syracuse region. How do you like the 3250?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Prof, the differences I've noted between the 3100 and the 3250:

1. The 3100 had frequent audio dropouts and/or lip sync problems on the HD channels. The 3250 has been rock solid in this reqards.

2. All channels' (HD or not) audio is now output digitally via the coaxial digital out rather than analog. For me, I'm hearing fuller pro-logic sound from the non-Dolby Digital feeds.

3. Picture quality looks to be the same to my eyes.

4. Slightly quicker channel changes.

I think 1 and 4 can be attributed to the fact that the 3250 has more memory as I recall.

What do you detest about the 3100 box?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
How do I hate thee 3100HD box? Let me count the ways...

1. It runs very very hot.

2. Because it runs so hot after a while the heat just kills one or more of the chips and I've had to replace it twice which necessitates a service call, no service for at least a day, and sometimes a weekend, yanking it out of my system (which is not that easy),...

3. The channel lock is very slow.

4. It runs very very hot.

5. No audio digital outs.

6. It runs very very hot.

7. No DVI out.

8. It runs very very hot.

9. No scalable resolution, only 1080i.

10. It runs very very hot.

11. Lots and lots of digital noise (although this could just be the TWC signal).

12. It runs very very hot.

I mean this thing gives off more heat than my P50 plasma. I've had to have my HVAC man come and block the registers for that room and I live in northern New York -- we see -20 regularly!:D

I could go on, but these are just a few complaints off the top of my head.

Wow, I feel better now. Boy that was cathartic!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
True, I stand corrected. And I should know better, I have to have both the analog and digital audio outs hooked up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.