AVS Forum banner

8181 - 8200 of 9577 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P /forum/post/20162930

Yes the boxes up and down convert. I am not sure if it is the best conversion but using a fixed single resolution makes channel changing much quicker as my tv's and projector do not have to sync with changing resolutions. I leave my boxes set to the native resolution of the tv or projector. I have 8640HDC and 4250HDC's.

For most people today their TV native resolution is 1080p...

·
Registered
846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtocci /forum/post/20158538

Anyone experience this problem?? I'm gonna connect coax to nx810 from cable box to see if this problem is specific to HDMI, or not.

You got all the answers I would have given. Try "component" (red/blue/green video, red/white audio) cables to still get HD and verify if something related to HDMI is the issue. Like someone else said, coax will look bad and not be HD. /Dan

·
Registered
427 Posts
Good news for Time Warner Cable Northeast Ohio/Western Pennsylvania

New HD channels "Coming in May"

OWN(Oprah)

Sundance

GSN

YES Network

Oxygen

The HUB

Also coming "soon"

HBO HD On Demand

MAX HD On Demand

With more HD channels coming later this year!

Got that in mailer today along with a new channel lineup card for the upcoming movement of a bunch of SD channels. They say the changes they're going to make will make room for the new HD channels but still no word about Wideband.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Did TWC change the way the broadcast SD TV recently? I ask because i still have a SD CRT in my bedroom that i watch stuff on while in bed or when getting ready for work and things look like they are cutoff on the left and right.

It appears they are broadcasting wide screen formatted SD without letterboxing. so it fills the area and cuts off a bunch.

anyone else having this issue?

TV is connected right to the wall no cable box

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna /forum/post/20218412

Did TWC change the way the broadcast SD TV recently? I ask because i still have a SD CRT in my bedroom that i watch stuff on while in bed or when getting ready for work and things look like they are cutoff on the left and right.

It appears they are broadcasting wide screen formatted SD without letterboxing. so it fills the area and cuts off a bunch.

anyone else having this issue?

TV is connected right to the wall no cable box

This is more or less the norm now. I've noticed it with TWC in the Hudson Valley, NY, and w/ Cablevision on Long Island. It's not unique to TWC.

Cheers!

-Doug

·
Registered
2,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstoffa /forum/post/20218507

This is more or less the norm now.

Great. Now I'll have to go visit both my mother and my sister and "readjust" their TV's.

Both have HD sets but only standard cable and so keep them set on ZOOM to fill the screen.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
It's not necessarily Time Warner. Many stations have gone to an HD only feed that is set up for "center-cut" to display on SD sets. IE: the station is always broadcasting a 16:9 widescreen picture but the image is center-cut and lops off the outside edges. Conversely, Fox News has gone to an HD only letterbox feed. If you have an HD set, you see a full widescreen image, but if you have an SD set you get a letterboxed pictures.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 /forum/post/20218677

It's not necessarily Time Warner. Many stations have gone to an HD only feed that is set up for "center-cut" to display on SD sets. IE: the station is always broadcasting a 16:9 widescreen picture but the image is center-cut and lops off the outside edges. Conversely, Fox News has gone to an HD only letterbox feed. If you have an HD set, you see a full widescreen image, but if you have an SD set you get a letterboxed pictures.

You are supposed to blame TWC!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 /forum/post/20218955

You are supposed to blame TWC!

Hey, when they are wrong or at fault I hold their feet to the fire. Case in point has been with Navigator, but when they do right I give them credit. Like how they got TruTV HD added in time for the NCAA because Syracuse had games there. Even though they lost, TWC came through. In this instance, I doubt TWC is doing anything to mess with the format. They usually just pass through whatever they get (they may do some compression or signal shaping) through to the subs.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Manhattan, Brooklyn/Queens and Mount Vernon

April 1, 2011

Time Warner Cable's agreements with programmers and broadcasters to carry their services and stations routinely expire from time to time. We are usually able to obtain renewals or extensions of such agreements, but in order to comply with applicable regulations, we must inform you when an agreement is about to expire. The following agreements are due to expire soon, and we may be required to cease carriage of one or more of these services/stations in the near future:

AAJ, American Life, BBC America, BBC America HD, CCTV-9, Chinese Channel, Chinese Cinema, Current TV, E!, E! HD, Encore, Encore HD, Encore Action, Encore Drama, Encore Love, Encore Mystery, Encore WAM!, Encore Westerns, Erotic Networks/Pleasure, Fuse, Fuse HD, Golf Channel, Golf Channel HD, Jus Punjabi, KBN, LATV, Lifetime, News 12, Polski Radio, RTVi, SiTV**, STARZ!, STARZ! HD, Starz Cinema, Starz Comedy, Starz Comedy HD, Starz Edge, Starz Edge HD, Starz in Black, Starz Kids and Family, Starz Kids and Family HD, Style, Style HD, Supercanal, The Arabic Channel, The Bangladesh Channel, The Korean Channel, TruTV, TV Japan, TV Polonia, Weather Channel, Weather Channel HD and Zee TV.

**SiTV may no longer be part of our DTV offering. SiTV may only be available as part of our DTV en Español and El Paquetazo offerings.

In addition, from time to time we make certain changes in the services that we offer in order to better serve our customers. The following changes are planned:

On or about May 11, 2011 we will launch the following channels: Fearnet on ch. 268, CTC on ch. 519, France 24 on ch. 501, Shop Zeal 2 on ch. 182, Shop Zeal 3 on ch. 183, Shop Zeal 4 on ch. 184, Shop Zeal 5 on ch. 185, Fearnet HD on ch. 292, GMC HD on ch. 680, OWN HD on ch. 682, WGN HD on ch. 679, Fox Deportes HD on ch. 486, ESPN Deportes HD on ch. 487 and Cinemax HD on Demand on ch. 219. These services cannot be accessed on CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Products purchased at retail without additional, two-way capable equipment. Fearnet (ch. 268) and Fearnet HD (ch. 292) will be part of our TWC Movie Pass offering.

The previously announced launch of TWCable Info Channel will also occur on May 11, 2011. As a reminder, this channel will be a basic service available only in digital format and viewable with digital cable-compatible equipment such as a digital converter or a digital television (or other device) that includes a QAM tuner. Also, this service cannot be accessed on CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Products purchased at retail without additional, two-way capable equipment.

We will launch the following International Premium packages on this date as well: Mandarin Passport, Mandarin ETTV Passport, Hindi Passport, Hindi Pass Plus, Filipino Pass Plus, Russian Passport and Russian Pass Plus. We will also cease carriage of TV Guide Network on Demand (ch. 1014) and its content will be moved to Entertainment on Demand (ch. 1012 & 1993).

On that date in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens we will launch Bloomberg HD on ch. 730. On that date in Mount Vernon we will launch Bloomberg HD on ch. 708 and Oxygen HD on ch. 753.

On or about May 18, 2011 we will launch Showtime HD on Demand on ch. 229.

On or about May 25, 2011 we will launch HBO HD on Demand on ch. 209.

NEW HD CHANNELS:

BLOOMBERG HD

ESPN DEPORTES HD

FOX DEPORTES HD

FEARNET HD

HBO ON DEMAND HD

CINEMAX ON DEMAND HD

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I heard that they were having problems with negotiations to carry FOX News Channel. That channel is not on the above list. Did they reach an agreement to continue carrying FOX News Channel?

·
Registered
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDOrlando /forum/post/20239562

Desert Hawk,

Apparently, a lot of Fox News agreements are coming up soon. Word is they will seek around $1 per customer.

They should pay me for the inconvenience of having to skip past it. We are real news junkies.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie33 /forum/post/0

They should pay me for the inconvenience of having to skip past it. We are real news junkies.

Real news junkies? What does a real news junkie watch?

8181 - 8200 of 9577 Posts