AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Time Warner Cable will be able to offer most of its customers this Sunday’s Super Bowl in high-definition after cutting agreements -- some of which are temporary -- with local CBS affiliates.

Time Warner divisions that have cut deals with CBS affiliates during the past week include Kansas City and Rochester, N.Y.

Four of Time Warner’s 31 divisions don’t have agreements to offer the HD feed to customers divisionwide: western and eastern Ohio; Albany, N.Y.; and Portland, Maine.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Where I live TWC has HDNet. ESPN HD is one of the only channels they're missing that all the other providers have.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just a suggestion: If you live in one of the areas without the agreement, write and call your CBS affiliate. ?? Be polite, but let them know that you are disappointed that they couldn't work out an agreement with TWso that you could watch the SB. Might help.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I apologize that this suggestion is given too late to be useful but have you considered bypassing the cable company and getting the signal yourself? If your local CBS affiliate offers HD then for little more than $200 you can get an ATSC receiver on eBay or one of several PCI receiver boards for your PC. You put an antenna in your attic or on your roof and then it doesn't matter how little regard the cable company or local affiliate have for your situation. If cable (or satellite) is your only option then you have to hope for the best, but for a large number of people the choice (at a price) is yours to make.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dayton Ohio I have WHIO HD on 707. It looks like we have the Super Bowl in HD. Wahooo. Also do not forget the Daytona 500 will be on the NBC HD in a few weeks. Hopefully 707 CBS will stay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dayton still does not have an ABC station or the HD Networks which other TWC areas have. Hopefully we will all get them soon. I'd call and complain or request. It cant hurt. Good Luck !!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got this response today from WHIO...

Thank you for your message. Time Warner will start carrying our digital signal this weekend just in time for the Superbowl on channel ch 707. Enjoy! ...

Hope it happens!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JRBuckeye
Dayton Ohio I have WHIO HD on 707. It looks like we have the Super Bowl in HD. Wahooo. Also do not forget the Daytona 500 will be on the NBC HD in a few weeks. Hopefully 707 CBS will stay.
I called and the CSR said that channel 707 will go away on Feb 3rd... but contracts are still in negotiation...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Being in NE Ohio and not hearing anything yet, I sent an email to TWC last night. This was my reply today:

"Hello:

We are please that announce that SuperBowl XXXVIII will be made available in HDTV on channel 541 beginning at 12:01est. on February 1, 2004.

Time Warner Cable

Northeastern Ohio

"

woohoo, I am so happy now, thanks Time Warner!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bighurt
channel 541 beginning at 12:01est. on February 1, 2004.

Time Warner Cable

Northeastern Ohio

"

woohoo, I am so happy now, thanks Time Warner!!!
Darn sales idiots. I called the same TWC (I'm in akron). Actually, I think I asked the wrong question. I asked if CBS would be added this weekend, as I had talked to the head of engineering weeks earlier and was told it would be there. The response I got was the they were "not adding any more channels this weekend." That was Saturday morning. The same day as this post.

Had it been added, I would have driven to get the box.

Thanks TWC for getting the word to the sales crew. NOT!!!!!

[edit]

Just called the support guys in Akron. They have been flooded with calls. They are being told that CBS will NOT be added. My guy double checked. It will be there, but they were told all ay it wouldn't be. Nice communication guys.

[/edit]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Its up on 541 in Akron (Cuyahoga Falls) Ohio. Nothing like the last minute!!! Ill be scrambling to throw together my superbowl sunday now, gotta share the HD goodness with some friends!

Bill

PS... Lets hope they just do the negotiations and keep it on the air, I mean, if its that easy to get the signal out to us, what the hells stopping them? I dont know the black arts (and believe me, hearing some of the crap about it makes me think it really is a black art!) of the broadcast business, but isnt the HD feed always identical to the SD feed, except some programs are now in HD? What the heck is the diff to offer one and not the other?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have to give credit to both Raycom and TWC on this. Yes, maybe Raycom wants too much to let TWC have it's WOIO-HD feed, but at least they stepped-up to the table and didn't screw the fans. Props to both companies for coming through here.

Now...let's just hope the channel doesn't go away :) We in the NE Ohio area on TWC have been waiting for CBS HD for a while now:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Very true. Maybe that's what's holding things up...who knows.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.