AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I've been following the threads on a number of AVS boards for months and while I've seen a little on this topic, I haven't seen an out-and-out answer, and this seemed like a better board to post in than the ReplayTV forum.

First a few notes to make sure I haven't assumed anything incorrect. My tv is a Sony 32" XBR, KV32XBR400 model which supports 480p and 1080i, and I currently subscribe to Time Warner digital cable in Manhattan. From what I understand, it is possible to get on a waiting list for an HDTV set top box by calling Bob Watson's office as detailed in other threads, which is what I am planning to do.

OK on to my question. I use a ReplayTV with my current above setup. From what I've read I THINK the box that TWC gives out does output with svideo in addition to component for the HD content (ie I only need one box for everything, I don't need my current box for most channels plus the additional one for the couple of channels broadcasting in HD). My question is will it output from both types at the same time?

An example might make this easier as I don't think I'm explaining it well. I'd like to run the component outs from this box directly into the component inputs on my tv. I'd also like to run the svideo outs into the ReplayTV inputs. Let's say "The King Of Queens" is on in HD. Can I be watching it in HD, while my Replay is recording the SVideo version of it? Audio I assume I can just split at some point and run that into my Replay and my receiver. Weird input settings aren't too big a deal as I just use a Pronto so I should be able to handle most awkward combinations with some macros, but I want to make sure I can get this to work before I go put myself on the list.

Has anyone done something like this before, am I making some dumb assumptions here? Thanx in advance,

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Quote:
From what I've read I THINK the box that TWC gives out does output with svideo in addition to component for the HD content
No, it doesn't. On HD channels, you get a blank screen on the svideo output

------------------

Alex

[This message has been edited by work permit (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the reply -- will I just get a blank screen when true HD stuff is being broadcast? Or will it always be that way for a channel that shows any HD material.

Regardless, what would people recommend - I am thinking now I should just keep my existing digital cable box and split the cable so that it feeds into both the existing box and the HDTV box separately. That still lets me Replay whatever I want, but would let me watch certain programs live in HD. But again if someone has a better solution or if I've made another bad assumption, I would really appreciate it knowing http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tibs,

I hesitate to reply because I'm in Houston where we are a bit farther along with digital and hi def cable (although there are still plenty of hassles involved - like 5 technical service calls in the first two weeks). In our case, we all have TWO boxes -- the digital cable box plus the HD box. They're connected with a high speed cable plus audio connects. I'm sorry I can't imagine hooking up a PVR -- heck I haven't even gotten my time-shifting S-VHS hooked up where it can record while we're watching another channel. Good luck.

Leslie

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tibs, your setup wont work. The digital channells abc/cbs/hbo/sho etc, cant be recorded to a tivo/replay. They dont have the capability yet. As another poster said you will get sound, but a black screen. Your only option at this point is to watch digital/high def when its broadcast, no timeshifting allowed. I have the HD twc box here in daytona beach. Your stuck with no tivo capability. Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
you will always see a blank screen on a channel that shows any HD material.

Keep in mind, the hd channels are duplicated in sdtv at different channel assignments (with the exception of wnet-hd, whose programs are different than wnet). You can still watch and record those channels in sdtv.

As far as I can tell, the dtv boxes used in nyc don't support recording on one channel while watching another. This is the case with both the hdtv and sdtv boxes.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Though I have digital (non-HD) cable here in the Detroit area the analog channels up through about 75 or so are still sent in a format compatible with my cable ready Tivo, TVs, & VCR's, as long as I use a splitter before the cable box.

Is that also true with digital HD cable?

- Tom

------------------
Getting started with HTPC:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
The Anti-DMCA Website .
s>
And Free Dmitri Sklyarovs>

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanx everyone for your input. It sounds like (if the waiting list ever moves and I get an HD box!) I should just hold onto my existing cable box and split the cable if I don't want to lose any replaytv functionality. Thanx again.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm in exactly the same position; I have an upgraded Tivo box that I value highly, but also have an HD cable box ordered.

There is absolutely no way to get NTSC signal from an svideo port on the new cable box to feed to the tivo?

There must be an economical way around this besides paying for two cable boxes.

Anything come to mind, or will pretty much any solution involve buying more equipment?

--Karl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.