AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got time warner cable and got a HD DVR box however they are claiming that don't have any dual turner DVR boxes available. It's pretty lame that I have a DVR but am not able to watch 1 show and record another. Anyone else having this problem? I am in soCal

·
Registered
29,275 Posts
Haven't heard of that. TWC's "standard" DVR, across most of the nation, is the dual-tuner SA8300HD-DVR. Ask for that one specifically and for an explanation if they claim they don't have one. And this gets said so often: put your city location in your member info so that members can more readily help you. Southern California is a big place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zip code is 92870 Placentia, CA former Adelphia. For some reason they gave me a single tuner box. Which is ridiculous if you ask me. They claim they don't have any in stock to give me. I got the motorola 3000 series the single tuner they told me the 6000 series one i want is not in stock and they have a huge waiting list or some crap like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/0

Haven't heard of that. TWC's "standard" DVR, across most of the nation, is the dual-tuner SA8300HD-DVR. Ask for that one specifically and for an explanation if they claim they don't have one. And this gets said so often: put your city location in your member info so that members can more readily help you. Southern California is a big place.

·
Registered
29,275 Posts
I have heard of a few TWC outlets using the motorola DVR platform, but never one with a single tuner. That's a tough break, Dude, and really cheap of your local TWC. Guess you could always get a second one until such time a dual tuner model becomes available. I have two 8300's (4 tuners total) and sometimes that's not even enough.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0ject /forum/post/0

zip code is 92870 Placentia, CA former Adelphia. For some reason they gave me a single tuner box. Which is ridiculous if you ask me. They claim they don't have any in stock to give me. I got the motorola 3000 series the single tuner they told me the 6000 series one i want is not in stock and they have a huge waiting list or some crap like that.

You're stuck with whatever your cable company offers, and in your case it's not as good as other cable companies in other cities.

Comcast in West Los Angeles had their Motorola 6412 on backorder for a customer of mine for over 6 months until TWC took them over, then he finally got an SA8300HD when he called to cancel his service and told them he's switching to DirecTV.

If you don't want to wait, or don't want to rent two DVRs, you might consider buying your own Tivo Series 3 if your cable company offers Cablecards (and has them in stock).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm it takes me 30 minutes to get thru to an agent now too.. TWC is pretty much terrible. Adelphia use to give out the moxi box (dual tuner) and even with its bugs i still liked the box...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

You're stuck with whatever your cable company offers, and in your case it's not as good as other cable companies in other cities.

Comcast in West Los Angeles had their Motorola 6412 on backorder for a customer of mine for over 6 months until TWC took them over, then he finally got an SA8300HD when he called to cancel his service and told them he's switching to DirecTV.

If you don't want to wait, or don't want to rent two DVRs, you might consider buying your own Tivo Series 3 if your cable company offers Cablecards (and has them in stock).

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0ject /forum/post/0

Hmmm it takes me 30 minutes to get thru to an agent now too.. TWC is pretty much terrible. Adelphia use to give out the moxi box (dual tuner) and even with its bugs i still liked the box...

Actually TWC isn't all that bad - they've inherited Adelphia's equipment and wiring but will almost assuredly start upgrading the system to TWC standards like they're doing in other divisions where they take over other companies (like the West L.A. Comcast takeover).

But the bigger problem is once TWC brings your area into compliance, any DVR you get will have the so-far-reported-to-be-awful Navigator interface (see the big Navigator thread on this forum). I'm not waiting for this disaster to occur so that's why i bought the Tivo S3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pr0ject

You're not alone. I'm in Santa Monica, 90404 also with TWC and a former Adelphia area. When I moved in November they told me they were out of the current HD DVR box and gave me two of the old Moxi boxes. Yes, it's dual tuner, but I absolutely loathe the interface and the DVR seems to store about 10 hours worth of HD recording. They told me it would be about a month for replacement. Well, that was November.

Oh, and the kicker is I moved about two miles from an old Comcast area with decent hardware, but was forced to turn it all in and start over with the new account and received old junk. I overheard the installers joking it had been so long since they had installed these that they had thrown away their information cards. And one of the two boxes is defective.

It took me three aborted attempts and finally two hours on hold to talk to their customer support to get put on the waiting list, too.

All this great service for only $150 a month! Fantastic! I'm seriously considering a switch to satellite now.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think if you call and ***** they will give you the box you want... but personally I think i might be trading it all in and just getting dish network... They have those special deals out there... The best setup i think is to get Directv and split the account with some buddies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm leaning toward Dish as well. Waiting to see the deal they announced at CES last month show up on their website. I read some where the new offer is supposed to go into effect 2/1.

Sorry you're having similar troubles. I'm really disappointed and annoyed with how things have gone. I never had any serious interest in satellite providers, but after a few months of this mess I'm eager to jump ship. I might give TWC one chance to keep me, but it better be one sweet deal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It might be a bit of a long shot, but TWC may be waiting to buy the Pace Tahoe HD DVR and the Pace Vegas SD DVR which will work on Motorola and OCAP.

Pace already supply TWC with HD (no DVR) stb's to S/A systems. Pace can not make a DVR for S/A systems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Moto 6412 and I have had it for a while; had 4 break on me in the past 1.5 years. I hate everything about it. Now that TWC replaced Comcast here in LA, can I order the SA8300 to replace my Moto? Is it a different/better interface? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
A few days ago a TW tech service told me they will be replacing the Moxi BMC9012 with the Motorola DCT 6416 (160gb hd sata-2, fw port, sata-2 port, S3, etc). I asked what model is the new DVR and tech had to look it up, read off all the specs compared to the Moxi - this is changed, that is changed, this is added, this is bigger, this feature, that feature etc as I listed above-I can't remember every spec but it is easily searched out and said I am on the waiting list. Newer customers will be getting them first and certain areas will probably get them faster, but if requested you are placed on a list. Eventually, people who do not contact will be contacted for a swap. Said specifically Moxi's are being replaced with a non Moxi unit. This is in and around the LA area soon. Contradicting this was a field tech who said the Moxi's will be around for a while longer as the new units come it stock, which really is not contradicting what I was first told but that it will take some time. For what it's worth...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.