AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Time Warner Cable customer in Los Angeles and I have enjoyed the UI on my Moxi for a while now. The only complaint that I have had is that the fan can be very loud. Just today, the box got fried. It smells of smoke and won't power up. I am about to call to make an appointment to have a new box delivered. Should I be asking for another Moxi or is the other Motorola they are giving out any good? I heard it has more hard drive space. What is my best option?

I have a HDTV, capable of 1080p, and 5.1 Speakers.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3X /forum/post/14289850

I am a Time Warner Cable customer in Los Angeles and I have enjoyed the UI on my Moxi for a while now. The only complaint that I have had is that the fan can be very loud. Just today, the box got fried. It smells of smoke and won't power up. I am about to call to make an appointment to have a new box delivered. Should I be asking for another Moxi or is the other Motorola they are giving out any good? I heard it has more hard drive space. What is my best option?

I have a HDTV, capable of 1080p, and 5.1 Speakers.

Why are you making an appointment to have a box delivered? Why don't you go to the office with your burned up piece of crap and see if you can get a better piece of crap.

Seriously you should be able to walk that in yourself. And they can only give you what they use in your area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work at EA Games and I'm on overtime right now and I don't have time to stop by the office during business hours. I know they use some Motorola box and a Moxi in my area, so I am trying to find out what the best box in my area is.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3X /forum/post/14291029

I work at EA Games and I'm on overtime right now and I don't have time to stop by the office during business hours. I know they use some Motorola box and a Moxi in my area, so I am trying to find out what the best box in my area is.

The best box in your area to be truthfull is TiVo. Of course that will cost you money and time.

Unfortuanately I'm limited to only experience with TiVo and the SA 8300 so I can't speak on Motorola boxes. Like everything else on the internet all I ever read is bad things about them so I wouldn't know what to tell you. I do believe that they only hold 15 hours HD time.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If the "other box" they offer is a Motorola DC{T,H}-{3,6}4xx unit, I think it's safe to say you won't like it; it's got so many known problems it has an entire section on Wikibooks dedicated to it. You could try it for a few weeks and see how it works, but my money says you'll be sorely disappointed.

As hookbill mentioned, there's always TiVo HD. I for one love my TiVo (the Series3 box), so I don't think you'd regret getting one, though getting your cable provider to install the CableCARDs may or may not take some doing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo /forum/post/14292157

As hookbill mentioned, there's always TiVo HD. I for one love my TiVo (the Series3 box), so I don't think you'd regret getting one, though getting your cable provider to install the CableCARDs may or may not take some doing.

What would be the steps to have a TiVo HD hooked. After buying the unit, I will need someone from Time Warner to install the CableCARDs?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3X /forum/post/14298490

What would be the steps to have a TiVo HD hooked.

Just get the unit, set up your TiVo service subscription, let the unit update, and make sure you can receive basic (analog) cable with it. Once you have that, call up your cable company, and tell them you need CableCARDs; ask them to bring at least two, and ask that they bring M-Cards. They may or may not have M-Cards, but if they do, that'd be the preferable situation - then you'd only need one card, not two. (Better to have too many than not enough.) They'll schedule a time for the installation of the card or cards. Provide them with the installer directions sheet you'll receive in the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3X /forum/post/14298490

After buying the unit, I will need someone from Time Warner to install the CableCARDs?

They'll send a technician out, yes. They prefer to do it that way, even though strictly speaking, CableCARDs are *supposed* to be installable by the end user - many cable MSOs have a policy disallowing self-installs of the cards. However, once they get the card or cards installed, everything should just keep working - in the 9+ months at my current location, I've not had any card-related issues at all. Everything "just works", as it were.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts