AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the SE Michigan Comcast users getting HD from cable, I decided to visit Time Warner Cable - Detroit web site after a couple of months.

They used to have information about HDTV and they would say Digital Cable was a lot better then HDTV, since you didn't need to get a new tv and other things like that.

Well, they changed their web site and now, for the first time, they have information about beginning roll-out around the end of 2002! This is better than no information.

But, what really caught my attention is the part where they say they are already transmitting 3 channels in HDTV!! Channels 105-107, WTVS, CBS, and FOX respectively. Then they say people with the DTC2000 cable box couldn't get these 3 channels, which is obvious.

Then they say these 3 channels are being transmitted using 8VSB and could only be viewed with ATSC - compliant HDTV decoders. Here's a quote straight from the FAQ on their web site:

"Our current three channels - in their current HDTV modulation format (8 VSB) - can only be viewed with ATSC-compliant HDTV decoders which cost around $1,000 dollars in addition to most HDTV sets"

Well, I have a MyHD card and I have Road Runner through TWC. I disconected the cable from my cable modem and plug it to MyHD card. I tried 105-107 channels and got nothing. I used the scan functions and still couldn't find a single digital channel. Am I doing something wrong? Or TWC does not have these 3 digital channels?

So, has anyone notice this update on their web page? I couldn't find any threads about this. I would like to know if anyone from SE Michigan that live in an area where Comcast is not an option and is stuck with TWC like myself has anymore information on this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I called up the Time Warner office and was told that they would begin rolling out HD in SE MI during the first or second quarter of next year. She also told me that they only were getting 1000 boxes, but that they didn't anticipate initial demand to be that high. That was all the info that she could give me. She didn't seem to know much, just told me that they were "working on it."

I haven't tried those channels to see if anything comes in. I would think that the digital cable box would at least get the audio.

-Matt

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I'm trying to find out!

On their web site, they say they are transmitting 3 8VSB channels. So, if I connect an OTA tuner, I should be able to get those, right?

Well, I used MyHD card, which is a OTA tuner, and I couldn't get those channels.

I would like to know if other people are getting it. It should be easy to test.

I tested during prime time yesterday, when CBS had some HDTV program going on.

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds like mis-communication from TWC in your area (gee, can you imagine that?). Their copywriter probably meant that the 8VSB OTA signal requires an HD decoder. It really doesn't make any sense for them to send an OTA HD signal through cable since all of TWC is using QAM.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
OTA HD STBs can only tune the channels 2-69, so TWC would have to leave open 3 channels in the VHF/UHF band. Are there any missing channels below channel 69 on that cable system? Higher channels can't be tuned by the OTA HD STBs, so a cable-specific box would be needed for them regardless of the modulation method used, 8VSB or QAM. Most likely cable will always use QAM.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Assuming TWC is really sending out 8VSB on cable channels 105,106, and 107, you won't be able to get them with a standard ATSC tuner. Cable channel 105, 679.25 Mhz, is just BELOW UHF channel 49 (681.25 Mhz). Similarly, cable channel 106 is 2 Mhz belowUHF channel 50, and channel 107 is 2 Mhz below UHF channel 51. So.......unless you have an ATSC tuner with manual fine tuning (maybe some computer cards can do this), you won't get it. Hope this helps.

Brad

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm gonna quote their web site here:

"When will HDTV be available on the cable system?

In the foreseeable future. We are actively researching and testing HDTV signals and equipment. In fact, we already carry three HDTV channels on the system (Channels 105-107: WTVS, CBS, and FOX respectively). However, the current customer equipment - your DCT 2000 cable box - cannot decode these HDTV signals.

(Our current three channels - in their current HDTV modulation format (8 VSB) - can only be viewed with ATSC-compliant HDTV decoders which cost around $1,000 dollars in addition to most HDTV sets.)

There are numerous technical issues that we are sorting out in order for home users to view HDTV channels over cable. These issues relate to converting the HDTV signal from what our cable system receives into what we can send down our cable lines to customers. Next, customers will need new HDTV-compatible television sets, and additional or new cable decoding equipment that can handle HDTV."

It doesn't look like mis-communication. It's very specific information. I didn't know I couldn't tune channels above 69. I tried to connect the cable to MyHD card and I tried channels 105-107 and the card searched for signals, but couldn't find anything.

What could be happening is that they are not testing it 24/7. I'll try some other time. The problems is I have to disconnect my cable modem to plug it to my OTA tuner ...

Did anyone try to tune those channels? I don't know many people that have OTA tuner ...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DonBerg
The problem is that the OTA HD tuners can only tune channels 2-69, can't get cable channels 105-107.
Are you sure? Most modern TV tuners have a "capture range" of at least 2Mz, which is why a TV tuner set for "cable" tuning and tuned to, say, channel 77 can capture analog channel 26.

I'd try tuning to broadcast DTV channels 49, 50 and 51 to try to capture programming on cable channels 105, 106 and 107.

·
Banned
992 Posts
Waters,

If you only have Roadrunner, they probably have a trap in your line that cuts out a lot of the cable channels.

Sorry.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have basic analog cable. I don't have a cable box, so I plug the cable straight to my tv and my cable modem. I would never have roadrunner by itself, since they would charge me $80 bucks for that, instead of the $45 I pay since I have basic cable package.

Since I don't have digital cable, would I still have this trap?

Has ANYONE in SE Michigan tried to tune those channels? Am I the only one trying?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Waters_10

Since I don't have digital cable, would I still have this trap?
I believe they don't set or unset any traps whether or not you have digital cable. The access control is whether or not you have the box.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by balazer
I believe they don't set or unset any traps whether or not you have digital cable. The access control is whether or not you have the box.
But in Waters_10's case, the trapping would be inadvertent. His cable line likely has about a 400Mz to 450Mz lowpass filter on it to restrict his signals to the unscrambled basic, so that he cannot use a bootleg tuner box to unscramble the sync suppresses channels. Cable channels 105 -107 occupy 678Mz to 696Mz and would also be filtered off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.