AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just picked up a brand new Samsung HL-S5086W over at Fry's tonight. Now I'm thinking about what to do for HD programming. I've currently got Time Warner (formerly Comcast) basic cable. Unfortunately, the set doesn't have a QAM tuner. I don't watch that much tv - I bought the set more for movies, games, and pc stuff - but I'd still like to get some HD stations going. I don't want to dump a bunch of money into an expanded tv package.

Right now, the two options I'm looking at are trying to get Time Warner to give me a set top box, or putting up an antenna. My antenna options are somewhat limited, since I live in a townhouse. Can't have an antenna above the roofline, and my attic is somewhat small, though it might still be my best option. The previous owners had a dish network dish mounted on the side of the house and it's still there - the HOA has never complained about it, so I could maybe swap it out for an antenna of similar size. I just don't want to stick anything huge over there.

I'd probably be willing to pay Time Warner 5 bucks a month for a box... maybe even 10, but certainly not more than that. Anyone have any experience with them in this area? What would be my best bet? I'm thinking go down to the service center directly, try to find someone who will hook me up without a runaround.

If I can't find a box, does anyone have any antenna suggestions that might suit my needs? I've seen a few around on here, but the choices are kind of overwhelming.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
"Can't have an antenna above the roofline, and my attic is somewhat small, though it might still be my best option. The previous owners had a dish network dish mounted on the side of the house and it's still there - the HOA has never complained about it, so I could maybe swap it out for an antenna of similar size. I just don't want to stick anything huge over there.''

As long as you own the roof, you can put up any antenna you want, the HOA can't legally stop you.

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

For your cable options, you'd be better off checking the local reception forum here for a thread for your area to get in touch with other local TWC customers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.