AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just switched to ...time warner cable...from directv.....i am familiar with the 399 dollar cable card.

But is there a TV Tuner card that will allow me to record non premium channels in High Definition... ABC...NBC...CBS....etc?

I realize i could do this with a over the air antenna .......but i live in a very rural area so this is not an option.

I cannot afford a 399 dollar cable card......but i would like to be able to use my HTPC as a DVR for some HiDef shows.

I see some tv tuners support ATSC / ClearQAM but will this work with cable tv?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Depends on whether your Cableco encrypts the QAM channels. In the USA, you should be able to get the local HD channels (the ones that most folks can get OTA) in clear QAM. The Hauppauge HDPVR is your only option for recording non clear QAM HD from a cableco or satco receiver. The bonus is that it will also record the premium channels

BB

·
Registered
202 Posts
Normally, yes. It all depends on what the cable company is sending in the clear. You can go to here http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/ and enter your zip code to give you an idea. If you plug your cable directly into your HDTV (assuming it has a QAM tuner), and bypass the set top box completely, do you get any HD channels? The local network channels? If so, then with any basic TV tuner card with clearQAM support, you'll be able to view and record those same channels. Comcast in my area transmits the local networks in the clear. But you need to verify that you are getting something in HD in the clear from Time Warner.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys........that link was very helpful

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
If you live in the middle of nowhere there is a small chance that the cable co doesn't encrypt ANY channels, all you would need is a QAM tuner

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
The Silicondust list isn't 100% accurate, but if it shows stuff, you can be reasonably comfortable that ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, and CW (and maybe a couple others) will be recordable in HD without a cablecard tuner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts